405th Challenge Coin anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be up for some!
been working on this for the past half hour or so?
wanted to pitch in an idea :p
it's just a simple heads-tails design
I could probably put in some more detail in the armor if anyone would like to see it.
(ribbing in neck seal, vents, blah blah)

Coin.jpg

Anthony

Boo! No muckle face! No seriously. If it winds up being a Mk VI (still voting Mk V), it shouldn't have a muckle face.

And as much as I like Honor, Armor, Unity (It came from my own Honor, Armor, Community a long time ago), It already says that on the back. We need something else on the front. "Where Spartans are Made" maybe or "Brothers and Sisters in Armor" or "Better Building Brotherhood"or something.

And I think it would be sweet to have a halo date on the front since the real year is on the tail side. "405th, Building Better Spartans since 2517" or some such.

Pic to illustrate muckle face (I think I know what pic you pulled that head from but it suffers from the same distortion problems as the muckle) And yeah I know I need to shave.

I aagree on the NO mukle face, but I have to say my vote is MK VI rather than V. Mk V is cool and classic and all but I think MK VI just looks nicer.

I would take 2 for sure...gotta vote Mk V too but id specify the halo 3 hd version. I love the where Spartans are made slogan for the coins.

OOOooooo...........I think I would like one.

I too agree with the motto: "Where Spartans Are Made" to appear somewhere on the coin.

I also prefer the MK VI helmet, BUT I would ALSO prefer a personalized one and have the hayabusa helmet instead. :p haha

I'm a 'busa chic, so I gotta go with the hayabusa helmet. XD hehe

I would be totally down for one. I also think we should use the MKv helmet instead, but it should be the B version that noble six wears in the game; in honor of Halo reach.

What about something more generic, like UNSC, as opposed to Spartan specific? Not everyone here has/does Spartans. At least no phrases specifically mentioning Spartans.

I recommend leaving off ANY of the helmets - it's not going to be possible to make everyone happy. As soon as you choose one you potentially alienate everyone else who prefers something else. We also should avoid "celebrating Reach" or tying it into any one specific game. The focus of this coin should be the 405th, both because of who we are and because of potential copyright/IP issues. We should have PLENTY of internal material and creative artists here to pull from...

That being said, if this moves forward I'm still in for a few pending the final design. :D

As always, this is just my opinion and therefore subject to change!

I think of two things it should have "Where Spartans Are Made" on the coin somewhere, and I think for one side of the Coin you could use the Halo ring instead of the number 2 or 3 like the games had have 405th inside it.

I'm in! But I actually have to agree with the no helm idea so no one feels left out... UNLESS!!! What about a side-on view of all (or the most popular) helm variants forming a ring (Halo?) around the edge of the coin with the Mk VI in the center? (granted I know nothing about modeling or design so I don't know how hard that would actually be)

Having a 405th coin would be sweet. I'd definitely pitch it to help fund, as well own a couple. Becoming a part ofnthe 405th has been a fun and even education experience, that a little token liken coin would be perfect to have. I definitely agree about NO helmets, it'd cause controversy inside the 405th and possibly have some copyright issues. Having the 405th logo and "where Spartans are made" would be nice to see on the coin.

Typically with challenge coins, one side shows the general unit/organization (e.g. 1st Bn 14th Marines, 4th Force Recon, or in this case 405th Inf Div) while the other side is more specific (e.g. Comm Platoon, Commanding Offficer, OIF 2-7, Marine Corps Ball, etc.).

So in this case, with different challenge coin runs the 405th logo on the front would remain the same, while the design on the back that people are debating about should change for specific conventions attended, "garrison" (for lack of a better term) affiliation, etc. That makes them collectible and a challenge to earn.

Just my two cents on the approach. Of course, that would require a more consistent base of people interested in buying them...still, I like the idea and I'll definitely be looking into it as well.

Love the concept B1ah! I would love something like this! Making it something that is earned. Like for those who go to ComicCon, DragonCon, make elite or infantryman status, etc. And I like the idea of a variety of coins for the various 'achievements'. And I love the "Where Spartans are Made" theme. It goes back to the roots of the 405th, either that or something like the "Building Character" theme.

I think you guys are looking at a WAY over-priced manufacturer. I am a member of the Rebel Legion and have been collecting Rebel Legion and 501st coins for a couple years. Both groups use www.challengecoinsrus.com. Check out the basic pricing chart in the link below.

http://challengecoinsrus.com/coin-pricing.htm

And in case you don't know, the Rebel Legion and 501st are the premier Star Wars costuming groups that span the entire planet, with thousands of members each, and fully supported by George Lucas himself.

P.S. Oh yeah, and I'd be interested in several 405th coins myself!

Quoted for emphasis, just in case it was lost in the thread. That company also is proven and does excellent work - I'm not familiar with the company that was posted in the first thread. It seems like they are charging a high price though. It all depends on how many coins the 405th is able to actually buy, but the price he gave is enough to keep whoever's doing the run above the red - dye included. That price is probably for an order of at least 250. It could be the same for a run of 100 though. Again, it just depends on how many could actually be purchased.

I'd be interested in at least 2, depending on the price. If it's $10 or more, I would only get 1. The other challenge coins I've purchased have been from $5 to $7, with $7 being too expensive for a general run.

On the helmet issue, if there's a plan to do more than one coin in the future, we could always do MC for the first coin, another helmet for the next coin in a year or two, and so on. Sort of makes them more of a collectable that way to have versions, and covers new guys coming in down the line. I'm not sure if having the helmet on the merchandise would break copyright though as far as Bungie is concerned or if the 405th has a little bit of leeway.

On the helmet issue, if there's a plan to do more than one coin in the future, we could always do MC for the first coin, another helmet for the next coin in a year or two, and so on. Sort of makes them more of a collectable that way to have versions, and covers new guys coming in down the line. I'm not sure if having the helmet on the merchandise would break copyright though as far as Bungie is concerned or if the 405th has a little bit of leeway.

THIS, is a very cool idea. I would definitely be interested in collecting these.

I second this idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back