405th Challenge Coin anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW Immortalking

Hey everyone I've been thinking of this idea for a while now and I noticed on the Penny Arcade Expo Forums that they're making Challenge coins for PAX 2010 and I was thinking we should try to get our own.
Here's a link to the thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=118356

Apparently having a Die made costs about $300 which actually isn't much if we get enough people on this and each coin is about $11

If there's enough interest I'll contact the guy incharge of the PAX coins and talk to him about how it was working with Northwest Territorial Mint

Anyone interested?

I'd be down for that, a 405th commemorative coin would be sweet. You could even do a contest and have members submit ideas. Then have the members vote on the one they like the best.

I would be very interested in this.

Just wanted to say something, the guy had the math wrong when calculating paypal's cut Its all just a matter of algebra... (they charge 2.9% on the full ammount you give them, he forgot to account for that)
x= what you give paypal
y=paypal's cut

y + 20 = x --> x = y + 20
y= x (.029) + .3 --> x = (y -.3) / .029

y + 20 = (y -.3) / .029
.029 ( y + 20) = y - .3
.029y + .029(20) = y -.3
.029(20) + .3 = y - .029y = .971y
[.029(20) +.3] / .971 = y <---- this is the part we are interested in
= .906 (or .91 rounded up) NOT the .88 he thought...

so, to clear 20$ you have to give paypal 20.91
just swap the (20) for whatever ammount you want to clear from paypal. so if you wanted to clear 30$... give them 31.21

Just thought you would want to know exacts if this works out so you don't end up losing a few cents on every transaction. Paypal legally has to disclose all their charges else they would not be alowed to function as a financial business...

^_^

Very interested. I think the final price for theRPF coins wound up being like $14 plus shipping so it seems very reasonable.

I think that Adam should be the final one to okay the design though. If this is going to be a semi-official thing, you should get the blessing of the boss man.

This project is going to need a very good 3D modeler/designer too to be successful like the 405th rings (and even those lovelies were plauged by real life problems).

Anyway, I'd be willing to slap the money down for 2 ahead of time (app. $30-$40) to get the ball rolling once a design is created and approved.

I told adam about the challenge coins, but he didnt know what they were lol

I really love the idea, also if the challenge coins start being awesome, we should create like a yearly coin (coin of 2010) or an elite coin or some other stuff :)

Its like having real life achievements xD, but you have to buy them lol

I think Your right on the final ok, Adam should have the final say. Also I'd be down for two once the final design is approved.

I'd love to put forth potential designs for the coin. I can draw by hand but I'm not so great with photoshop (yet) so I don't know how I would make it look like those coins they show in pics on that thread. So would it work to design something but have someone who is more skilled with digital work to clean up the piece? Cause I'd totally be down for that.

I think you guys are looking at a WAY over-priced manufacturer. I am a member of the Rebel Legion and have been collecting Rebel Legion and 501st coins for a couple years. Both groups use www.challengecoinsrus.com. Check out the basic pricing chart in the link below.

http://challengecoinsrus.com/coin-pricing.htm

And in case you don't know, the Rebel Legion and 501st are the premier Star Wars costuming groups that span the entire planet, with thousands of members each, and fully supported by George Lucas himself.

P.S. Oh yeah, and I'd be interested in several 405th coins myself!

I would suggest to figure in for the cost of the master die that everyone interested in a coin pitches in like 5 or 10$ plus the price of the coins they want and when the costs are met the surplus goes towards the website upkeep or overflows into another 405th wide venture

I would definately be interested in 3 coins

If there is serious interest in something of this nature from the forum members, we could do a 405th.com challenge coin. I count maybe 6 interested people here which is maybe 9 coins out of a 100 that it would require to keep the production costs lower than approx $10 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back