"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press and hold the left and right mouse buttons. Holding the right button allows you to rotate the piece, and the wheel zooms in and out.

Try holding both buttons and then moving the mouse in there. That moves something, but I don't know whether it's the model or the "camera".

That just moves the camera and another question is it possible to change the size of a 3D picture, I have 2 spartan helmets ones the regular mark V or VI (forgot) and the other is the new EVA but the EVA is like 1000x bigger when i import it onto pepakura with the other halo pieces

That just moves the camera and another question is it possible to change the size of a 3D picture, I have 2 spartan helmets ones the regular mark V or VI (forgot) and the other is the new EVA but the EVA is like 1000x bigger when i import it onto pepakura with the other halo pieces

To resize (make it bigger or smaller int the left window) the 3d piece, click in the left window and use the mouse scroll wheel.

Sorry for the double post but my laptop wont let me edit my previous post but anyways i wanted to know when you start to assemble your cardstock where is it best to start from, the bottom where you would insert your head or does it not matter?

Sorry for the double post but my laptop wont let me edit my previous post but anyways i wanted to know when you start to assemble your cardstock where is it best to start from, the bottom where you would insert your head or does it not matter?

Honestly, I haven't ever tried to start from any certain section yet. I've pep'd 3 helmets so far. I start off by finding the largest peices first and go from there. So far The biggest parts usually end up leading me to do the top, back or sides, then I get to the point were I can start doing two sides at once and then make my way towards the front visor area..and leave the small detail sections for last.
Also...I've left the file opened on the comp screen and when I've gotten stumped or stalled out...I look at the 3d model and the pages, go find that page and start working on that specific section.
It all starts with the first piece...match it up to the second and go from there. The more you do it, the more you'll get the hang of it.
/salute
T.

When you're doing a helmet, starting from the bottom can be a good idea, because it allows an early fitting test. Also, it's a good idea to build groups of pieces and then assemble those, instead of attaching every tiny piece directly to the model.

Ok thanks guys for the help and for chest piece i assume it's the same thing and it's just glue to attach them together right?....I'm that big a n00b :)

Ok thanks guys for the help and for chest piece i assume it's the same thing and it's just glue to attach them together right?....I'm that big a n00b :)

Yeah, just glue. But the chest piece due to its size tends to warp more when you apply resin, so it might be a good idea to stiffen it a little.

I figured someone might be able to answer my question here since I searched the site and can't find the answer anywhere. So I decided I'm going to make halo armor for my boyfriend for Halloween. I really would only have the weekends to work on the whole thing, but do you think everything would be ready in time for Halloween, granted that it's like only a month away? I'm completely new at this forgive me. I really don't want to be slaving away at this and not be able to finish on time, since I do on top of this have to make my costume too.

so put something on the inside is what your saying?

Yes. Flying Squirrel's models already have support struts, maybe these are enough. In addition (or as a replacement, if your model doesn't have them), you can use also use wooden struts.

I figured someone might be able to answer my question here since I searched the site and can't find the answer anywhere. So I decided I'm going to make halo armor for my boyfriend for Halloween. I really would only have the weekends to work on the whole thing, but do you think everything would be ready in time for Halloween, granted that it's like only a month away? I'm completely new at this forgive me. I really don't want to be slaving away at this and not be able to finish on time, since I do on top of this have to make my costume too.

It would be a lot better to target next year's halloween.

Even if you were very experienced, four weekends are not a lot of time. If you're a quick study and gifted with some talent, you may be able to finish some low-def models, slap on some resin and give it a little colour, but that will look rather edgy and unprofessional. Those perfect looking suits you may have seen are definitely out of the question in such a hurry.

Also, since this sounds a little like it's going to be a surprise: Keep in mind that you will definitely need your boyfriend around for scaling the pieces and to check the fit. All those costumes are tailored to their wearer. If it's not a surprise, then you should at least make him help you, that will double the man hours you have. That way you still aren't going to get a smooth suit, but you'll at least get a good edgy suit ;-)

It would be a lot better to target next year's halloween.

Even if you were very experienced, four weekends are not a lot of time. If you're a quick study and gifted with some talent, you may be able to finish some low-def models, slap on some resin and give it a little colour, but that will look rather edgy and unprofessional. Those perfect looking suits you may have seen are definitely out of the question in such a hurry.

Also, since this sounds a little like it's going to be a surprise: Keep in mind that you will definitely need your boyfriend around for scaling the pieces and to check the fit. All those costumes are tailored to their wearer. If it's not a surprise, then you should at least make him help you, that will double the man hours you have. That way you still aren't going to get a smooth suit, but you'll at least get a good edgy suit ;-)

Aw ok, that's a bit upsetting that it is probably not possible :/. Thanks so much anyway!. I'm glad you were honest about it. I'm definitely still going to try and make it regardless if it isn't ready for Halloween, cause it seems like a fun project either way.

Aw ok, that's a bit upsetting that it is probably not possible :/. Thanks so much anyway!. I'm glad you were honest about it. I'm definitely still going to try and make it regardless if it isn't ready for Halloween, cause it seems like a fun project either way.

Well, I didn't say it was impossible to get anything finished by then. If you pick something easy, like a marine costume or a really low def Mjolnir, you may be able to pull it off. But as I said: Perfection takes time. And while some people may like to accurately represent the MC from Halo:CE, I personally like to interpolate anything that is missing due to technical limitations - and the edges of the Chief's Mark V are definitely due to a technical limitation. Also, if you've only just come here and never before thought of making armour, you should also count in some time just to read up.

Why don't you get some blueish bathing suits for the both of you and go as Cortana and Cortano? ;-)
Or, more seriously, you could dress your boyfriend up as Beowulf. Beowulf is another AI and basically a guy in a hood, hands and face obscured by shadow. As far as I know, he doesn't appear anywhere except in The Fall of Reach (the novel), so you can't really do anything wrong there.

This is my first time here and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've seen a tutorials making Master Chief armor and I really want to follow through with it but I don't know where to get the blue prints or where I can get the materials. Also, how do I get and use Pepakura, I know it's required to make the armor. Any help would be appreciated.

So I need:
A list of materials and where to get them.
A quick summery of Pepakura.
And if someone has a link to a complete walkthrough I would Appreciate it.

Welcome to the 405th! Please take some time to read through all of the stickies and watch Adam's introductory video.
This will give you the answers all of your questions above (and quite a few more).

What kind of glue is best for connecting parts?

I like super glue, it's fast and strong, but of couse a certain risk of getting stuck (quite literally) is involved. Many people use hot glue, which gives you the possibility to take pieces apart again if you heat them back up. It also gives you a bulky glue gun.

Basically, you can choose whatever glue you like or even some kinds of tape, but make sure that the resin you will probably be using later on doesn't eat it away. Duct tape won't work for that reason, for example. If you absolutely want to use such a glue, switching from polyester to epoxy resin might be an option.

What kind of glue is best for connecting parts?

Tape-NO, Superglue-If you use too much you stand a chance of the glue not drying right or bonding your skin to the paper which can be painful, Hot Glue-If you use a low temp glue gun, it will say on the packaging if it is or not that would be the best choice and perhaps the cheapest in the long run.

I would like to start my first project (Master Chiefs MJOLNIR Mark VI), but I'm looking at the Pepakura website and theirs multiple programs. Which one should I download if I just want to print out (not design) armor, and where do I get the MJOLNIR Mark VI design? Also, where can I buy "WAUSAU INDEX CARD STOCK 110LB" and can any printer use this paper?

I would like to start my first project (Master Chiefs MJOLNIR Mark VI), but I'm looking at the Pepakura website and theirs multiple programs. Which one should I download if I just want to print out (not design) armor, and where do I get the MJOLNIR Mark VI design? Also, where can I buy "WAUSAU INDEX CARD STOCK 110LB" and can any printer use this paper?

Since this is your first post (aside from your self-introduction), welcome to the 405th!
Make sure to read through the stickies. Apparently you have already started, because you picked up the cardstock product name on the shopping list, but most of your other problems would probably also solve themselves if you read long enough.

That cardstock is nothing special. You can buy any cardstock of around 200 g/m². Don't go much heavier, though, or you'll have a hard time folding that stuff.

There is a thread somewhere here with a pepakura pack that includes files for basically every armour you can think of, including the Mark VI. You can find it with the search function (or look through my posts from last night, I wrote some senseless answer in that thread ;-))

To open these files, use Pepakura Designer. The Viewer can't scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back