"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen several references to Rondo throughout the forums, and I've gathered that it is a mixture of Bondo and Resin. Is this the same resin that is used to harden the pep model? and what are the mixing ratios?

On a relatd note, has anyone tried mixing fiberglass into their Rondo?

Ok, so I'm a noob and don't know much about resin. What I do know is that it is extremely toxic, and I've heard of 'aqua resin' and how it's less or non-toxic... Basicly my problem is I have cats, and I don't know anywhere I could work where they wouldn't frolic, so I was wondering if this aqua resin would be ok to use, or if there's anything better. Or maybe I'm over estimating the toxicity of all this stuff, I really don't know, that's why I'm asking. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Resins are really only as dangerous as the chemicals used for acrylic nails - which vary in themselves. Yes, there are safer options.
In most countries, you can try looking for AquaGlass, which is a water-based resin and a little more friendly to those who haven't had much experience with resins.

You can use other resins as well, like epoxy resins - at least in theory, I don't know if anyone has tried them ;-)
EDIT: Just read that somebody does use epoxy resin and even that it doesn't eat tape.

Both my brother and I use epoxy the majority of the time, it's really nowhere near as bad as many people make it out to be! If anything, I usually prefer it to poly. It gives a slightly different texture and feels more solid as a final product than most of the other resins I've used - but it can seem noticeably heavier depending on what it's on and how you've used it...

I've seen several references to Rondo throughout the forums, and I've gathered that it is a mixture of Bondo and Resin. Is this the same resin that is used to harden the pep model? and what are the mixing ratios?

On a relatd note, has anyone tried mixing fiberglass into their Rondo?

By saying "resin" most people here mean a polyester resin. That stuff is intended to be used with reinforcement fibre like glass. Bondo is also based on such a resin, which is why the two mix so well. The mixing ratio is up to you, depending on you liquid you want it to be. You should have a look at Ben Streeper's tutorial videos, they're really good.

Resins are really only as dangerous as the chemicals used for acrylic nails - which vary in themselves.

You may be right that those two basically emit the same toxic substances and certainly neither will kill you on the spot, but take into consideration the sheer amount of resin you use on a set of armour. For a set of nails, you may need a few grams, for armour, you are working with KILOgrams, and in addition to that, you spread them out over much larger surfaces and they take longer to cure. This results in a toxin emission that is larger by a factor of thousands.

suggested bondo application method? i was thinking about just using it to smooth the cracks where parts come together. but i need to finish it by the friday before halloween.....the whole suit.....yeah.......helmet is done tho. working on chest and busting my but to finish. High school makes it hard you know?

suggested bondo application method? i was thinking about just using it to smooth the cracks where parts come together. but i need to finish it by the friday before halloween.....the whole suit.....yeah.......helmet is done tho. working on chest and busting my but to finish. High school makes it hard you know?

Fiftybellow just asked how to apply bondo best and received an answer.
Hint: Even if you're short on time - reading stuff on the forums is never wrong!

High School doesn't exist here, so I'm afraid I don't know how hard it makes things. But in the (not too unlikely) case that you don't get it done till your deadline hits you, let me repeat the tip I gave somebody else earlier today: There's always Beowulf as an easy costuming alternative.

So Im using FibreGlass resin to make my costume. when I make the helmet, is the cured resin going to be toxic when its pressed up against my face or is it safe when its cured

So Im using FibreGlass resin to make my costume. when I make the helmet, is the cured resin going to be toxic when its pressed up against my face or is it safe when its cured

Since this is your first post, welcome to the 405th!

Please take your time reading through the forums, especially the stickies, and watch Adam's introductory video.
You may also find that somebody else has already asked the very same question not so long ago (don't remember in which forum/thread though). The quick answer is: Once the resin is cured, it won't emit that toxic stuff any more. Basically that's when the smell is gone and the resin is hard.

I've seen some builds that use rondo for the inside of parts, is it just as good as fibreglass?

No. The majority of the strength of any reinforced plastic is provided not by the matrix (i.e. the resin), but by the reinforcement fibres (in our case usually glass textiles). Rondo is basically resin with some filling materials, therefore it's weaker than both reinforced and pure resin.
However, it will still be strong enough to make your costume and in return for the weaker result it's a lot easier to work with. Costumes are hardly demanding applications for these materials and it simply doesn't matter whether only you alone or you carrying your wife and kids can stand on your chestpiece, because in the end, nobody will have to stand on it anyways. So, if you prefer rondo, then go with it.

No. The majority of the strength of any reinforced plastic is provided not by the matrix (i.e. the resin), but by the reinforcement fibres (in our case usually glass textiles). Rondo is basically resin with some filling materials, therefore it's weaker than both reinforced and pure resin.
However, it will still be strong enough to make your costume and in return for the weaker result it's a lot easier to work with. Costumes are hardly demanding applications for these materials and it simply doesn't matter whether only you alone or you carrying your wife and kids can stand on your chestpiece, because in the end, nobody will have to stand on it anyways. So, if you prefer rondo, then go with it.

I would like to revise that ventrue I have seen some people mixing Bondo Glass which is Bondo with fiberglass strands with fiberglass resin to make a version of rondo with which I would say would definatly be stronger than regular fiberglassing but, doing rondo or what I just described also makes a lot more heat than just doing fiberglassing so you stand a higher chance of warping.

I would like to revise that ventrue I have seen some people mixing Bondo Glass which is Bondo with fiberglass strands with fiberglass resin to make a version of rondo with which I would say would definatly be stronger than regular fiberglassing but, doing rondo or what I just described also makes a lot more heat than just doing fiberglassing so you stand a higher chance of warping.

Yes, adding short fibres into rondo or resin will increase the strength, but that will not yield anything equal to resin reinforced with long fibres.

Hey guys,
Im new to the forums and ive been trying to figure out the resin and fibreglassing stuff. it is my understanding that you coat the outside with fibreglass resin, and after thats al dry you put fibreglass cloths on the inside and then coast it with the same resin.please correct me if im wrong, i really dont want to mess up my first helmet build.

Thanks dude, i'll have a think about what I will use now.

Hey guys,
Im new to the forums and ive been trying to figure out the resin and fibreglassing stuff. it is my understanding that you coat the outside with fibreglass resin, and after thats al dry you put fibreglass cloths on the inside and then coast it with the same resin.please correct me if im wrong, i really dont want to mess up my first helmet build.

Since this is your first post, welcome to the 405th!

The short answer is: Yes.
The longer answer is: Yes, and make sure to read all the stickies. there's more to keep in mind than just slapping that stuff on :)

I know, but I was wondering in case someone walks by

The effect on health is immediate and increases with exposure time.

The responsible thing to do is make sure nobody just "walks by". If you're outside, a few metres distance should be ok, if you're inside, open the window and close the door. Keep it closed at all times until the smell as completely dissipated. Also, tape a towel or something like that to the bottom of the door to keep the fumes in. If you can, stay in a room on the other side of your apartment, close that room's door as well and open a window in the section between the two.

However: Resin will not harden at much less than room temperature. So if it's cold outside, you'll actually have to work inside and even let it cure before opening the window and letting the cold air in. The alternative is keeping the model warm, but depending on how you do that, it's really expensive and environment-unfriendly at best and plain dangerous at worst, since resin is not only flammable but also has a very low flash point (somwhere right above 30°C). At that temperature, a flammable fume-air-mix can form, which is even capable of exploding.

Frightened yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back