"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Ah thats a US thing, i'd read about so many cm's of hardener to measure out using a ruler so wasnt sure if the 2 referred to 2cm that was just something i've read looking around here since i joined. If that works then i might try that method lol just guess a golf ball size and mix in the hardener. Will give it a go once i finish fibreglassing my gears chest armor. Been holding off going onto the bondo stage as im not familiar with it lol just like to know in advance what i need to do and reading the can didnt really help :p

Hi I'm new to all of this. And I was just wondering. How do I fibre glass a closed box were I can't get to the inside of ?

And should I use a paint brush to apply the resin ?

A question about Gorilla Resin.

Right, so, I've already gone and pepped my first helmet, but now I need to harden it some way. Seeing as how I have no access to Bondo or anything of the sort (too expensive for me, sadly,) I was wandering around Google and came across Gorilla Resin. It comes in a syringe type thing so you can equally mix the parts, and one syringe supposedly covers around 100 sq. inches. It's relatively cheap (around 5 bucks per syringe depending on where you go) and so I was wondering, would this be a good alternative to fiberglass resin? Has anyone here used it? I'd really love to know, seeing as how I'm fairly tight on money at the moment. Thanks guys!

P.S. I noticed that this thread had 117 pages at the time of me posting this..

I would not recommend Gorilla resin, or any other type of syringe epoxy tubes. Primarily because this would not be the most cost efficient way of getting resin. Even though the tube may say 100 square inches, it most likely will not cover that much for the application of costuming. Basically, you're worried about costs, but you're considering using a much costlier alternative for resining. For the cost of 2 of those syringes, you can get a quart of resin that will be enough for most of a suit (outer resining + inner fiberglassing). Also, a tub of Bondo is similarly priced, so it's not as expensive as you think.

one syringe supposedly covers around 100 sq. inches.

100 square inches sound like a lot, but just to give you some idea of how much that is: 100 square inches equal 0.06 m² - or almost exactly the size of a sheet of A4 paper. Your body, on the other hand, has a surface of close to 2 m².

Heya! I asked how to proceed with my pep gun and you said to fill it with rondo (resin and bondo). What ratio of resin to bondo should it be? Many thanks! <3

Heya! I asked how to proceed with my pep gun and you said to fill it with rondo (resin and bondo). What ratio of resin to bondo should it be? Many thanks! <3

I believe its a 3:1 ratio. (Bondo to Resin)
Not ENTIRELY sure though.

I think three parts bondo to one part resin would be too viscous. The idea of the rondo slush-cast method is to be able to slosh the mixture around the inside of the model. Since, with weapons, the model is closed up (aside from a small hole(s) created to pour in the rondo) you are without the benefit of being able to use a tool (usually a paintbrush) to manually help move the rondo around. Because of this the mixture needs to be fairly fluid.

I think one part bondo to one part resin works well for this purpose but you can always experiment for a bit to see what you like. When making rondo I like to mix up the bondo and resin prior to adding hardener to make certain the consistency is good. If too viscous...add more resin, if too runny...add more bondo.

Hi I'm making a Jorge torso. I can't remember who made it. On the torso the is a neck guard I was wondering should I fibreglass the inside or should fill it with rondo?

I think three parts bondo to one part resin would be too viscous. The idea of the rondo slush-cast method is to be able to slosh the mixture around the inside of the model. Since, with weapons, the model is closed up (aside from a small hole(s) created to pour in the rondo) you are without the benefit of being able to use a tool (usually a paintbrush) to manually help move the rondo around. Because of this the mixture needs to be fairly fluid.

I think one part bondo to one part resin works well for this purpose but you can always experiment for a bit to see what you like. When making rondo I like to mix up the bondo and resin prior to adding hardener to make certain the consistency is good. If too viscous...add more resin, if too runny...add more bondo.

Thanx for the advice. :D

When I did my Magnum with all of it's tiny crevices and pockets to fill, I had to mix it up to about 1:2 Bondo:Resin to get it thin enough I could pour it in and run it around completely. Granted, my bondo + resin was from Hawaiian Fiberglass Inc, and it was quite warm that day, but the magic texture ended up being similar to that of pancake syrup. If you mix it up really thin (mostly resin) you can be certain it'll fill everything on the inside, and you'll just need to make multiple coats to get it up to the toughness/strength you desire.

Quick tip though, when you're pouring it in through whatever hole/opening you choose, don't tape the hole back up! The heat from it curing causes the air to expand and push outwards warping your weapon. I did it and taped it back up, and then it collapsed the mag-well on the pistol, so I had to create a thinner magazine to slide into it.

Hope this helps!

When I did my Magnum with all of it's tiny crevices and pockets to fill, I had to mix it up to about 1:2 Bondo:Resin to get it thin enough I could pour it in and run it around completely. Granted, my bondo + resin was from Hawaiian Fiberglass Inc, and it was quite warm that day, but the magic texture ended up being similar to that of pancake syrup. If you mix it up really thin (mostly resin) you can be certain it'll fill everything on the inside, and you'll just need to make multiple coats to get it up to the toughness/strength you desire.

Quick tip though, when you're pouring it in through whatever hole/opening you choose, don't tape the hole back up! The heat from it curing causes the air to expand and push outwards warping your weapon. I did it and taped it back up, and then it collapsed the mag-well on the pistol, so I had to create a thinner magazine to slide into it.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all for the help! I'm about to do it now so let's see how this goes! Not spending another 30 hours building another! >.<!

Just for clarity it is not a good idea to "fill it with rondo". Thin coats on the inside is the way to go! Im not sure of the best place for the hole, just put it somewhere that you can get to easily to sand/fill it to match the weapon after its hardened.

I am making a helmet and just resined it and fiberglassed and am about to bondo it how the hell do i get rid of the smell of the resin inside the helmet
im worried that the resin's toxic fumes are still inside the helmet( i plan to wear it for paintball) please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back