"Help!" for: Molding

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know a good tut on molding on the 405th site

I just did a quick search for "mold tutorial" and on page one of the results, there's a tutorial (even stickied in the Molded Armor board!) and a question asked by AceNat that should contain lots of helpful pointers (for example, Ben Streeper seems to have done videos about molding).

I believe that you will find whatever you need by looking for it. Have you done that yet?

Question:

To those who have molded... How many oz of rebound do you suggest for a helmet, say the size of the standard ODST? (approx of course)

How do you split molds like in this pic?
sniper047.jpg

could please someone make a tutorial on how to make a mold like this. i want to mold my AR when it is done

could please someone make a tutorial on how to make a mold like this. i want to mold my AR when it is done

Let me start by saying I am not an expert at molding as I have never actually molded anything, what I am about to say is based solely on what I have been able to pick up from other people on the site (benstreeper's thread "how to resin a helmet from pep to finish" (I think thats the name) in particular) and the smooth-on site (where the below video is actually from)

I know someone had previously said you could do a brush on mold and the cut it in half. That's totally fine and would work great, however, from what I've seen when this is done the cut lines are usually wavy in order to help line the pieces back up again when you want to make a cast. The above picture looks to me (again I'm not an expert) like it was a two part mold.

http://www.smooth-on.com/video_play.php?video_id=dcRv__zNxYE&autoplay=1
This video shows you exactly how to do a two part mold. To me it seems like it would be much easier and cleaner, but that's just me

@dan23 - as far as I know using plaste wrap is NOT a good idea. The wrap cannot get into all the nooks and crannies on your master and you will lose all of your detail, definately not what you want if you are trying to mold something

@Imaus LO1 - This kind of depends on what you plan on doing with your armor. If you were always thinking of making a mold and casting your pieces (so as to make multiple sets of armor) then its probably a good idea as it will save you time. However, if you are only planning on making one suit (which is what I'm guessing) THIS IS A BAD IDEA. It may save you some time (depending on how good you are with pep and bondo) but it will be MUCH more expensive. Molding supplies are not cheap. I would just pep and bondo the second shoulder and boot, it gives you more practice and will be much cheaper.

(Sorry if somebody already asked this question, I just skipped to the end lol) So, how would I acquire good molds? Do I have to make them? Or do I have to buy them? Or can I somehow get some for free? (I know that last one is a long-shot lol)

Hey guys I'm trying to make a mold and I don't know what to use or where to get it. But I do need something that will be flexible. My helmet has a crap load detail. Pls help a brother out lol

im not new to this so plz don't come at me like that. i wouldn't have asked if i didn't search already i just needed to know the name of the stuff that everyone is using.

im not new to this so plz don't come at me like that. i wouldn't have asked if i didn't search already i just needed to know the name of the stuff that everyone is using.

No idea about all this molding stuff, but I've heard the name "Dragonskin" come up (it came up here, to be more precise:
).

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I have a question: I have read through the Noob casting and molding,but I'm curious aboat what if I misunderstood. If I'm Planning to make a ODST helmet after the new year,and I plan on using ABS or Foamed PVC (sintra),and I also plan on using reference pictures and listening to what other people are doing......Is that Casting or Molding? Thanks for listening.:)

Um, I have a question: I have read through the Noob casting and molding,but I'm curious aboat what if I misunderstood. If I'm Planning to make a ODST helmet after the new year,and I plan on using ABS or Foamed PVC (sintra),and I also plan on using reference pictures and listening to what other people are doing......Is that Casting or Molding? Thanks for listening.:)

A mould is a negative image of a model that you can fill with resin to cast a cast of that model. Got it? :)

hello, I am in the UK and over here we cant get smooth-on easily and I find its very expensive, so i want to know if there are any good alternative to it?
Thanks in Advance :)

is it possible to mold a cast??? (with smoothon products) the cast being made with smoothcast 320 or 321

You can mold pretty much anything. So yes you can mold a cast, although I don't know why you would. If you already have a cast then you should have a mold.

for silicone thats not from smooth on just search platinum cured silicones.... I'd imagine you'd be able to get them there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back