"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately for a high quality "mirror" type paint job, you'll have to either get the expensive stuff, or hire a pro to do it (and they'll be using the expensive stuff). If you just want it shiny and don't care too much about whether you can see yourself in it, you might be able to get away with a very, very careful application of high-shine spray can metallic. I'd suggest doing a test piece (or more as needed) to perfect your technique, as well as to test if gentle wet sanding (have to be very careful not to scratch or gouge the paint) with a high grit (ultra fine) sanding sponge, or perhaps a buffer and compound, will give the desired result. It's also best to lay down as bright of a primer/base layer as possible before you spray on the metalic. If you use a black or even a dark grey primer, you'll end up with a duller finish than if you used a lighter gray or white primer (or light grey primer and a base coat of white paint). You'll also want to avoid a top coat, as even a clear/gloss top coat can dull the metallic look. And when you're painting, remember that 3-4 light coats will end up looking a lot better and achieve the same coverage as 1-2 heavy coats. I've seen a lot of builds and projects here and elsewhere that quickly went from looking pro to looking like a middle school art project because they rushed the paint and ended up with drips, runs, overspray, feathering, and other blemishes that could easily have been avoided if they took their time. Investing in a roll of painter's tape and semi-heavy masking paper is also a great and overlooked idea, as regular masking tape can bleed through, and so can newpaper, although in a pinch a double or triple layer of newpaper can work well enough if you're not heavy-handed with the paint and be sure to let it dry between coats. Most spray cans will have directions on them that indicate how long to wait between coats, and how long to wait before it's dry enough to switch to another color or start handling the piece for normal use, although that time changes slightly depending on the temperature and humidity. Warmer and drier is best, obviously, and colder or damper means it's better to wait a bit longer than the recommended time.

Another tip if you will be using the tape to define the edges of the area you're painting, after the paint has dried fully peel up the corner edge of the tape opposite of where you were painting (to avoid marring the paint while digging up the edge of the tape) and pull the tape slowly and evenly back upon itself at a sharp angle. Don't pull it straight up, you'll want the tape to make at most a 45 degree angle. This will help cut a more crisp line through the paint that will have sprayed onto the tape while you worked. If you pull it straight up or just try to pull the tape off any which way, there's a chance of either leaving an uneven break on the tape side, letting the paint go beyond the intended line while not being properly adhered to the piece, making it easy for the paint to peel, or it will break into the painted area itself and start peeling away your paint. Another way to avoid this if you have a very gentle and steady hand is to uses an exacto or razor knife and very lightly trace along the painted edge of the tape. The risk here is that if your hand is not steady or you press too hard you could scratch up the paint or cut right into the piece you're working on, and that can be a real pain to fix.

Thanks a lot! I wasn't really going for a mirror finish, just something that was a bit shiny and definitely not as dull as say, a cheap master chief toy helmet. Any idea where I could get the high shine spray paint?

Stormy, as I pointed out in the post above a clear coat on top of metallic is NOT a good idea. Metallics are intentionally designed to not need any kind of top coat. Anything on top of metallic will just dull the finish.

As for where to get the paints, I've found them at both department stores (like walmart and Kmart) and at auto parts stores (like Autozone or Advanced Auto). If they don't have it, they can usually point you towards someone who does.

I've run into a bit of a weird issue. After putting on a coat of primer I started seeing cracks in the paint begin to form. the cracks were easy to get rid of just a little sanding and they were gone. I would just like to know what happened so I can avoid the same problem again in the future. I don't know if this matters but I used a different brand of primer then the first few layers. Anyways, If you guys have any ideas please help! Thanks!

The brand itself shouldn't matter, but if it's a different type/compositsion, that will matter. You'll want to check and make sure that any paint and/or primer you use is the same type (for example, acrylic paint and primer). If you ahve different types, that can lead to cracking, peeling, or one coat dissolving or otherwise reacting badly with the others.

Another possible cause of cracking is if the piece you are coating flexes, and the primer you're using isn't flexible. Not all paints/primers are able to flex, bend, and/or stretch with the material they're applied to.

My question is this: my first build (just doing the helmet for now) is going to be my Spartan from Reach,
playermodel_zps5fe120ac.png

and my main color is the gray (it says silver in The Armory) with the darker gray (Steel in The Armory). Should I just use a darker gray for a base coat, then spray my main color on, I would like do a weathering effect, but as my main color is what most people use as a base coat I don't know what to use as a base coat.

It's typically best to work from light to dark when painting, as trying to paint a lighter color over a darker color can be problematic, often requiring several more coats before it actually comes out in its normal color. For the best results I would suggest a white primer, then the lighter grey main color, followed by the darker grey accent color. If you can find a primer that's the same shade as the lighter grey main color, you could probably get away with coating the piece with that and then sealing it with a couple coats of clear topcoat and skip the layer of paint, although it would still be best to add the topcoat after adding the darker grey accents with this process, otherwise you'd need to apply a second topcoat to seal the darker color in.

Okay, so I've run into a painting snag. I'm working on a foam project and I plasti-dipped my piece to seal it and that worked well. Then I painted it with a Rustoleum metallic spray paint, but afterward realized I wanted to redo some of the details with metallic acrylics. I tried to paint the acrylics over the spray paint, but the paint instantly beads up. It didn't do this on the small piece I tested prior.

An issue I've noticed is that a few spots on my paint job and still somewhat tacky after more than a week. Not so tacky that my finger sticks to them right away, but if I hold that spot tightly for awhile with dry, non-sweaty fingers I'll find my fingertip has stuck to the paint and even left a fingerprint impression. Maybe this is related?

What are my options here? Things I'm considering (but have no idea if they are good ideas or not): 1. sanding down the spray layer to the plastidip and trying to paint over that (or reapply the plastidip and starting over in those spots), 2. sealing over the spray paint layer with mod podge and trying to paint atop that, and 3. some sort of primer layer over the spray paint and then painting on top of that. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

I have had success with applying mod podge on top and the re plastidipping for a smoother finish but mine was completely dry. If your paint is still tacky, I don't know what will happen.

Unfortunately sanding it down is probably the best option. If it's still tacky after a week of cure time, there's definitely a misstep somewhere along the way. Best thing to do is sand it down, touch up the plastidip layer if you sanded down too far, then start over with primer and paint. It would probably be a good idea to mask off the areas you want to paint with the acrylic so that those areas will not get touched by the metalic at all, then reverse-mask to protect the rest of the project from the acrylic paint after it dries. Metalic paints tend to not get along too well with other paints, as they're essentially designed to be a solo/top-coat. Sometimes even clear coat won't work too well on them.

Does anybody know how to achieve a realistic metal texture in their paint, a la CerealKill3r's MC build? I love the look he has, but I don't know how to accomplish that effect.

Does anybody know how to achieve a realistic metal texture in their paint, a la CerealKill3r's MC build? I love the look he has, but I don't know how to accomplish that effect.

You could always try a hammered effect paint underneath?? They effect looks pretty good, and after a couple of layers you should be able to put a few thin layers of the colour you want over it...

Now for my question... To any Australians, which paint do you use for MC?? I tried MTN's euskadi green, which i thought would be alright, but came up a bit green, and I'm fairly certain at this point that the American Accents Oregano can't be sourced here. Any suggestions?

Now for my question... To any Australians, which paint do you use for MC?? I tried MTN's euskadi green, which i thought would be alright, but came up a bit green, and I'm fairly certain at this point that the American Accents Oregano can't be sourced here. Any suggestions?

You could always try citadel paints from games workshop they have just brought out a line of colored sprays that you can only get the majority of their colors in small amounts as they are normally used for models but the sprays are good and are really quite easy to use.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470003a&prodId=prod2200004a is their green spray.

Army painter also do 2 green sprays although im not sure if they can be sourced in the auz if you want something a bit lighter their aptly named "Army Green" may do the trick for you http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=2

G'day lads and lass's.

Question about protecting shiny metallic paint. - I've sprayed an ACRYLIC, bright-metallic gold for my Iron-Man suit and have noticed that it dulls over time and scratches VERY easily. I want to try to retain the shine and protect it as long as possible.

What would be best over the gold? An acrylic clear coat? I know it's compatible with the paint underneath, but is it TOUGH ENOUGH?

What about RESIN? Could I paint a clear coat of that over the top?

Any other suggestions from experience out there?

SnPGjcV.jpg

@Sandbagger

I notice that you're using Duplicolor brand paint, which is an automotive paint. One option I would suggest considering is using an automotive topcoat (essentially a gloss coat for automotive paint), then actually waxing the piece (much like you would a car). This would offer the paintjob a bit of protection and keep it shiny. You might want to test the method out on a scrap piece first, as I have never waxed an armor piece before.

@Sandbagger

I notice that you're using Duplicolor brand paint, which is an automotive paint. One option I would suggest considering is using an automotive topcoat (essentially a gloss coat for automotive paint), then actually waxing the piece (much like you would a car). This would offer the paintjob a bit of protection and keep it shiny. You might want to test the method out on a scrap piece first, as I have never waxed an armor piece before.

Thanks mate. Yes, I am considering using an automotive topcoat, but still wondering how hard that topcoat would be.

I used Duplicolor paint and topcoat on my Carter helmet. I never got a chance to wear the helmet around because I was never happy with it, but I was very happy with the paint-job. Will it offer the level of protection you're looking for? There's only one way to find out...

I was going to suggest the same thing - automotive clear coat. How strong is it? The same strength it would be on a car, which endures a lot more than your armor is likely to. I painted the dragon heads on my Gene Simmons boots (and the torso and arms armor) using automotive lacquers with a sprayer and after 20 years they still hold the same color, still as shiny when polished up, and have no chips, scratches, etc on them. They are metallic silver with clear top coat. The dragon "teeth" on the platform soles are also painted, and (being closest to the ground so receiving the most wear-and-tear) they also have no marks on them. Bottom line: automotive paints are WAY more durable than counter aerosol spray paints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back