"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of paint shall I use on my iron man to replicate metal surface?

Several people had recommendations when I asked this earlier in this thread. I think you just need to look around at what's out there and wait until something "hits you".

A couple folks recommended spray paint for autos.

Well, I stumbled on some stuff that was kind of in that area:

I'm doing War Machine. So, I was hunting for something really dark gray, but not quite black. WalMart and my local Ace Hardware just had the standard battleship-gray and black. Now, I was tempted to get this black spray paint for plastic that had some sparkly flecks in it. I did buy a can of that and tried it on a broken piece from one of my parts.

But then I went to Harbor Freight to get some more sandpaper....and on one of their aisle "ends", they had this auto spray paint that's supposed to be specifically for painting your car's wheels. And they had a dark gray that was PERFECT! So, that's what I've bought and used. And it looks pretty good! (Sorry, I don't have any photos yet. I was supposed to have my costume ready by this past Saturday at 4 PM. And when I finally got my costume to a finished point at 6 PM, I discovered my thighs, shins, and codpiece were effectively "too long" when worn together. They started rubbing each other and damaging each other when I walked. So, I had to "abort" going to my event that day. But I'm working out the problems in time for several other events later this week!)

That paint I chose dries to touch in 15 minutes and totally dries within 30 minutes. I don't know about you, but fast drying is an important feature for me. I don't want to wait a day for the paint to dry.

I will also mention that when I did Robocop a few years ago, I bought a couple of $5 or less cans of "metal" spray paint in a silver color... ones made by Krylon, a few other brands, and even a generic one, I think. It was only three cans so I wasn't out much money. I took them home and sprayed them each onto a sample of the plastic (Walmart For-Sale signs) that I used to make my armor. And one of them looked absolutely PERFECT !! The plastic was the biggest contributor to making it all look like METAL, not so much the paint. The paint certainly HELPED, though.

So, get out there and check a few stores. If you have the money, but a few cans and try them on some scraps. If you don't have the extra cash for that, you'll have to rely on the lid colors on the cans, but I've found that those are usually very accurate.

Good luck!

You want Rigid Collodion Scarring Liquid to do that with just brush it on parts of your face you want the look to be on and do multiple layers to give it the right effect. And WOW Liq I think I'm going to stock up on those for that price. Great find.

Something I do know about at last! If your going to do this near your eye, keep it closed till it dries because the vapour will make your eye run. A little deep red eye liner pencil smudged over after its dry will give a very realistic look.

Clean up with soap & water or just peel off :)

my question I have been read this forum like 3 times so far i m not sure if its there or not
I wonder HOW can you make it More of metal Lookin shine? I tried one and it look more like yea ok its fake metal looking. I want to make sure it s more or Realist metal look shine? can someone point me to good and reasonable price not too high and thanks :)

@ tazzy. it might be the paint you use. I would try automotive paint. I used a glossy black paint at home depot and it made my armor look cheap. People though it was made out of duct tape. :(

@ tazzy. it might be the paint you use. I would try automotive paint. I used a glossy black paint at home depot and it made my armor look cheap. People though it was made out of duct tape. :(

Ouch that gonna bad :( dont wanna people walk up to me and say Hey! you made that armors WITH an Duct Tape!? lol :/

Hey I'm doing a set of EOD any ideas on how to make it look like a bomb exploded right infront of me schorch marks shrapnel chips and what else any ideas?

How do you recreate dirt deposites and shading in the corners like on the top of the mark VI helm?

You mean to like make it look old and worn? for that you do something like a black wash.

Definition: where you spray black spray paint over a small area and then quickly wipe it off with a sock, paper towel etc. (just wipe the surface don't scrub into the corners and stuff) this will make it look old, and the black will be left in the corners and edges where you didn't wipe it off. I believe there's a video that was made a LONG time ago about it lurking around here somehwere.

I can't see your post but I think I understand what your saying.
For those small hard to reach details you use painters tape: http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/images/img_4_blue_tapes.jpg
and use straight edges, otherwise you won't have crisp paint lines and tape around the shape you want your detail colors to be. After which I would tape some newspaper around the area to prevent overspray (so you don't have to cover the whole helm with tape) and paint your details in. If you have several small patches on the same side of the helmet that you're going to paint the same color you can probably do them at the same time.

Hope that helps,

Omega

I tried to pick out the detail on my helmet by spraying an area with black and then wiping off straight away. Lifted the base coat off, argh!
Was using automotive paint and the same brand as the base coat. The base had 48 hours to dry (in the warm). I have just blown the base back in and am thinking of trying a waterbased acrylic black.
Anyone already tried this over automotive paint?

Well I have tried it. Works ok just hope the varnish coat wont react to it?

any auto paint used in low temp will 'bloom' and end up with a matt/satin finish. Dont know if thats any help for you? Try a test peice (anything not porus) and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back