"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some one here burt a plasma burn in foam armour with a soldering iron. Think you could do similar with a dremel on conventional bondo/fiberglass armour by splasing on some poster paint, letting it dry and dremel where is dried.

There might be`another way to do it I dont know about though.

so i dont really know how this affects the paint but for my damage effects i was just messin around with my lighter holding the flame up to a fresh coat of paint(within 2 hours of painting) i noticed that the chrome paint started to bubble up from the black coat i had just put on i wiped the bubbles away with my finger and low and behold a realistic scratch mark appears!! anyone else ever done this??

so i dont really know how this affects the paint but for my damage effects i was just messin around with my lighter holding the flame up to a fresh coat of paint(within 2 hours of painting) i noticed that the chrome paint started to bubble up from the black coat i had just put on i wiped the bubbles away with my finger and low and behold a realistic scratch mark appears!! anyone else ever done this??

Only when stripping paint from woodwork with a heat gun. Interesting idea though.

i have a question for u guys, im kinda new at spraypainting and im curious as to what type of paint u prefer whether it be flat, satin, gloss, matte, or brilliant?? i recently painted my smg and i used a black gloss paint. long story short it looks fake like a plastic toy or somethin, not exactly the realistic look im goin for so my question is which type will give me that realistic look?

Modern guns are normally powder coated so I reckon the closest you will get in paint is a black satin. You could use gloss and let it bloom if your somewhere cold.

Hey, I'm doing my first build which is an NCR veteran ranger mask. I've resined the interior/exterior and am going to rondo the interior but don't want to rondo the exterior because I'm afraid I'll lose some of the small details if I do. So I'm just going to leave the exterior resined cardstock and was wondering what kind of primer I should use on the exterior to get it ready for painting. Thanks

Hey, I'm doing my first build which is an NCR veteran ranger mask. I've resined the interior/exterior and am going to rondo the interior but don't want to rondo the exterior because I'm afraid I'll lose some of the small details if I do. So I'm just going to leave the exterior resined cardstock and was wondering what kind of primer I should use on the exterior to get it ready for painting. Thanks

Automotive primer works great on resin.

Hey guys, long time no see, winter basically stopped the resining stage of my helmet.
ANYWAYS! Is it a practical idea to try to find orange tint at a craft, hardware, or automotive store, and use it on a clear motorcycle visor? Better yet has anyone tried it?
(Unrelated, but how have motorcycle visors worked for people? It looks like they wouldn't bubble out enough but I could be wrong)

Hey guys, long time no see, winter basically stopped the resining stage of my helmet.
ANYWAYS! Is it a practical idea to try to find orange tint at a craft, hardware, or automotive store, and use it on a clear motorcycle visor? Better yet has anyone tried it?
(Unrelated, but how have motorcycle visors worked for people? It looks like they wouldn't bubble out enough but I could be wrong)

As long as you do a VERY thin coat, it works okay. Personally, I prefer the motorcycle visor. It may not bubble as much, but it's a lot easer to build and install.

i'm in the middle of the bondo stage of my build and i have heard that spraying some primer on it could help you see any imperfections in the bondo. is this true, if so what kind of primer should i use

i'm in the middle of the bondo stage of my build and i have heard that spraying some primer on it could help you see any imperfections in the bondo. is this true, if so what kind of primer should i use

Yes, this is true. Typically the darker the primer the better. At least that works for me.

My primer coat is starting to chip away. What's happening? Do you guys think I should use PlasticDip instead?

Hi, I'm currently planning to build my first build for a London convention.
I have a few questions regarding paint.
Firstly, I'm not exactly sure what primer is?
And secondly I've seen some people put emblems and 'printed' texts on their armor pieces (such as ODST and UNSC), I'm guessing they use stencils to spray on the text?

Hi, I'm currently planning to build my first build for a London convention.
I have a few questions regarding paint.
Firstly, I'm not exactly sure what primer is?
And secondly I've seen some people put emblems and 'printed' texts on their armor pieces (such as ODST and UNSC), I'm guessing they use stencils to spray on the text?

Primer does exactly what the name sounds. It "primes" the surface so it takes the paint better.

Emblems and the like are usually stenciled on.

Hey, guys! I've been AWOL for awhile since my HEV Suit MKV was finished, but the summer is coming around again soon and I am looking to do my second project a hellauva lot better than last year's. I made a lot of mistakes last time I didn't have the time to fix- applying too much bondo, failing to sand down parts correctly, and not adding detailing when I had the opportunity to. However, my biggest mistake was probably painting. So I need some help.

1. How do you avoid cracking and wrinkling when spraypainting? Almost every time I painted something last year, it would crack and wrinkle on the second coat. It looked terrible. I still don't know what I did wrong. Could it be because of something I did or the paints themselves reacting poorly to each other?

2. How do you section of different parts when spraypainting details or different colors? I used plastic wrap and foil last year, and again, it looked terrible. Also, when I spraypainted a different color (a stripe, for instance), the colors meshed in an unfortunate manner. Do you recommend painting the majority color separately with the areas that will be stripes seperated and then doing the stripe by itself? I'd appreciate some advice.

3. Kind of falls under the previous one, but I find spraypainting a really clumsy way to paint small sections that need to be different colors. Do you recommend any paticular method for detailing, or a different kind of paint (ie, brushed on?)

Any general advice is also welcome. Thanks, guys!

The cracking/wrinkling could be due to a number of reasons, from incompatible paints and primers, bad temperature or humidity, or even not shaking the spray paint enough before applying (tip: for best results, skake the cans for several minutes).

About paint masking, that's easily Googled or just found on the internet. Generally, just masking tape and paper is used to mask off areas (hence the name). Again, for best results, there are some blue painters tapes that work even better. Also, do not use newspaper to mask. The ink will smear on the paint, especially if it's not 100% dried. Use brown paper rolls or even cut up brown paper bags.

To paint a stripe or detail piece, first you should know to always paint darker colors on top of lighter colors, never the other away around. Generally, just paint the entire pieces the base coat. If the detail color you want to use is lighter than the base coat, mask it off and spray with a white or gray primer, and then spray the detail color on that.

For small details, I generally make stencils, and sometimes you can simply hold them on by hand as you spray. Or, you could even purchase self-adhesive printer paper and print out your own personal or customized stickers for really small graphics or text. Don't forget that whatever you do, always spray a coat or two of clearcoat to seal everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back