"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to be extra clear on this. Believe it or not, the world is full of idiots who believe that such a costume makes them invincible and I don't even want to insinuate that this might be true.

And while we're at it: No, the armour doesn't have working shields. Not even the Mjolnir line.

It has been a while, but now I would like to show off the armor to the community that helped me with the wealth of information that made it possible. It was my first suit so I didn't do great, however my question is what should I do? Post it in a form? Start my own? I don't have too much to say about it but I would like to hear the input of the community. I also need to know how to add images in my post and how and where to post a form if it is necessary.
I'm going to bed so I'll be checking this tomorrow. Thanks for all information.

It has been a while, but now I would like to show off the armor to the community that helped me with the wealth of information that made it possible. It was my first suit so I didn't do great, however my question is what should I do? Post it in a form? Start my own? I don't have too much to say about it but I would like to hear the input of the community. I also need to know how to add images in my post and how and where to post a form if it is necessary.
I'm going to bed so I'll be checking this tomorrow. Thanks for all information.

Create a new thread. The decision where to do that shouldn't be too hard, because you're still a noob and cannot post anywhere but in the noob forum ;-)
It's best to upload the pictures to Photobucket and link them in your post using img-tags.

I'm having some trouble getting my dremel angled right to cut out the visor on my ODST helm. What tools work best in getting this thing cut out clean?

I'm having some trouble getting my dremel angled right to cut out the visor on my ODST helm. What tools work best in getting this thing cut out clean?

Dremel and patience. Get the rough cut done with the dremel, then you can go back and sand down the high points.

Dremel and patience. Get the rough cut done with the dremel, then you can go back and sand down the high points.

Well that's the thing, the dremel will not fit at all! I have only been able to cut out the very front part of the visor. The far sides I can't get to because of the shape of the helm + the bulk of the dremel/the small cut radius of the head.

Well that's the thing, the dremel will not fit at all! I have only been able to cut out the very front part of the visor. The far sides I can't get to because of the shape of the helm + the bulk of the dremel/the small cut radius of the head.

What kind of accessory are you using? Maybe switching to a cutter might help, if you're not using one already.

What kind of accessory are you using? Maybe switching to a cutter might help, if you're not using one already.

Well, I have a small metal 'saw' I use for cutting visors and thin materials. It has a diameter of about a half an inch. Then I have a bunch of those flimsy stone 'disks' that break super easily.

I could go and by a metal saw with a larger radius, but I am worried the dremel still will be too bulky and awkward to let me get in there for the right angle to cut at. I'm constantly nicking areas on the helm I don't want to cut, obviously.

I was just wondering if there were any small 'hacksaw-like' hand held cutters that could be used for this sort of thing?

Well, I have a small metal 'saw' I use for cutting visors and thin materials. It has a diameter of about a half an inch. Then I have a bunch of those flimsy stone 'disks' that break super easily.

I could go and by a metal saw with a larger radius, but I am worried the dremel still will be too bulky and awkward to let me get in there for the right angle to cut at. I'm constantly nicking areas on the helm I don't want to cut, obviously.

I was just wondering if there were any small 'hacksaw-like' hand held cutters that could be used for this sort of thing?

I thought you wanted to cut the visor part out of your helmets? Isn't a hacksaw (like this, right?) a little big for that? :)

Those disk-shaped cutting accessories for the dremel will only cut along their edge (with the exception of shaping wheels, which have kind of a sanding function included), so you have to hold the Dremel parallel to the surface you're cutting into. Those cutters I meant look more like drills and mostly cut along their side, so you can hold the tool roughly perpendicular to the surface. This one here should work for plastic. Here it is again, this time in action.

Okay, I am completely new to everything.

If I just wanted to make a wearable EOD helmet, where should I start?
I know absolutely nothing about anything at this point.

Okay, I am completely new to everything.

If I just wanted to make a wearable EOD helmet, where should I start?
I know absolutely nothing about anything at this point.
Like all other noobs, make sure that you read the stickies. And also, don't spam the boards with identical questions. That's not cool.

I thought you wanted to cut the visor part out of your helmets? Isn't a hacksaw (like this, right?) a little big for that? :)

Those disk-shaped cutting accessories for the dremel will only cut along their edge (with the exception of shaping wheels, which have kind of a sanding function included), so you have to hold the Dremel parallel to the surface you're cutting into. Those cutters I meant look more like drills and mostly cut along their side, so you can hold the tool roughly perpendicular to the surface. This one here should work for plastic. Here it is again, this time in action.

Thanks a lot Ventrue,

Though I initially thought a hacksaw would work, and for most of the visor it would, it just would not be able to make the sharp turn at the far sides of the visor where the biggest problem is. I do have one of those drill bits though! I didn't even think of using it like that and it just may work.

Thanks again for your help!

I do have one of those drill bits though

And I was already imagining you with a big hacksaw cutting up the whole helmet :)

But just to make sure there's no misunderstanding: That is not a drill! There are drills for Dremel tools as well and they look kind of similar, so be sure you don't mix them up.

lol yes!...

and yes, I already checked. That's not what it is called I know, but well that's just what it looks like.

lol yes!...

and yes, I already checked. That's not what it is called I know, but well that's just what it looks like.

Just wanted to make sure, because rumor has it that cutters can break if you try to drill with them and vice versa.
Although a piece of drill shrapnel might be a nice detail on any helmet... :)

Ok, so Ive searched the forum and really foung nothing, so here's my question: can you use a regular motorcycle helmet feceshield in an ODST helmet, or do you have to make/buy one? If I do have to buy one, who is best to get one from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back