What else do you do while you work? (Recommendations?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadoKat

As has been stated many many times by many many people, building armor takes a long time. Parts of the process are tedious, and don't require full intellectual engagement (I'm looking at YOU, pepping!!), so I'm just wondering, what do other people do to pass the time? I know some people listen to music, but that only seems to get me so far.

As for myself, I have on a movie or TV show in which I'm not terribly interested. The danger in that is that I sometimes end up becoming a fan (or pseudo-fan, anyway). I've found that Netflix on my XBox has been an absolute godsend! While I was pepping my last few pieces, I watched a lot of second-rate movies (some good, but most bad... Dragon Wars? Really? I had such hopes for you!! "It's okay, I'm with the press." Really?), as well as the entire series Legend of the Seeker (not bad, but definitely not worth full attention, either). While sculpting, I watched the first four seasons of the new Doctor Who, which ended up bleeding into Torchwood (both awesome, I'm going to have to re-watch when I can pay attention). I ran out of those and have just started watching Farscape (mostly meh, but it has its moments), but now I'm to a point where what I'm doing for armor can't be done in front of the television.

So, what do you do while you're building, and during what parts of the build process do you do it? Any good shows or drinks you can recommend, or that are just good enough that you can divert the majority of your brain to other endeavors?

i personally listen to music but mostly i listen to gaming podcasts while i work. they're really interesting and far more engaging then just music. i don't watch tv because i have to look at it alot so i can't focus on the piece that i'm working on.

oh and i'm not sure if talking about alcoholic drinks is really looked happily upon due to the fact that this is a family friendly site. just a heads up.

yes, netflix is the most amazing thing for pepping. I find the best thing to keep me occupied is simply having someone else with me that has a somewhat interest in the build. Being how that is few and far between, netflix and music holds me over

definatly long podcasts (favoribly gaming lol)
and when in my garage, resining, sanding etc, loud music :p
I have so much more fun that way lol

I listened/half-watched every episode of the X-Files on Netflix via xbox.

Then quickly began to realize how lame the 90's were...

When I pep inside the house, I have my stereo to keep me company, but when I'm outside, I either have my Ipod or a stereo on.

and when in my garage, resining, sanding etc, loud music :p
I have so much more fun that way lol

Hell yeah, brother! I did that yesterday when I was working on my ODST pistol. Speed Metal sounds SOOO much better when played outside.

-Pony

angel.jpg

It's like Buffy...For men.

I find that x-files goes a llooonnnggggg way. I have all the sessions on my netflix que and drink wise i recommend sugar free redbull. I would say drinks of an adult variety but seeing as how Im on the mods list of not so great people. I will not, but redbull and x-files that is usually what I mask and paint to. Well thats what I pretty much do everything to.

For me I watch... I mean Listen to TV shows.

I have already watched all of Starwars Clone Wars, Full Metal Alchemist (Both versions), Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden, Babylon 5, the 3rd, 4th & 5th Doctors from Dr Who. Im sure that there's more that I missed. LOL

Currently listening to the 6th Doctor.

I watch DVD sets of TV shows. Especially long ones. And especially sci-fi. At this point, I probably have enough Stargate alone to build an entire suit to.

has it really gotten this strict to where members are afraid to admit to drinking an alcoholic beverage on the forum? I completely understand and support the staff with regards to cursing. Isn't this alil too strict? Even asking this question, I'm slightly hesitant. It's almost like walking on eggshells, I don't wanna step on toes. However, I am curious.

IMO it should be allowed, but not...promoted? Like don't talk about drinks all the time, and certainly don't talk about how some wild party went.

I think alcohol (unfortunately, at least in my opinion it's unfortunate) is a part of our society. Kids are going to be exposed to it at some point, (because I'd like to think they're not already doing it, but I know from teaching that this is not the case). But it should not be promoted. If it's mentioned once, like when you say, "Yeah I drink beer when I pep" or something similar, I think that's fine. But if we start listing off drink recipes that's where there might be a problem.

But as far as the kids go, cursing is something I can understand the need to ban--it doesn't contribute constructively to our community, so it shouldn't be allowed. We shouldn't promote unhealthy choices for kids, either, but mentioning something briefly I don't think should be a problem, so long as it doesn't become one.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

In regards to the original question, I usually listen to music or Rants from 2 the Ranting Gryphon, or I listen to this guy:
That, or I watch movies I've seen before but like, so I don't get too distracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was beautiful, thanks for sharing!!

Yeah, I picked a random one of his that I faved. Listen to some of his stuff, he's got interesting and inspiring things to say sometimes. I like it. :) Especially the one about the "little hater" or others that have to do with creating things. It motivates me sometimes when I'm in a creative funk.

I actually have a routine going for myself when i pep. I play Black Hawk Down and Jarhead when i pep, and thats about it. I also tend to listen to movie reviews from the guys at Spill.com. those guys are funny, have awesome reviews, cool podcasts and their entertaining to listen to while i work. I also have pretty much the whole entire movie of Black Hawk Down memorized to the point where i quote lines from the movie all the time in real life while hanging out with friends. for instance:

My friends and i were watching shoot em up, and the guy was showing a gun to a baby and describing how the parts worked. he said something about a safety, and then my friend said how safety always comes first (he was refering to using a condom) and i said "well this is my safety sir!"

hopefully you guys get that cuz i feel like a total loser for telling that story :p

When i do my pep i for the most part just grab one of my animes off the shelf and just kind of use that as background noise. and when im out doing the fiberglass and all that other fun stuff i just put my Ipod on random and just go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back