Regarding the 405th Name; Not tryin' to start a controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigma, while I realize you can't copyright a number, The 405th Infantry Division is the name of an intelligence property, not a number.

In any case, it's no big deal, that. Just stating a point that could be used as a flimsy counter-argument of some sort.

And, er, Tyvern, what's with all the random ALLCAPS YOU'VE BEEN USING LATELY? Has your English always been like it is, or is this a recent trend? I don't recall. :/ Not rippin' or nothin'. Just bringin' something that I've been thinkin' about up.

I try to bring my feeling and emotions using emphasis..

it's not like you can type on the computer and make audio come forth that's why.

I understand where you're coming from but again it's not like I'm actually talking to you now is it?

my English is fine except for the internet when I'd like to use an emphasis of some sort(again it's not like you can actually hear me saying something and/or realize what I was actually thinking because typing out is sentence and then reading sounds like the person was saying something without emotion)

and it's not a trend that I'm aware of, just something that I do as a individual

Well the 501st has the same problem. The difference is they were canonized after their formation, but still Lucas technically owns the name.

The thing is we exist by the good graces of Bungie and MS. As long as we represent them well and "use our powers for good" then we'll probably continue to exist.

If you are asking what legal recourse we have for people stealing our stuff, anything 405th (like the logo) that has no halo imagery on it whatsoever is ours (Adam's). You can't really copyright a number. There could be any number of works out there that have a ship or a planet or something named 117. The real problem is the Halo imagery which you notice the 405th does not have in the logo.

Battletech has an Irian Hussar's 405th Infantry Brigade (older than Halo by 15 years)

Real life has the 405th Air Expiditionary Wing, 405th Army Field Support Brigade, 405th Fighter Wing, and I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

But the reality of other people using our 405th logo on merch without permission is much more like the recourse we have for recasting. IP Ban said person, Blacklist said person, notify other prop sites of what they did. With that being their only market for such stuff they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot and ruined their chances at being able to work with people on future projects. Of course that is a worst case scenario. More than often it's just a misunderstanding of the rules that doesn't require we go that far.

Such as the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion and 405th Combat Support Hospital...

I try to bring my feeling and emotions using emphasis..

it's not like you can type on the computer and make audio come forth that's why.

I understand where you're coming from but again it's not like I'm actually talking to you now is it?

my English is fine except for the internet when I'd like to use an emphasis of some sort(again it's not like you can actually hear me saying something and/or realize what I was actually thinking because typing out is sentence and then reading sounds like the person was saying something without emotion)

and it's not a trend that I'm aware of, just something that I do as a individual
My point was simply that there are other things you can use besides ALLCAPS. I'm not rippin' on you, or anything, man. Just sayin' it's kinda a pet peeve. I'm a Grammar Nazi. :p
Such as the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion and 405th Combat Support Hospital...
Those are real-world examples, but the point I had there was The 405th Marine Infantry Division and 405th Infantry Division are copyrights of Bungie, as they appear as IP in the Halo series. The NAME of the fictional squad, and such. It's not a big deal, really, but I'm just sayin', as far as copyright issues go, the 405th ID name is taken.

I completely forgot about the hats and shirts that have been made.

On topic: I'm waiting for the day that an official velcro backed 405th insignia that can be attatched to my bike jacket.

Hi Guys,

Just a thought, would it be possible or an idea for the 405th to design an official "405th Supporter" logo, where members of the forums could request use of such logo for the advertising of the 405th on their armour.

This would allow for the 405th to control the armour that is displaying the logo, so you could use the following;

1. Supporter sends through a request for use of the supporter logo, sending photos of the armour for the logo to be attached to
2. 405th reviews and approves or denys request
3. If approved, member is notified to use the supporter logo with an attached "reference number" so every piece of armour would have the supporter logo with a unique number so that 405th could identify the armour and its owner, this must be on the armour, maybe part of the logo?
4. If the armour is sold or destroyed 405th must be informed and logo removed and re-approval sought from new owner.

Just a thought, I am currently in the first stage of building my first set of armour, and this site has been a massive help to me, I would love the opportunity to promote it on my armour, but fully understand the legal. My second job is a Marketing Executive so I know all about copyrights and TM's.

I hope I have explained my idea so people can understand lol.

Cheers.

Here's an idea for the admin: Sell some basic 405th.com insignia that members can buy from the site. I think it would be a great idea! I'd love to have a little doodad of some variety slotted onto my armour somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back