Reach and mass effects, its been awhile for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

timecon

hey 405th its been awhile since I posted so I thought Id do it since I'm tired of working on projects at the moment, I just like to add a few pics of what I've been working on currently

first mass effects armor for more pics on the build I'll just forward you to my thread at the rpf

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tims-mass-effects-armor-progress-94036/
here is the current status
f7e4ea12.jpg

i'll be getting some el wire tomorrow to start on the lighting system
and just in the last day or so I thought I try making some reach armor out of foam just like the mass effects armor because its cheap.
adb96c06.jpg

bf307676.jpg

b9b67b00.jpg
I still have a lot to do but let me know what you think and to Brandon McClain I'm sending you a pm hope your still in provo.

Oh my god, I think I'm in love with you ^^ I'm a massive fan of mass effectand that suit is truly amazing, your a genius with foam! Can't wait to see how the lighting system works :D

lol I was just checking out your reach armor thread its looking great! and thanks

just read through that N7 thread on rpf, really cool stuff. where did you find the patterns for it? really smart idea using foam

that mass effect suit is AMAZING, I can't believe how good realistic that looks, its exactly what I think it would look like in real life. Absolutely amazing

dude... the shepherd armor is simply amazing... I love the detail! We truely are not worthy

That has to be the best N7 armour I have seen anywhere! Outstanding sir! I've toyed with the idea by never got around to it, I'll finish first my Clone armour first I think. Your eye for detail is spot on! :D

Mass Effect! Reach! My 2 Favorite games all in one? this can only be THE POWER OF GOD! Amazing N7 armor I mean it looks... REAL! haha And the Reach Chest, The detail is Amazing I cant wait to see more

thanks guys and gals I think that I've finished building the chest I now have to seal it and paint I really would like to air brush it but I dont have the system so I'm going to see if there is something cheap that might do the job also I got my el wires today and already put it in the back pack thingy and added some of my own artisticness to it.
898ef73e.jpg

40de79ab.jpg

8ae773bf.jpg

67184de7.jpg

22d2fad0.jpg

Looking really good Tim! Did you free hand the reach chest or use a pep template? Also where did you buy your foam at? online or at a sports store?

This is newer technique to the 405th. I have seen this done on before with "soft" costumes armor but your reach chest looks very solid and metal-like.

the foam was purchased at harbor freight, and this is very cool way to do things I only came across it recently on the rpf forum and thought I give it a try, as for the template yes about 40% pep and 60% coming up with my own stuff to put it together. but I've only ben working on it for 2 days now and I've already gotten done more than what it would have taking me almost 6 weeks, granted its not as clean as that type of work but it cheap fast and comfortable, weighs less than 5 lbs.

I just like everything about this. As for the N7, I think the foam worked perfect for that, especially when looking at some of the reference pics. The foam helps to give that "manufactured, carbon fiber" type look that the N7 armor has. On the MKV chest piece, I like how you use the different faces of the foam to allow for different textures on the armor. Again, love everything about it. Top notch Tim!!

-Matt

Love the Mass Effect suit, looks great.
Testors and badger has some decent cheap airbrush kits. They have cans of propellant you can use instead of a compressor also.

first off, I gotta say, that is freaking insane!!!!!!!!!!!!! second, is there any way you can show us how to create something like this out of foam? maybe if you have any free time? I know Im asking a lot and i know your probly busy, but we would really enjoy knowing in depth how you created this masterpiece!!!!

That's a really awesome new way of armor-making I've seen spring up recently. The results are fantastic. It seems hard to work with, though. There any chance you'll help us out with a tutorial sometime? I tried to follow the blog for BioWeapons.com, but they kind of assume you know more about the whole process than the average costume maker.

Er, sorry. It's awesome! The lightweight factor and expedience makes it really appealing. Keep up the good work!

on the contrary eternallydusk I have never ever used foam before and when I found bioweapons, even though he doesn't say a lot if you study the pictures its quite easy to figure out how he did it. I found the website on a wed night, found were he bought the foam at on by reading his thread on the rpf which is harbor freight for those wondering, bought it the next day and started building, of course another member/friend on here was kind enough to lend me his pattern for some parts and I modified it to my liking, so that did save some time. but he doest want me to release it and that will be up to him when he is ready, so please don't ask me for them as I want to respect his wishes, however I will share his blog to give him the credit he deserves, http://www.yodajammies.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

as for a tutorial on my reach armor I really cant provide one at this time, all I can say is I took a pep model, took out the bigger pieces and muddled through the rest as you don't need a lot of the smaller pieces, I used a dremal for all the shaping of parts, I used hot glue, exact o knife, ruler, and pen, I also used .25 in foam and the standard thin sheets of black for detail stuff. but I can show you some of the pieces

0bf4f3e6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back