Hello! Link inside to my intro post and video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to worry about man. Ill help anyway I can.. from way over here. lol

But first! I have to tell you, Im loving your sense of humor! From the Dos Equis reference to my favorite Elmer Fudd episode, awesome, lol.

I jumped into my helmet headfirst and it turned out great, well I think so anyway. If you are making a mold, then other than making sure it is the right size for you, and that Jun helmet for sure is, dont think of it as anything but a tool.

Ill never wear the one I used for a prototype again because it doesnt fit over my head anymore and Im going to keep it to make a new mold if I need to at any point in the future. I made it a very basic ODST bondoed out purposely made with minimal details for personalization of individual castings later.

It was sanded very smooth and came out of the mold with little difficulty. You DO want to make sure that the original is reinforced well - FROM THE INSIDE - because taking the rubber/latex mold off of the helmet will put a lot of stress on it and you do not want it to crack/smash or otherwise become damaged.

I had painted my original and clear coated it. Not sure if this was necessary, but it came out of the mold easy with very little flaking/sticking to the rubber.

Maybe this is the best way to state my theory on this - DO everything to your helmet before making the mold that you do not want to repeat on each casting. If you want a smooth, realistic looking helmet, make it so before making the mold. It will save you tons of work on each successful pull.

I followed BenStreepers vids and they worked great. Im far from an expert on armor making and I did just fine. You seem to have quite some talent for it and it is good to see you worry about the end product, but you are going to do a great job man.

I would use bondo for sure on the outside of the helm and smooth it out so it will come out of the mold easier. Easier to work with than rondo too.

Just keep going at it, I bet you will impress yourself.

"MY MAGIC HEEEELLLMET!" Lol

Thanks for the encouragement!
I just went out last night and bought some new tools and various materials to get the next step going forward. I'm committed to making this sucker the best I can. I just get worried about each step seeing as how it's all new to me. I'm basically forcing myself into learning an entirely new skill set. But I love it!

I'm actually going to go out to the shop today and get it going. I'll also post up a new vid of my new toys and materials.

And gotcha...go with just bondo on the outside...will do.

/salute

T.

About those brushes: Try ebay. I found a guy who sells packs of 12 brushes for like 4 € or so (don't remember exactly). If I can find such a ridiculously cheap price here, you, being in the US, can probably get someone to pay your for taking a pack of those! :)

Your helmets are looking really nice. I buy my brushes from harbor freight about $5 for a box of 36. I buy gloves there too a box of 100 for around $5 too.

if you dont mind me asking where did you get the files for Carter i cant find any PDO. files for his helm anywhere :p

Both helmates look freaking sweet! i cant wait for all the detail and coloring to go on em! :D

//Jeremy

Pic update and vid

DSCN1920.JPG

DSCN1921.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

DSCN1918.JPG

DSCN1916.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Youre off to a great start, those are looking about right for the steps of bondo. Youre going to have some nice helmets when youre finished.

Not sure how much experience you have with bondo, but may I offer a suggestion... The key to bondo is thin layers, and sand each layer as you go. It eliminates many of the bubbles and other problems you may have down the road. If you have any bondo questions feel free to hit me up. Been working with it for a while.

Well, I'm back. Finally. Crazy times since December. Out of state work, no internet, no money for armor projects, life, death, good , evil....choas. But yes, now I am able to jump into my projects o0nce again and would love to get back in contact with guys on here doing the same. Looks like I got locked out of a few permissions though? No Trade forums for me? Strange. Never even bought anything and never had an issue with anyone? Maybe just due to inactivity?
It'd be nice to pick up a few pre pepped items to help get me ahead/back on track. Who should I talk to about that? Forum mods? Anyway...looking forward to it all. /salute
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back