Progress Build: My IRON MAN helmets (and WAR MACHINE) and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, new update!

I finished epoxy'ing (+ cabosil) the bicep, forearm, elbow, and hand plate. Man the parts are RIGID! its perfect. And I did do one part with fiberglass matting on the inside, but after completing it I can now see that the fiberglass matting is not needed at all and it doesn't help with this application. I did the parts in just one thick coat of the epoxy.

I attached the elbow, bicep, and forearm with some bolts to give it some articulation and so that it would stay together.

grayarm1.jpg

grayarm2.jpg

I was planning on smoothing out the parts (see the bicep), but have decided on holding out on smoothing it out. I'm just going to complete the project without smoothing for now. And then when it's complete, I'll smooth it out.

So I went out to AutoZone and bought some car spray paint. I picked a nice metallic red (GM color) and it matched the iron man toy that I use as reference (it's about 8" tall) almost exact! I painted the forearm pieces, the handplate, and elbow. It looks really cool!

redarm2.jpg

redarm.jpg

On a less sexy update note, I finished pepping the shoulder bell and primed it. I'll try to get that done soon, and then the fingers and glove.

Looks great as always man. How much sideways motion do you have with the arm rigged together like that?

I'm able to bend the elbow at over 90* and spin my wrist within the wrist piece enough to keep MOST of my natural movement, but overall it does limit movement somewhat. But definately wearable.

wow nice progress!!! i'm definitely impressed!

i'm still trying to finish my war machine HD helmet construction! haha. i'm hoping i'll get it done by the end of sunday... or at least by the end of this week. the helmet is small for me tho (i'm only 5'2") and i printed it at .90%
but main purpose of this helmet is for my 3yr old son (but i was kinda hoping it'll fit me too. lol)

one thing i gotta admit tho - this HD helmet is a BITCH to do! being my first pepakura as well.. hats off to all of you who make this look so easy!

wow nice progress!!! i'm definitely impressed!

i'm still trying to finish my war machine HD helmet construction! haha. i'm hoping i'll get it done by the end of sunday... or at least by the end of this week. the helmet is small for me tho (i'm only 5'2") and i printed it at .90%
but main purpose of this helmet is for my 3yr old son (but i was kinda hoping it'll fit me too. lol)

one thing i gotta admit tho - this HD helmet is a BITCH to do! being my first pepakura as well.. hats off to all of you who make this look so easy!

Thanks!

I just completed epoxy'ing the inner shoulder bell piece, the fingers, and the upper and lower palm pieces today. I'm not exactly sure on what type of glove I'm going to place the fingers on. Also, I finished pepping the inner Mark VI brace. That one may take a little bit to epoxy tho.

Wow it looks great! Now since the file is the whole arm and it's not out straight, where did you measure on your arm to compensate fir the bend?

Wow it looks great! Now since the file is the whole arm and it's not out straight, where did you measure on your arm to compensate fir the bend?

I'm not really sure what you mean by your question. I just put the bicep on and just bolted the elbow piece on where I thought it should go. And then the same for the forearm piece.

Also, since I didn't mention earlier, the wrist piece is not attached to the forearm, so that gives me a tiny bit more articulation too.

OK, update!

I painted the shoulder bell:

shoulderbelldone.jpg

I also finished the fingers and placed them on a thin glove I bought at SportsAuthority (a sports equipment store). The gloves are meant for warmth, but they are very thin. $15.

hand1.jpg

hand2.jpg

hand3.jpg

hand4.jpg

I only (hot) glued the fingertips on. I figured this would be the best way to make the gloves easier take on/off. Also, I opened up the bottom parts of the 'rings' on the fingers so that they don't fit super tight and cut off circulation.

hand5.jpg

And now one last image just for progress!

fullarminprogress.jpg

BTW, i hadn't posted the color I used. I'm using "Dupli-Color" "Perfect Match Premium Automotive Paint" color "BGM0509 Dark Cherry Met (94 WA9088) - Replicates T199". Again, this color matches the large 8" toy you see in stores perfectly. I found the paint at AutoZone in the spray paint section.

Great job so far

BTW, i hadn't posted the color I used. I'm using "Dupli-Color" "Perfect Match Premium Automotive Paint" color "BGM0509 Dark Cherry Met (94 WA9088) - Replicates T199". Again, this color matches the large 8" toy you see in stores perfectly. I found the paint at AutoZone in the spray paint section.[/QUOTE]

cool i just bought that exact same paint two weeks ago

No new update, just wondering whoever reads this: do you know where I can download the PEP's for war machine? I'm going to continue with iron man, but my friend wants to do war machine for himself.

Sorry EvilTw1n quick question if you could please let me know are you bondoing the outsides etc? OR are you just resingin priming and painting? Also could GREATLY use your contribution on a War Machine / Iron Man sizing thread. Please hop on over there and ofer some of your wisdom on sizing Iron Man pieces!!! THANKS ^_^

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29035-Iron-Man-War-Machine-Sizing-Help-Questions?highlight=machine+armor
I'm not smoothing the outside yet. My goal is to complete the suit as is (polygonal look) first, and then start smoothing. Sanding can take a really long time, I thought this would be the best way to do it for me so that I wouldn't lose interest in the project and keep progress moving forward faster.

So yes, I'm resining/epoxying the inside and just priming and painting.

Hey, i just wanted to say thanks for posting your paint color, i went out and bought a can and sprayed my helmet real quick for halloween.. The color is beautiful and very close to what i think the real suit is. Close enough for me anyway, especially for 6 dollars. The Gold i ended up using for the faceplate was the Duplicolor Color Match Sunburst gold. It has a great look to it as well. Here are some crappy cell phone pics of my helmet in its current state

11012010078.jpg

11012010076.jpg

11012010075.jpg

10302010074.jpg

10302010073.jpg

10302010072.jpg

Hey, i just wanted to say thanks for posting your paint color, i went out and bought a can and sprayed my helmet real quick for halloween.. The color is beautiful and very close to what i think the real suit is. Close enough for me anyway, especially for 6 dollars. The Gold i ended up using for the faceplate was the Duplicolor Color Match Sunburst gold. It has a great look to it as well. Here are some crappy cell phone pics of my helmet in its current state

11012010078.jpg

11012010076.jpg

11012010075.jpg

10302010074.jpg

10302010073.jpg

10302010072.jpg
wow, that looks great! which helmet model is that? that's not the HD iron man, right? Does the face plate come off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back