Process for cutting a visor out of a motorcycle helmet faceshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageAce

Can someone explain--from start to finish--how I would go about cutting the visor for my rogue helmet out of a motorcycle helmet faceshield? I need to know some of these things as well:

- What is a good tool for cutting the shape out of the visor
- What other tools will I need for this task
- How do I go about cutting it out/ making markings/ etc.
- How do I install the visor

Thank you guys so much!

The best thing I've found for cutting visors is a dremel with a fiber-reinfrced cutting disk.

The other tools you will need are blue painter's masking tape, a sharpie, and possibly some clamps.

For cutting:
1) Put tape over all or most of the visor to avoid scratching it while cutting or marking.
2) press the visor into your helmet, then trace the opening onto the masking tape.
3) carefully cut the visor with the dremel. Leave yourself plenty of extra around the edges! You'll need the extra material to attach it to the inside of the helmet, and to make up for the inevitable errors in marking.

There are a lot of ways to put the visor in the helm. Some people use epoxy, some use hotglue. some make a frame that bolts to the inside of the helm and clamps the visor in place, I glued Tee-nuts to the inside of my helm and drilled holes through the extra visor so I could bolt it on with machine screws into the nuts.
You'll probably want to look through people build threads and pick the method that you like the best, everyone has their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back