"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the second post of my Mk VI thread, there are a few links for military BDU's. They breathe very nicely, so I don't overheat. As stated earlier, stay away from wet-suits or any sort of clothing designed to retain heat.

This helps a lot!!! I would love to see your patterns for the shoulder pieces and neck piece.

This helps a lot!!! I would love to see your patterns for the shoulder pieces and neck piece.

Well, the undersuit didn't have any patterns, as I designed it and built it at the same time. As far as the neck seal, it was a pattern I received from Adam for donating money toward the move of this site from one server to another a few years ago. So, I'm unfortunately reluctant to share it since technically, it's property of Blue Realm Studios.

Calf pieces are attached to the codpiece, providing you are using the method of strapping all of the pieces together rather than to the body, via buckles. The codpiece is then in turn held up by suspenders, allowing the weight to be spread more evenly on the body.

I believe you're thinking of the thighs there Sergant. The calves are a bit far from the cod to be attaching them to it.

I've got a strap running around the top of my calf in my shin armor...

DSCN1128.jpg

...as well as a bit of padding at the back of the very bottom to hold it tight against my leg...

DSCN1129.jpg

The padding is attached via a strip of velcro. So, to put the shin on, I take off the padding, put the shin on, strap it, then stuff the padding back into place.

I've got a strap running around the top of my calf in my shin armor...

DSCN1128.jpg

...as well as a bit of padding at the back of the very bottom to hold it tight against my leg...

DSCN1129.jpg

The padding is attached via a strip of velcro. So, to put the shin on, I take off the padding, put the shin on, strap it, then stuff the padding back into place.

thats really helpful! thanks a lot! what did you use for the padding though?

I use Poly-fil foam covered in cloth. There is a tutorial covering how I pad my armor on post #225 of my Mk VI build, LINK.

That is great! thank you very much! I was contemplating using some of that case foam they use for carrying around electronics or guitars and what not, but this is looking very promising!

That is great! thank you very much! I was contemplating using some of that case foam they use for carrying around electronics or guitars and what not, but this is looking very promising!

I can't imagine that the type of foam they use to pad electronics would be very comfortable. Besides, the poly-fil foam is pretty inexpensive. I got a pretty good size roll of it for less that $20.

I can't imagine that the type of foam they use to pad electronics would be very comfortable. Besides, the poly-fil foam is pretty inexpensive. I got a pretty good size roll of it for less that $20.

Sorry! I probably could have been a bit more descriptive. At the school I went to we had about three or 4 sheets of this stuff lying in a stack in our theater booth which we would lay on it i fell asleep on it once. it was pretty similar to this http://www.foambymail.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/antistaticfoam3.jpg just its black not pink and the theater manager said you can buy this stuff with out the ridges.

Hello everyone! Uh, I have another question. I would love it if someone would be able to link me to a place where I could get both padding that is used inside the armor, and padding for the helmet. I think the armor padding is supposed to be black so that it is hidden, and the motorcycle helmet padding, is well, motorcycle padding. If anyone knows, I'd be happy if I could get a link for a site or something like that. Thank you! And I am a little bit in a rush for these items!

Hey grey,

Its a bit thin and weak but ive used the padding from the motherboard boxes from my local computer distributor. You can get really thick pads and some really thin ones but i find it really easy to manipulate into corners and such. I get it all for free since they just throw it out anyway. Hope that helps :)

Eva foam has worked well for me, just have to make sure the area you will glue it to is clean. e.g., no paint, no uncured rondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the other type of padding that I was talking about was for the helmet, like if there is a certain type of replacement motorcycle helmet padding that I would use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back