"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
replacement motorcycle helmet padding that I would use?

you said it. check with your local Harley Davidson or motorcycle shop, they go for relatively cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably a ludicrously stupid question that i've missed the answer to in my reading that i think is an attachment question but i could be wrong.

If I were to say pep the HD Recon Chest (attachment?) by L3X is it meant to be attached over the top of a fully pepped complete torso piece (i.e. flyingsquirrel's HD Mk VI torso) or would it just replace the front of the torso piece?

This is probably a ludicrously stupid question that i've missed the answer to in my reading that i think is an attachment question but i could be wrong.

If I were to say pep the HD Recon Chest (attachment?) by L3X is it meant to be attached over the top of a fully pepped complete torso piece (i.e. flyingsquirrel's HD Mk VI torso) or would it just replace the front of the torso piece?

Usually, the Halo 3 chest add-ons are meant to be attached over a finished torso. The shoulder add-ons, however, replace the top portion of the MK VI shoulder (the part that sort of looks like a med kit from ODST).

hey im not having any luck with using the search but how to i attach the shoulder attachments to the actual shoulders? hot glue? velco? whats the best method?

I am actually going to use shoulder permutations on my suit soon as well! What I am going to do is connect the EVA shoulder to the bicep piece using nails. The permutation is thick enough in certain areas. As for the other shoulder (security), what I will do is glue excercise mats or wooden blocks to the permutation and drill through the Mark VI pauldron and into the mat/block. You could use hot glue, but I wouldn't recommend velcro, as the permutations would be liable to come off easily, not to mention the velcro weakening. If you had to use a glue, I would suggest starting with hot glue and strengthening the bond with PVC glue or epoxy.

As for the search engine of ours, it's not exactly Bing. Of course, you're an Infantryman and I'm a noob, so you probably know more about this topic (as well as armor mounting) than I do!

Would a springy foam be ok to use? Just with epxoy like SergentTinkers reccommended? It would provide manouverability to a point. When you move it shouldnt get caught up in other protruding armour or helmet pieces just give a resistance. If its fixed it might try to break / crack either piece. Its what i would use. But then Iv'e never acutally made something requireing mounted pieces yet. Im working on a t45-d power armour set from fallout 3 that has several pieces on the shoulders so it will be interesting. But now I have an alternative thanks to SergentTinkers. Cheers for that! :)

No problem, friend! One thing to consider is that it is fairly natural for armor pieces to bump into each other every once in a while. If your armor pieces are so large or so small they constantly restrict movement, then there really isn't much you can do other than try scaling the piece all over again. For example: In my build, I have an EOD helmet from Halo 3. If you remember the helmet, it had rebreathers that protrude out quite far. This restricts turning my head, since the rebreathers bump into the torso. The only thing to do in this particular instance is to live with it. But I digress.

The important thing to remember is that whatever mounting method you use has to be strong enough to not come apart. If you use foam, make sure it is strong enough that the foam can't rip apart itself. This is why small, out-of-the-way nails aren't a bad idea. What you could do is add padding underneath the shoulder pieces to give them cushion against impacts. Really, the choice is yours!

you said it. check with your local Harley Davidson or motorcycle shop, they go for relatively cheap.
Saying that, you can also make your own by sewing tubes and filling them with cushion foam. Then make as many as you need to fill your helmet so it fits nice and snug. Black pillow case or a softer material that resembles motorcycle helmet padding...
Considering that on my searches to find replacement a full set of helmet padding could easily cost upwards of $150

Last edited by a moderator:
hey im not having any luck with using the search but how to i attach the shoulder attachments to the actual shoulders? hot glue? velco? whats the best method?

That's really going to be a personal preference job. Do you want to remove the attachments? maybe for transport... I mean you could even go as far as using pop rivets if you really wanted to.

Hey guys or gals idk if this is the correct place to ask this but I've been seeing people using this stuff called Eva foam to cushion the inside of their helmets. And I was wondering if anyone knew like a store or a place where I could buy a few sheets I'm looking for 4 mm thick sheets. If anyone knows please let me know thanks

Hello, I'm Cory.
after hours of reviewing the site, I'm still lost. clearly new, i need a little help. I am currently undertaking a halo Reach EOD helmet build, and i cannot find any useful advice on what visor to use. i have no means of time or resources to make one, so if any help on what might fit would be great!

Hello, I'm Cory.
after hours of reviewing the site, I'm still lost. clearly new, i need a little help. I am currently undertaking a halo Reach EOD helmet build, and i cannot find any useful advice on what visor to use. i have no means of time or resources to make one, so if any help on what might fit would be great!

Read through the attachment on the first post of this thread...

http://www.facebook.com/405th

In this attachment, section 6.3 covers visors. However, since you're new, reading the entire article would be a huge benefit to you.

Hey guys or gals idk if this is the correct place to ask this but I've been seeing people using this stuff called Eva foam to cushion the inside of their helmets. And I was wondering if anyone knew like a store or a place where I could buy a few sheets I'm looking for 4 mm thick sheets. If anyone knows please let me know thanks
Most people use Yoga or gym mat EVA foam tiles. You can buy them from Ebay ( US and UK and pretty much any other country ) I'm fairly sure they're about 21mm thick. Although I wouldn't use it for padding inside a helmet. Think Motrobike helmet. You can make padding like that by sewing different sized tubes of black linen( Or felt type stuff ) and stuffing them tightly. Then attach them to the inside of the helmet... PM me and I'll find you some links, there's a few examples on the 405th.

Hello, I'm Cory.

Hi there cory, Many people use motorcycle helmet visors. You can pick up replacement visors for about £30 http://www.racevisors.co.uk/category/visors-genuine-premier
For example, these can then be cut and fitted to suit your needs.

Hey guys i was hoping to get some help form you great gents. I'm doing a jfo helmet, but i don't know how to do the visor I don't have a high power vacuum cleaner or the space to make one. It's like this i rent a room so no use of the oven or vacuum cleaner the way i need to use them to make a visor. So dose any one have a good idea of how to make one or find one on line. I'm willing to pay for it i just don't know were to find it.
Thanks lot,
Bio Delta

If you can find a visor with a large enough height, then you can just use an HJC helmet. You can select your choice from a wide variety of options off of eBay. Many people use them for their helmets. A good deal ranges between $20-$30. Having a "too big" of a visor is not a problem, since you can just cut it down. The problem would be the visor being too small.

hey guys i got my visor, really dissapointed about it. not what i wanted so im getting a new one but before i went and bought a new visor i placed the other one my helemet and noticed that the helmet contour is so messed up. any ideas on what to do thanks guys and gals

Could you give us some pictures? It's kind of hard to understand what you mean. I would imagine that the original visor doesn't fit properly with the helmet. Understand that you're going to have to cut some of the visor off in order for it to fit inside your helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back