"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm ... well so far, it's looking likely that I'll be using straps to secure everything but the armour on the extremities, as many people have suggested. At the end of the day, how you choose to lay out these straps comes down to personal preference, or so it seems. For the Forearms I'm debating about attaching the gauntlets to the Bracers, I'll most likely be using Motorcycle gauntlets of one type or another which should mean that they'll be able to support the extra weight without bunching up or slipping off. I'll let you know how this goes. As for the shins I'm not sure yet ... but plotting!

The key though does appear to be "How to attach the parts securely but allow sufficent freedom of movement so as to prevent them hindering you as you move about." I foresee much trial and error ... hopefully more trial than error though!

Ok... I just thought of something and wondering too. since people say they rather to use bolt to hold their strap thing. ok but how can you stop it from havin bolt showing on front of your armors? that would make it look so OUT of there? I rather to keep it hiding. so How did you do that?

Ok... I just thought of something and wondering too. since people say they rather to use bolt to hold their strap thing. ok but how can you stop it from havin bolt showing on front of your armors? that would make it look so OUT of there? I rather to keep it hiding. so How did you do that?

Heh-heh.... sorry, can't answer that one. With Robocop and War Machine, it wasn't really an issue. ;)

For securing straps to the armor, Bondo works great.

I temporarily secured the strap with hot glue, and then pile some Bondo on top of it. Or rondo. Either works. But it creates a VERY strong hold. You have to break the armor before the Bondo will let go.

I'm building an Iron Man armor, for the moment I've made only pepakura, but I'd like to have some help now for the assembly. Have someone built an Iron Man armor? I need help for mount together the pieces. Sorry for my grammar ;)

I was planning to vacuum forming my armor, but I am not shur how I can assemble plastic. Does anyone have any experience with assembling vacuumed formed plastics?

I was planning to vacuum forming my armor, but I am not sure how I can assemble plastic. Does anyone have any experience with assembling vacuumed formed plastics?
Sean Bradley does. In fact he wrote some very nice guides for everything you want to know about assembling vacuumformed armor. Details here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...m-formed-ODST-armor-Last-run-before-DragonCon

In case you don't have access to that forum section yet, here are the direct links.
Armor Instructions (download): ODST_Armor_Kit_Instructionsa.pdf - MediaFire
(online): Online ODST Armor Instructions - Under Construction

Last edited by a moderator:
im making a mix of mark 5 and mark 6 armor pices so far ive only made two reach
hand plates up to fiberglass stage a mark 6 eva sholder and carter sholder pepakured
but i intend on making a undersuit so dont want any straps showing so i thought i could get a band of elastic that are tight on my arm and mount them to the pice of armor but was thinking if the armor would pull on the elastic straps to much

im making a mix of mark 5 and mark 6 armor pices so far ive only made two reach
hand plates up to fiberglass stage a mark 6 eva sholder and carter sholder pepakured
but i intend on making a undersuit so dont want any straps showing so i thought i could get a band of elastic that are tight on my arm and mount them to the pice of armor but was thinking if the armor would pull on the elastic straps to much

I would say it all depends on how heavy the piece is and if it will be in a place on your body that will make it move a lot during wear. Elastic is not the best to use just because elastic has a tendency to break and your left with it sagging on your body because you have nothing else holding it up. But like i said it all depends on how heavy the piece is and where it is on the body.

sounds much better but you would need to insure that the undersuit is strond and padded on the areas its pulling on or it will kill after a while.

i noticed that some of you said the velcro didnt work. Did it come apart or did stick to the undersuit? If it didnt stick how would sewing it to the undersuit work? What are your opinions? Im building a 2 mark v (b) and trying to get ideas before i get to that point.

I don't really think attaching it to the undersuit is the real problem with velcro. The problem is attaching the other side to your pieces and making sure they stay. You may be able to resin them on but other than that it would take a lot of glue/cement to keep it on with the materials used to harden the object. I tried using Industrial strength velcro on my pieces to start with but they just grabbed the paint i used on the inside to make it darker and came off. I was holding up just about a quarter of my armor by the end of the night.

When i know when a part is too big or to small ??? i may explain myself, well im making and odst suit using first the weta team files and now changed to Hugs files, but i have a problem im using extremtactics scaling tutorial and still cant get the "rigth size" how much the parts are going to make bigger in the inside when i aply the fibre glass on them i hope this post be understable :p

so i just get all the measure necesarry if some one can help help me whit the scaling ill be very grateful
Untitled.png

what do i do after i assemble the paper? i saw someone mention earlier but can find it. resin fiberglass bondo sand paint.. is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back