"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
just throwing this out there if i cut my helmet in two like say fro ear to ear then resin/fiberglass what would you recommend as a binding system for puting the two peices of the helmet to gether now hears the tricky part it has to be detachable please dont say velcro.

Just a quick one, and if you guys can't help, no biggie: I'm making Space Marine Power Armour, and keeping in line with Sci-Fi social status, the pauldrons are huge. So huge, in fact, I can't reach up to my head to get my helmet on or off. I know, right :/ I thought about scaling it down, but it fits perfect, and it falls to the exact right area. Any thoughts?

Since I can't post in the respectable threa this inquiry is related about this is my next option. I am trying to find the best looking undersuit(chest/pants)/gloves ect. that I need for my armor. I looked through the thread in the creation discussion sub forum and looked through all the posts however most of the links were dead or took me to something that wasn't what it should be. So my question is what is the absolutely beet undersuit you all use for the Mk VI. I want mine to be absolutely perfect but I don't know how to sow or anything of that nature nor do I war to spend the money doing so. I looked at the superhero oufit but unfortunately I'm not willing to spend 1,500 - 3,000 so what is some good things that are not outrageous but look really awesome and as close to the real thing that you can buy.

Thank you in advance for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Since I can't post in the respectable threa this inquiry is related about this is my next option.
My guess is that they have started instituting a rule where noobs aren't allowed to start a thread immediately after they join. This is probably meant to "force" them to read the stickies and other related threads, which you don't seem to be doing.

I am trying to find the best looking undersuit(chest/pants)/gloves ect. that I need for my armor. I looked through the thread in the creation discussion sub forum and looked through all the posts however most of the links were dead or took me to something that wasn't what it should be.
If you had gone to the undersuit and soft armor forum, you would have come across the undersuit resource thread. The names, brands and links are provided in that thread. If the links are broken, use those names to google them.

So my question is what is the absolutely beet undersuit you all use for the Mk VI. I want mine to be absolutely perfect but I don't know how to sow or anything of that nature nor do I war to spend the money doing so. I looked at the superhero oufit but unfortunately I'm not willing to spend 1,500 - 3,000 so what is some good things that are not outrageous but look really awesome and as close to the real thing that you can buy.
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Look at the reference pics and look at the pics in the resource thread. Pick the ones that you think are closest to the reference pics. Look at the responses of other members as well and go from there. But in the end, don't expect them to be cheap. The undersuit supplies alone could run you several hundreds of dollars. This hobby ain't cheap!

Sorry. i meant i couldn't post in the thread because it was locked and the last post was a really long time ago. and trust me i did read them i promise you that and i did go through "said thread", i was just looking for input on what some of you guys who have outstanding looking armor are using, I am totally aware how much it's going to cost i just didnt want to spend 1,500 on that one particular undersuit. but i was really just asking for a little help since i have no idea what to look for even with the links, i'm still not sure how its all going to come together, so i apologize if this is something that noobs do but i did read the stickies and im just trying to get some specific help. thank you.

For Comic-Con 2011, I was hoping to make a wearable replica of my Halo:Reach spartan with attachable/detachable armor variants. I chose the helmet to be ODST, the chest to be HP/Halo both, the knees to be FJ/para, and both the shoulders being ODST. The problem is the only readily available materials I have are cardboard, aluminum, spray paint and paper. I do not have any velcro or magnets. Go to Bungie.net and look for the shadows. I will change the armor to my Comic-Con 2011 specifications. *edit* I only have ODST for one shoulder on my actual reach character. *edit* I now have both ODST shoulders

Perhaps the way I have engineered my ''attachment system" will be of some help. (for extremities only-arms,legs)I have considered many different options and various means of 'rigging' and the idea of straps and buckles hanging out all over the place just tweaks my OCD.... So with that said... 1st I'll start with wearing the full 1pc. body under-suit (includes head, hand and feat). 2nd, after you have your armor bits pre-resined and harded, I recommend only doing one limb at a time ... Wrap your arm and/or leg with plastic 'cling' wrap, making sure it's as smooth as possible, then test-fit each bit for location and proper fit. once this is acheived, secure them inplace using an elastic band(s) around the exterior (not too tight). Now this is where the 'cling wrap' comes into play... next is to fill the voids inside the armor shell using expanding foam. The excess will plume out around the edges and can be easily trimmed away and sanded then resined over the inside for an extremely strong composite armor core. What you have after trimming is a form-fitting armor core that can easily accept velcro. I suggest 2 inch wide strips as long as possible for maximum retetion. The next step is to sew the corrisponding velco strips onto the body suits exterior with a thin foam backer so as to keep then slightly lifted from the body for cooling.. I suggest splitting the arm and leg armor cores into 2 seperate bits as this will allow for stretching of the body suit, allow ease of movement and minimize any sag from larger armor cores. I will be using other methods to attach the boots and torso. Cheers .. i hope this helps S122.... out.

Im not really sure if this goes here, but i was going to make an EVA chest, but the pep one is something you would mount on another chest. Do you use a whole mark VI chest or do you cut part of it out? and how do you mount it?

I don't know if someone else, have already done this questions, but, whis type of paper to print the pepakura files?

I don't know if someone else, have already done this questions, but, whis type of paper to print the pepakura files?

Yep, assuming I'm understanding you right, this question is being asked and answered on a regular basis. You need paper with a weight of 220 to 250 g/m². Don't use normal office paper (that usually weights 60...100 g/m²).

Remember to search the forum before asking a question. There's a search bar in the upper right corner and lots of tutorials are also stuck right at the top of the boards. You may also want to have a look at this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list

Is there anything special you need to do if you want to use elastic bands to hold together smaller parts of your armor? Also, do you know of any places that sell elastic bands strong enough?

Question: I have made the Mark VI chest, and it is scaled properly, as in it fit when i was making it, but now when it is done, i can not get my head and arms in without breaking it. How do people normaly deal with this? Or does this mean that it is to small?

Question: I have made the Mark VI chest, and it is scaled properly, as in it fit when i was making it, but now when it is done, i can not get my head and arms in without breaking it. How do people normaly deal with this? Or does this mean that it is to small?

Usually, people cut it into a front and a back half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back