magnetic attachment of armor pieces to under suit and other pieces-concept discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyvern

Sr Member
Hey guys I'm thinking on doing something different for my armor involving magnets.

I was thinking this really interesting thought, the elite armor makers, impressive nobbies, some of my friends, other members armor builds have inspired me to think of this idea....you guys rock!..here goes!

-forearms could be made into 2 shell pieces along "invisible" seems and held together by magnets--3 along each seem and small/ relatively strong, the seem would conform to sections that have lines and grooves and so wouldn't detract from detail and could still have padding and also be magnetically attached to the undersuit.

-shins would also be the same concept as the forearms but adapted for use on shin pieces also magnetically attached to the undersuit.

-hand plates would be attached to the gloves as usual.

-ab plates could be made of flex-foam and attached magnetically and/or rigged.

-torso armor could be made so that the back pack part is attached like a backpack and the chest part could be attached magnetically.

-helmets would be worn as usual.

-shoulder armor could be attached by straps around the bicep and a magnet or two for firm placement.

-groin plates would be worn as usual

-thigh armor could have flex-foam inner thigh parts epoxied to the inside of the actual piece and the actual piece could be strapped and held in place on the undersuit by magnets and snap-on buttons

that's my concept guys, I hope you liked it

P.S. the magnets would not interfere with you fans, batteries, and lights

Thats not a bad idea. I love magnetics, they're just so useful! I am planning on putting a moderately strong few on the center of the back, and then in all the weapons i plan on making so they will click onto my back piece really easily! then i can walk around with the weapon on my back and dont have to hold it.

Best place I've seen for getting magnets, they have alot of info on pull force required so you know how strong they are, dimensions and all kinds of sizes and shapes.

: www.KJMagnetics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
nice guys!

@The Black Hatter: I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the backpack for my suit and the thighs, though I might make a thigh mounted holster similar to that found on the halo graphic novel on the spartan testing the Mk.VI suit.-maybe we could compare notes?

@everyone else: the magnets would be concealed by the insides of the armor parts and straps would be concealed by the parts at places where it wouldn't be obivious

You'd need bloody strong magnets. The amount of force holding my greaves on right now is like 50 or 60 pounds, per leg.

I got some magnets from K&J (I have loved that site forever) and they hold the comms pack on my helmet. It takes 6 just to keep it on. (Given, they're tiny buggers)

I'm going to attempt to use magnets to secure the weapons I plan on making later.

That's a very interesting idea. I could see that working for smaller pieces, like the hand plates, but for the bigger pieces, I don't know if that would work. You will need VERY strong magnets, and lots of them.

The big problem shouldn't be the strength of the magnets, there's lots of cheap, strong and perfectly suitable magnets out there.
The problem is that even those strong ones can do little against shear forces, so anything you want to attach with magnets, you would have to secure against those separately. A rubberized (or other high-friction) surface might do the trick, but to be perfectly safe, the parts would have to grip into each other mechanically.

Me and the other Phoenix members plan on using magnets to attach our weapons to our backs and thighs and such. >.>

This is going to be a good thread to follow and share ideas. Thanks Tyvern, for starting it.

I can say from experience that Rare Earth magnets is the best way to go. I'm using the Rare Earth magnets from defective Hard Drives.

I'm currently using 8 of them to hold the front of my chest piece together.

Ventru is correct about the shearing forces. For that I've modified 2 Parachute clips to keep the chest piece from sliding/shearing. --AND-- When I split my Torso piece, I did not cut it in a straight line, I cut it with a zig zag type pattern. So far it has worked out PERFECTLY.

I plan on adding magnets to the Thighs, Back, Belt pouch and Hand Plates.

Cheers.

i would try to use as little magnets as possible if your going that route. Long term exposure to magnets can thin the blood and even cause some minor bloodclots. Since your body has iron in it and other metals that are from consuption it tend s to clot the blood. Be careful. other then that thats a great idea.

i would try to use as little magnets as possible if your going that route. Long term exposure to magnets can thin the blood and even cause some minor bloodclots. Since your body has iron in it and other metals that are from consuption it tend s to clot the blood. Be careful. other then that thats a great idea.

Do you have scientific proof for that?

Is there any evidence of this... I have been reading up on it and I'm finding more and more Theraputic uses with regards to magnets rather than the contrary.

This is also a good read with regards to Magnetic Fields and Human Health facts:
http://www.rareearth.org/magnets_health.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking of magnets... has anybody ever tried putting them inside a plasma grenade? That would be kind of cool... you could even line your armour with a little steel and play grenade-tag :)

I was thinking of using magnets for the weapon mounting, but chickened out because of the whole cell phone and being around electronics thing. And I know it can't happen, but I still get nightmares from that amazing stories program where the jock becomes magnetized.

I wanna point out your cell phone only contains flash memory media, no magnetic media. That means it's impervious to magnetic damage. Also, the human body does not contain enough ferromagnetic material to be affected by electromagnetism in any noticeable way. (That is, I can't say there is no effect. Everything affects everything it contacts in some way)

In any case, the earlier note about mechanical connection is correct. Almost no amount of magnetism can prevent shearing along the magnet's surface. You'd have to connect the pieces mechanically to prevent that.

As for weapons, if your weapon is made of great stuff and pepakura, using magnets should be strong enough against shearing, alone. Anything else, check out anything thin that causes a lot of friction, and put that over your magnets. Gotta be paper-thin, though, because any separation between the magnet and its target surface drops the strength of the field by magnitudes.

aye, ive been thinking of using magnets in the thighs and the back to attach props onto, like in H3. Also have been thinnking of using them to keep magazines in the weapons as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back