Tutorial: Using Bondo for Detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has no one mentioned to wear gloves?

Wear Gloves You Crazy Kids! Of course you can work it with your hands if you just wear gloves. I recommend latex (as they are cheap and disposable), or those mom's yellow kitchen gloves (which are also great for working resing when getting inside your armor. these gloves are nice because they protect almost up to your elbows, not just up to your wrist).

And yes..... resin first, then bondo, and ALWAYS wear a respirator. Always.

DJHicks said:
Being from the UK is it ok to use Davids P38 Body Filler? (easy sand)

thank you

As long as it's a form of body filler, use what ever you can get. :)

Easy sand would be better than the rock hard stuff that only seems to rip up sand paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you bondo plastic I made my helmet with pep than used smoothcast 320 to harden iti was thinking of fiberglassing it but can I just add more layers of plastic resin then use bondo or should I fiberglass the out side

From what i have learned with my Cardboard BR, dont use too much or little.

If you use too much, it's a pain to sand off, it's better with thinner layers which are all individually sanded.

Just a little tip, when trying to clean up the fibreglass and resin (which can create a disastrous mess) use brake fluid. The glass and resin comes of like nothing. Everything else I have tried doesn't work and you spend forever scrubbing and what not. Works like a charm!

Jambrough78 said:
can you put bondo on mdf wood?

You can apply Bondo to anything. Bondo is the super swiss army knife of plasic media. I recently used it to fill some gaps in my plywood floor before I had the carpet installed.

Quartermain3000 said:
You can apply Bondo to anything. Bondo is the super swiss army knife of plasic media. I recently used it to fill some gaps in my plywood floor before I had the carpet installed.

It can even be used for quick repairs to a race track like they did at the Daytona 500 :)

Ok heres my question. one, what does bondo DO exactly? two, what do i do after i cover the inside withit? three, how long do i let it set?

Erebus-666 said:
Ok heres my question. one, what does bondo DO exactly? two, what do i do after i cover the inside withit? three, how long do i let it set?

Well, you're not going to cover the inside with Bondo.

That's what the fiberglass is for.

Once you have the fiberglass on the inside, then you use the Bondo to fill in any gaps or imperfections. I have been sanding the cardstock off the fiberglass prior to using Bondo thus far, but I'd imagine it depends on the piece.

K just need to get one thing straight.

You can use bondo for smoothing and also for making a piece more detailed right?

Because my thigh, shin, crotch, and kinda chest aren't HD for pep and i want them HD Quality,

So would I use bondo for that kind of detailing?

HELL JUMPER said:
harleyb14 said:
how do you know where to sand? it covers all the details? sorry, just makes no sence to me, ive never done anything like this before. and if you sand it down back to the cardboard, wouldnt all that work be pointless? haha, im so confused. sorry

if there is a low spot in your piece that needs to be raised just a little higher or maybe the edges are too square bondo adds in the chunk that you need. in picture one it shows a low spot on my helmet...so in turn i need to raise it. in image 2 i spread on some bondo to fill it in....(mind you these pictures arent of the same point on the helmet). in image 3 the spot low spot that was filled in has now been sanded to the angle and shape i want it to have.....kinda like hard clay in a way. i shape it how i want it....get it? let me know or anyone else for that matter is more than willing to help.

S7000381.jpg

S7000380.jpg

S7000379.jpg

What I'm still confused about is where you know some details are. I haven't put together a helmet yet or anything, but I would imagine that the putty covers up the detail lines so you don't know where they are. Am I wrong?

Junior405th said:
K just need to get one thing straight.

You can use bondo for smoothing and also for making a piece more detailed right?

Because my thigh, shin, crotch, and kinda chest aren't HD for pep and i want them HD Quality,

So would I use bondo for that kind of detailing?

Bondo will help with that... Between sanding, detailing/dremelwork, bondo'ing... You'll be able to get HD quality pieces.

It's taking me some time to get used to working in 3 dimensions... But I think once I get used to it I can crank out HD quality looking work.

elkrisp said:
Bondo will help with that... Between sanding, detailing/dremelwork, bondo'ing... You'll be able to get HD quality pieces.

It's taking me some time to get used to working in 3 dimensions... But I think once I get used to it I can crank out HD quality looking work.

I guess what I'm confused about is not that the bondo will help bring out the details, but won't it cover up the crevices so you don't know where to really sand? Maybe this will be a lot easier whenever I get to that step so I have the helmet in front of me.

OXM_Chase said:
I guess what I'm confused about is not that the bondo will help bring out the details, but won't it cover up the crevices so you don't know where to really sand? Maybe this will be a lot easier whenever I get to that step so I have the helmet in front of me.

Use a spatula to scrape the bondo over the imperfection and fill up the cracks and crevices. You can also spray some grey primer to help see exactly where you need to apply it. I also use spot putty the same way which is a LIFE SAVER!

Good luck.

---Stonewall

So, I fiberglassed and resined my shoulder pieces. I also put bondo on the WHOLE shoulder piece. Was that how it is supposed to be done? or not? lol

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back