Complete Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO guide/FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it would be better to try to find an SD or just go with the cameo?

I really couldn't say, as I have yet to use either of them. I work with a big 52" plotter every day at work making signs. My Folks bought a cameo for x-mas to play around with at home since I can get a lot of free scrap vinyl from work. Using it for cutting out pep's is definitely a bonus tho, if your still debating which to get after x-mas i will let you know how the cameo worked out.

After reading and rereading this thread I bought a Silhouette SD. Now I have to wait patiently for the USPS to get it to my door. Thanks to everyone who has posted their tips and tricks here, you all are life and sanity savers!

Just wanted to confirm this xvang24.. these are the steps for getting the Silhouette Cameo to work with Pepakura Viewer for Craft Robo. I have one coming for x-mas and didn't realize it wouldn't work.

Yes, it's for the Cameo. Hmm.. dunno. I got it to work through CraftRobo the night of installation, now it's coming up as "Silhouette Cameo Controller not installed", again.

I'll play around with it some more and update you.

Yes, it's for the Cameo. Hmm.. dunno. I got it to work through CraftRobo the night of installation, now it's coming up as "Silhouette Cameo Controller not installed", again.

I'll play around with it some more and update you.

Thanks,

Anyway goodluck, if you haven't figured it out by the time mine gets here I'll try to lend you a hand.

After reading and rereading this thread I bought a Silhouette SD. Now I have to wait patiently for the USPS to get it to my door. Thanks to everyone who has posted their tips and tricks here, you all are life and sanity savers!

Where did you find the SD?

Where did you find the SD?

eBay, but someone tried to poach and I ended up paying almost $50 more than when I originally bid... My adivce is to scour eveything related to CraftROBO or Silhouette SD until you find what you want.

I have a work around for using the cameo to print/cut pep files, so if you bought one assuming it would work with Pepakura Viewer for CraftRobo don't fret. It requires a little more work than the sd did, but you don't need to buy the license for Pepakura Viewer for CraftRobo. I'll put up a guide detailing the steps shortly.

Here's my guide, haven't gotten my cameo in just yet but I'm 98% sure this will work.

Got my silhouette in the other day and I am having issues getting it to work right... Keeps saying "Cannot find information about Craft ROBO Controller". I have installed all the updated drivers, even tried the outdated ones just to cover my bases. I'd appreciate any help I can get... otherwise it looks like I will have to convert the files I laid out into JPEGs and go through the whole process again. The downside to this is I'd have to do all the scoring by hand... The good news is it cuts through on the first time, so that will save some time......

Got my silhouette in the other day and I am having issues getting it to work right... Keeps saying "Cannot find information about Craft ROBO Controller". I have installed all the updated drivers, even tried the outdated ones just to cover my bases. I'd appreciate any help I can get... otherwise it looks like I will have to convert the files I laid out into JPEGs and go through the whole process again. The downside to this is I'd have to do all the scoring by hand... The good news is it cuts through on the first time, so that will save some time......

I can't help you with the CraftROBO Controller, but I wouldn't convert it to jpegs. In the post above your last one I linked a guide i made for cutting with the cameo that should give you a much easier time by converting to .DXF.

I can't help you with the CraftROBO Controller, but I wouldn't convert it to jpegs. In the post above your last one I linked a guide i made for cutting with the cameo that should give you a much easier time by converting to .DXF.

Thanks, I will have to give that a try. Not like I don't have time while watching computers on the graveyard shift ;-)

Other than my computer keeps freezing when importing the .dxf file into Silhouette Suite, nope. The instructions are very easy to follow, and having the screen shots really helps. Thanks!!!!!

Yeah that Silhouette Studio program doesn't seem like it was designed to handle such complex and large vector stuff. If you have access to (or know where to find) Adobe Illustrator, you can import the .dxf in there and break it into individual pages which should alleviate the freezing.

Yeah that Silhouette Studio program doesn't seem like it was designed to handle such complex and large vector stuff. If you have access to (or know where to find) Adobe Illustrator, you can import the .dxf in there and break it into individual pages which should alleviate the freezing.

Hey gsn721, Can you provide us a detail and maybe pictures of how to break up the pages? I've never used it Adobe Illustrator before.

Thanks in advance.

Hey gsn721, Can you provide us a detail and maybe pictures of how to break up the pages? I've never used it Adobe Illustrator before.

It's very easy. Once you open the vector image in Illustrator, just select the pieces you want and copy. Be careful that you select the entire part as it will cause issues later on if you are missing a path or intersection. Once you have copied the pieces open a new file, label it (armor name) page (#) this way you know what you are working on. I recommend that you follow how everything is laid out in the Pepakura Viewer/Designer so you know where you are at. With your new file open, paste the copied image onto the page. The last step is to export the image into what ever file format you want. I had issues with opening the individual .dxf pages in Silhouette Suite so I exported as .jpg and used the trace feature. If you find that you are having the same issue, PM me and I will detail what I have been doing and it seems to be working alright. Good luck!

Thanks in advance.

I spoke too soon when I recommended Illustrator, After playing with it for awhile I could never get it to scale right when importing a .dxf. It does however import .eps files at the right scale. The 100% best option is to get a hold of a program called Flexi Sign. The company that makes it charges some absurd price for it, so I would try to find it by other means. I work at a sign shop, so that's where I got my start with the program, I'm using 8.1 i think. But it will work the best for this, I'll throw up a guide tomorrow night when I have some free time.

Heres a quick guide, and I also uploaded the Single Page i made you could test it to see if it freezes up you PC.
Guide for Breaking up Pages in Flexi
Single Page Studio File

I spoke too soon when I recommended Illustrator, After playing with it for awhile I could never get it to scale right when importing a .dxf. It does however import .eps files at the right scale.

I had this issue, but when I set up my files I set the measurement to "Scale by 100%" with the scale being 1 unit = 1mm. You can change this when you initially open the .dxf file. When exporting I kept the same thing, all measurements done in millimeters. It might take a few times, but I eventually got it right. If you are going to export as a .jpg, make sure to keep the same measurements since Silhouette Suite is rather picky about what it works with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back