Mark VI WIP Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alas finding time to work on it is always a problem :)

Tell me about it. I wish i could allocate more time but life tends to get in the way hehe.

About the Silhouette, i think its a briliant idea! But i keep telling myself that pepping is a cheap process that saves me money for other things.

How easy is that chavant to work with. I went to my local art store and bought some medium roma plastline. They didnt have anything there called chavant. Are they the same thing?

woah! love the paper cutter! i feel you on the issue of scraps of paper everywhere. out of curiosity, how does that cutter handle the more detailed parts with tiny or overlapped tabs and such?

The Chavant is easy to work with for the most part. We take half medium and half hard and throw it in a metal mixing bowl over a pot of hot water to soften it up. Make sure when you're looking at clay that it is 100% sulfur free since the sulfur will destroy the silicone for mold making.

The paper cutter gets very detailed. Sometimes it will be off the line by a very small margin but overall the accuracy is really spot on.

The Chavant is easy to work with for the most part. We take half medium and half hard and throw it in a metal mixing bowl over a pot of hot water to soften it up. Make sure when you're looking at clay that it is 100% sulfur free since the sulfur will destroy the silicone for mold making.

This "Chavant" stuff...is it easily sandable?
And do you put the clay in the hot water or over the hot water?

This "Chavant" stuff...is it easily sandable?
And do you put the clay in the hot water or over the hot water?
There's no sanding involved, you work with clay tools. Chavant is oil based clay, the purpose of which is not harden. This helmet we're making is not made to be worn as is, but rather be the master to create a mold for casting. To heat the clay you use the same method as melting chocolate; boil a pot of water, remove from heat. Place a mixing bowl onto of the pot of hot water and place contents into the bowl. The heat from the water heats the bowl which in turn delivers even and controlled heating to whatever you have in there. Now you can make helmets and Fondue! Just dont mix the bowls up =/

Neck detail added;
neck.jpg

Oh, I am loving the clay-over-pep method! I can't wait to try it out myself! Hadn't previously considered mixing the hard with the medium, but now I think it's something I'll have to try. You're doing a great job, keep it up!

There's no sanding involved, you work with clay tools. Chavant is oil based clay, the purpose of which is not harden. This helmet we're making is not made to be worn as is, but rather be the master to create a mold for casting.

But could you use the master as a wearable helmet if you wanted to, or does the clay affect that?

It's clay man, It'll break. It'd be better to mold it, then you'd have a solid copy of this great helmet.

It's clay man, It'll break. It'd be better to mold it, then you'd have a solid copy of this great helmet.
Exactly. This is oil based clay, the purpose of which is not to fire and as such if you left it as is every time you touched the helmet with a little force you would be leaving marks all over it. Moreover, even with ceramic clay, it is on top of a resin'ed and rondo'ed helmet and the heat required to fire it hard would certainly have interesting effects on the resin...i.e. lots of flames.

Oh, I am loving the clay-over-pep method! I can't wait to try it out myself! Hadn't previously considered mixing the hard with the medium, but now I think it's something I'll have to try. You're doing a great job, keep it up!
Thanks Kat, your Samus build certainly was part of the inspiration for us to give clay a try!

Slight update. The helm has been smoothed and is ready for the molding process as soon as we can afford some Rebound. Progress pics as they happen!

Would it be alright if I pm'd you to ask about techniques in using clay?

Have never done it before

Very cool build. I love the clay over pep Idea. The detail looks great. Funny, I just picked up some clay today (Van Aken Plastalina/Oil Based/Sulfur free), I wanted to experiment with making some of the helmet attachments first, and then move on to helmets.
P.S. I definitely will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back