Scaling Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellvex

Hello everyone!!! I know you don't know me but I've been around for long. I actually made a Mark VI armor but due to my work and studies I haven't been able to post or commit to this beautiful forum:p but now I have some free time and I want to contribute to the community.

I have noticed that a common problem for every beginner is the scaling so I propose a solution so that the pros don't get constantly bothered with the same question: "How to scale my armor?" I have also had this problem so I came up with a solution.

My proposal consists of making this thread a "Scaling Resources Thread". I have looked through almost every single scaling post in this forum and I gathered some interesting stuff.

I seem to have a problem with picture uploading but as soon as I'm able I'll upload pics.

MAIN SCALING METHOD

I think that almost everyone here has found that Xtreme TACTICS method is the most efficient so I'm posting the link:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2?highlight=tutorial

Also the link to the program developed by Mroreo123:

http://http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/18075-Mroreo123's-Armor-Scaling-And-Measurement-Tool

This tool is uses the same method of XtremeTACTICS but makes it easier.

Thanks a lot to both creators.

Along with this method I would like to make some suggestions, taking into account you have already read the method:

-If you are making a symmetrical armor (like the Mark VI where thighs, forearms, shoulders, hands and feet are the same in both arms and legs), just measure the piece that looks more straight.
-If you don't know which piece is the best because both look straight, do the maths with both and then take the average of both.
-As Xtreme mentions, if you are to short or to tall this method may not work with your helmet or other pieces, for those I suggest Method #2 which I will explain later.
-Before printing check the measurements of the piece in the scale options, visualize the measurements of the piece in your body and with the ruler fast check if it approaches the right size. Example: you take the shoulder which is 320mm in height, visualize where the shoulder piece starts in your arm (standing in front of a mirror is recommended) and measure, if this approaches what it should look like then you are going the right way. This is just a quick, rough measuring, it doesn't mean you are completely right, it means you are close and you are not extremely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
METHOD #2: This is actually measuring your body parts piece by piece.

-Identify where the piece is located in your body. Ex: look where the forearm of the armor starts and where it ends, use a pen to draw a mark in your body, this way you can visualize the size you want it to be, go into the scaling options and change the measure in millimeters, measuring the height of the piece is usually the best way to go.
-Having a buddy, mate, friend, cell mate, loved one, or anyone that can help you is the best way to do it. You don't have the same perspective of your body as someone else would. If you are alone I recommend doing this i front of a full body mirror.
-This is similar to Xtreme's method but you wont base the measures on the reference photo, although you will still need it to get the right location for the pieces, you will be your main reference.
-This one is a little bit harder and I recommend trying Xtreme's method first or go directly to the Method #3.
-This is really helpful if you got a piece wrong with Xtreme's method.

METHOD #3 (The Ultimate Scaling Method)

With this method is almost a guarantee you will have it right in one shot (if done right), this will also make scaling easier for any other armor in the future. This way you save on printer ink, paper, time and effort.

No more try and error trials, but be patient and persevere.

This method is not extremely hard, but it's a lot of work. I developed this method using Xtreme's Method, Mr Oreo123 software or similar are optional but highly recommended. I also based on the method posted by Hugh Holder in this thread:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28177-how-do-i-sacle-armor-to-fit-my-body?highlight=tutorial (Scroll down a little)

With all these and with the help from a Design Professor in college I developed this scaling method.

I will explain it step by step, every step will have a list of what you need.

FIRST:

-Measuring tape (I don't remember the right name but its the one that tailors use)
-somewhere to write down your measurements

This consists of getting the main measures of your body. I highly recommend asking for help in this step, it's always easier an more precise. If you don't know the measuring business, google it, there you will find how to make a right measuring of your body parts.
If you are not completely confident with the measures, repeat at least 3 times for each body part and find out the average.

SECOND:

-Computer
-Previously taken measures
-Google
-3D modeling software or any software where you can create custom dummies or human shapes

Using a 3D software and your body measurements you will need to create a dummy according to your body. Look for the right software or the right method in google or in this forums.
Your dummy must be completely straight with the arms extended in a 45° angle or with the arms in a resting position extended at the sides of your hips.

THIRD:

-Photoshop or similar
-3D modeling software or pepakura viewer
-Mroreo123 software(link above)
or
-Printer, ruler, calculator, pencil for Xtreme's Method (link above)

Once you have your 3D model or shape you have to position it so that it is watching to you, take a screen picture or export as a jpeg file (depends on the software). If your dummy has the arms completely vertical in the resting position, take a screen pic or export in jpeg, but this time you must be looking your dummy from the side. If your dummy has the arms in a 45° angle then position the screen so you are watching the arm completely straight (If the arm hs a 45° angle you should be looking it from a 135° angle perspective)

I wont get into so much detail with Photoshop here cause I assume must of all knows how to use the basics (layers, guides, etc). If you don't know how to, look for a quick basics tutorial in Google. It should take like 10 minutes to learn everything you need to know for this.

Import your pictures to Photoshop (independent layers) and align them by the side. Use guide lines and/or grid to align them correctly. If they are not the same size, Resize one of them to be the same height as the other (Ctrl T + Hold Shift)

Run Pepakura viewer or 3D software. You will take each piece and take screenshots (or import as jpeg depending on the software). You have to position the pieces so that you are seeing the true magnitude of the piece's height.

Once you have all these pics, you will import them to Photoshop. Each piece should be an independent layer. Using different opacity for the dummy and the armor pieces place each one over your dummy in the right position. It is quite easy to assemble. You can use a reference picture of the armor you are making although you don't need it to be completely straight, it can be an action shot but you need to have a clear look of the piece you want. The reference picture is not really needed cause we all know how our armor should look like.
This step is like those weird dress-up games.

Once your dummy is all dressed up save as jpeg. Don't erase the Photoshop archive cause it will be useful whenever you want to do any other armor.

FOURTH:

Here it basically becomes the same method as Xtreme's but now the reference picture is exactly your size and in perfect position. this way the possibility of mistake is drastically reduced.

Here you can choose Xtreme's clasic method (Link upstairs). For this you'll need:

-Printer
-Pencil
-Ruler
-Calculator

Or you can use Mroreo123's software (Link also upstairs)

Follow the same suggestions as Method #1

I know this is quite a lot of work but done right it could take only a day or two.
If this is your first time building an armor I strongly recommend Method #3. If you choose this one you'll probably print only once and any future project will be easier to scale an more precise.

Also think that this is your first one and if you rush it you'll probably ruin it or get it wrong. A lot of people has said it: "It will take you months to make your first armor, don't rush it"

Scaling as any other step in the process (folding, painting, detailing, etc.) requires a lot of patience.

I know not everyone knows how to use some of the software I mentioned. I suggest finding tutorials on Google, the use we give to the programs is very basic so it shouldn't take more than half an hour to know the basics. Or you can ask for help to any friend that knows how to.

For the younglings I suggest taking into account that you are growing and you will keep on growing during the building process so add a few extra centimeters according to your growing rate.

Well that is basically it. But this is a forum so if everyone contributes we won't have any major scaling issues anymore.

-For Xtreme's method post the pictures you used as reference, your height, and the scale factor you got. This way if someone else is trying to do the same armor and is the same height he can just look for the scale in this thread and wont have to do the whole process. Knowing your body type (skinny, regular, chubby, etc) would also help but posting that info is up to you.

-For Method #3 do the same. Post your dummy pics with measurements info. This will also help others.

-I'm sure Method #3 works for men and women, but must of the armors are based on male characters. So please female members, if you have a good scaling method for women please feel free to post it.

-Every time you use any of this methods post if it work and how well it did.

-Any new developments and/or findings in scaling procedures please post them here, don't create a new thread this way it will be easier for everyone.

-For all the new ones, if you have any question post it in this thread or send me a private message and I'll try to answer. For all the veterans please feel free to answer any question you think you can clarify.

-If you have any useful contribution or correction please post or PM me

-KEEP IT CLEAN (my inbox) no rude messages please those I will ignore and erase.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26285-All-in-One-Halo-Pepakura-Pack?highlight=collection

This link will take you to HeavyGunner's armor collection thread. Pretty useful, thanks Heavy

That should be all for now, I'll upload the example pictures later.

Let's all contribute 405th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back