New Here And Looking For Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc of Flames

Hey everyone.. names Doc and I need your help. For nearly 4 years now I have been wanting to make my own ODST armor but have never had the time nor the resources due to being a firefighter. Not that its a bad thing at all, i'm proud of my job but it really cuts any spare time I have in half. But unfortunately I had a knee injury that is keeping my off the jobfor the next 4 months and then after that I am going into the Navy as a FMF Corpsman. For those of you who do not know what an FMF Corpsman is ( And don't feel bad because I didn't either 2 years ago) an FMF Corpsman is a Navy medic assigned to Marine Corps units to be their medics on the battlefield. But I digress, what I really need is some advice on a good way to get started on next to no money for any real good solid materials at the moment. Any advice or help you can loan is greatly appreciated and welcome no matter what it is. Thanks guys.

Hey Doc Welcome to the forums! :) i will try to help you out as much as posible but i will not go into details :p if you need details you should do some research on the Section of the project that you are working on at the time anyways here is a list of what steps to take:

The fiberglassing and Resin Method: will cost roughly 300 Dollars or somwhere around thoes lines, for a whole suit which is probobly one of the easyest and cheapest ways of making your own Prop armour :) Here are the basic steps to making it :

now on to the process of making it, you download the program called Pepikura, link here: http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
dowload *Designer not Veiwer, you will not be able to scale your helmate to fit you if you get viewer **(note it will mention that you need a passcode for it, this is not true, you can use it without a passcode, however if you make adjustments to the file you will be unable to save your
progress)

after you get the program you than can go to this website to get the Suit files if you look around the 405th forums you can find some that are also not listed on the website: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index

before you just dive right in you need to size the suit to your size, for this i recomend you go to this thread, it is very helpful and easy to understand
smile.png
: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...aling+Tutorial

the only thing about scaling the armour, is that the 2D peices will no longer fit on a normal page so you must move the peices around so they will fit on the pages :p

you than print the peices out on Heavy weight Cardstock (a thick, Speical type of paper)

you cut out the 2d peices, fold, glue and follow the template for peiceing them together.

you will then resin the Fully pepekured Section or Peice of armour once on the inside and outside.

you will than go and fiberglass the inside of the suit *NOT OUTSIDE*

after this is done you can apply the bondo body filler to the outside of the suit to buff and add details

after this is done you will use a painting technique, depends on what kind of style you want your suits color scheme to be

and after it is all painted and made to your standards than you add all the Misc. on it like lights

like i said this is probobly the quickest way, and cheapest way to make a suit, but it still requires patience :p like i said, this is just the steps to take, browse the forums for the spacifics on the steps :) i hoped my info helped :D good luck on your build

//Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Doc of Flames. I too was a FF in between two stints as an FMF Doc. Retirement around the corner. PM me.There is great info on here. The stickies on the Noob Forums are a great place to start. I enjoy Ben Streeber's videos as well as Ithaca. They both are informatove and great craftsman and teachers of the craft. But there are so many others I can't mention. It is a lot of reading, but it is well worth the time if you dont want to waste your time. Everytime I read a new thread there is another tidbit that stirs the mind. Have fun.

you than print the peices out on Heavy weight Cardstock (a thick, Speical type of paper)

you cut out the 2d peices, fold, glue and follow the template for peiceing them together.

you will then resin the Fully pepekured Section or Peice of armour once on the inside and outside.

you will than go and fiberglass the inside of the suit *NOT OUTSIDE*

after this is done you can apply the bondo body filler to the outside of the suit to buff and add details

after this is done you will use a painting technique, depends on what kind of style you want your suits color scheme to be

and after it is all painted and made to your standards than you add all the Misc. on it like lights

like i said this is probobly the quickest way, and cheapest way to make a suit, but it still requires patience :p like i said, this is just the steps to take, browse the forums for the spacifics on the steps :) i hoped my info helped :D good luck on your build

//Jeremy

That's a really nice cut n' dry overview of the process, thanks for posting that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back