Mk 6 suit part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, that picture with the large helmet is awesome... And what's even funnier, I have one that looks exactly like it :-D

It's also interesting how you you have such constant quality in your pepping.

That Silhouette SD is a GODSEND!! I went from nothing to fully pepped helmet in 6 hours.

Your helmet looks far too big. How did you decide on the size?

The helmet looks big in the picture because it's sitting low on my head. On my first helmet, I didn't take consideration the hight of the padding when I scaled it, and so it sat on my head WAY too high. So once there's 2" of padding on the inside, it will sit on my head about right.

In addition, I didn't have ANY room to work in the old helmet, nor would I have dared to puts fans in. Plus, it helps a little with my claustrophobia. It's not bad, but making the helmet bigger will make me a little more comfortable.

EDIT: Update: Working on the chest piece now. Spent all afternoon watching House and cutting out the pieces. I started assembly about 4 hours ago, and I am still working on the explosion on parts all over my desk. Speaking of which, never sneeze when you have this many pieces lying loose. I wound up in a snowstorm of pepakura pieces.

DSCF0419.jpg

DSCF0420.jpg

In the proces of making edward elrics automail arm from FMA to star off with something simple to do with pepakura, so i will try and remember not to sneezewhen cuting the pieces out.

Spent all afternoon watching House and cutting out the pieces.
Haha I have been doing the exact same thing recently while working on my Jorge. I'm currently halfway through season 5 :D

Also this suit is looking very good so far! Top notch work, keep it up!
Have you thought about what you are going to do for the undersuit yet?

Haha I have been doing the exact same thing recently while working on my Jorge. I'm currently halfway through season 5 :D

Also this suit is looking very good so far! Top notch work, keep it up!
Have you thought about what you are going to do for the undersuit yet?

Finished up Season 5 last night. Started over on season 1.

As far as the undersuit I'm gonna wear some Under Armor knock-off's for the time being. Not really authentic, but it does get the job done. Once I get the armor hardened, I'm gonna go invade Joan's and search for a good material, and then go nuts on the sewing machine.

And after 20 hours, I got the chest done. WOOT!!!!

And I discovered than my forearms are WAY too small. Wonderful. More pepping to do.

DSCF0430.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

DSCF0431.jpg

Looks great! I just printed out all my pages for the same torso (no Silhouette, blah) and I hope it comes out as well as yours did. Try it out! :p

Just to tell you that it is possible to edit post, you have to "Go Advanced" and then edit your post then save. Hope that helps.

What I'm doing with my suit is making the left hand side first, and writing down the sizing details, then I'm going to redo them if they're mis-sized. This way I havn't used too much paper making two of the wrong thing.

Armous looking great BTW, I think I'm going to have to move inside and start watching Star Gate soon <_<

Well, no photos, but a small update.

After resining just about everything, I have come to the conclusion that the first helmet isn't quite right. It's a nice model, and was pretty easy to pep, but it just isn't doing it for me. So I'm going to try a different helmet. Which also means I need to pick up more cardstock. Plus I need to build up another set of gauntlets.

And finals are next week (gag), so work on the suit is going to take a momentary hiatus, and it will pick back up, assuming I survive next Monday. I have 3, count them, 3 finals on Monday. Calculus 3, Western History, and Into to Computer Science. I'm pretty sure my wrist will fail half way through Western History, and then my head will explode shortly after starting Intro to CS.

Why don't you take that new helmet with you, to take a break every now and then and assemble a few pieces? Might help you stay relaxed :)

Why don't you take that new helmet with you, to take a break every now and then and assemble a few pieces? Might help you stay relaxed :)

Because it's rather difficult to find a power outlet in the middle of a massive lecture hall. Hot glue doesn't flow so well when it's cold.

Hickeydog:

I have a question. Because you do not use Styrofoam glue instead of hot glue? The results is better and cleaner. Well, I say this based on my experience with assembling paper models. I hope not to have been intruded.

Hickeydog:

I have a question. Because you do not use Styrofoam glue instead of hot glue? The results is better and cleaner. Well, I say this based on my experience with assembling paper models. I hope not to have been intruded.

I've never head of Styrofoam glue before...might have to check it out.

Anyways, finals are next week (gag), so this weekend is going to be spent studying Calc 3(double gag) and History (triple gag). But, come Tuesday, I'm free. FREE I TELL YOU!!!! FREE!!!!!MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Free to build and pep. I'm going to re-do the helmet and the forearms. The first forearms were too small, and I wan't satisfied with the helmet. There was just something off about it. So I'll be be making another one.

Also, I discovered today that the local ski resort is having a Winter Festival, and part of that is a costume contest.....only requirement for entry is that you must be able to ski or snowboard. I snowblade (think really short skis), so come late March, I'll be suiting up and hitting the slopes. I plan on taking my shins from my first build and cutting them about mid way up, so I can get my ski boots on. Should be interesting....hurling down the slopes with 50lbs word of armor....

Also, I discovered today that the local ski resort is having a Winter Festival, and part of that is a costume contest.....only requirement for entry is that you must be able to ski or snowboard. I snowblade (think really short skis), so come late March, I'll be suiting up and hitting the slopes. I plan on taking my shins from my first build and cutting them about mid way up, so I can get my ski boots on. Should be interesting....hurling down the slopes with 50lbs word of armor....

Ooooh....that sounds like fun!

Take pictures! :)

Ooooh....that sounds like fun!

Take pictures! :)

There will be pictures. And videos. And sacrifices to the Great Adam.

Anyways, I was bored, so I built up another helmet...My first one was nearly perfect. Only a few gaps and no warpage. Only problem is that is wasn't as detailed as I was hoping for, so I built up another one. This one has some slight warpage, and some pretty major gaps in the pep work....eh....I dunno. Maybe I'll just build both of them up.

First helmet is on the left.

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

Good model man !
Haha, i',m a great idiot; I have not calculated the size of the pieces and folds before printing, and look what happened. It was very difficult to assemble. Some parts have less than 2 mm o_O

(see the result with adhesive foam. very clean and easy to use, spray it with your finger)

Ah ! This is the inspiration and where I picked out the model. (Starcraft 2 - Spectre)

I have a Silhouette Sd Digital Cutter and while I agree that it is blazing fast (compared to cutting by hand) I'm not crazy about it. I've cut and scored by hand and used the cutter and I prefer the cutter. The carrier sheets are expensive, hey don't last that long, they can only be washed and reused a couple of times and when the page slips on the carrier sheet it makes the pep harder to assemble. I've also found that hand scored sheets (using a pen and ruler) fold cleaner than machine scored/perforated fold lines. Just my $0.10 worth. Great work on the model!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back