Foam Armoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i have some noobish questions about the foam armor, the thing is no noob forum lol. but i cant seem to cut it at an angle without gettinga a bad angle and or those catch tear like spots, i was wondering if u had n e advice on how to do that, also im trying to build the helmet out of foam, i have the neck brace and most of the frame done but i cant seem to get a top started... would u have n e advice? thanks for the videos though, never would of thought of foam .

Alright, thanks man. I think your link is broken, though.

Ugh, either my computer is messed up, or the edit feature is broken. :/

Anyways, nevermind. I just copied the link and pasted it into my browser. It's looking good. I'll keep tabs on your thread so can see how you progress and learn from what you do.

It kind of makes me want to start right now. Too bad I'm short of money. :( Being a kid has it's downfalls.

How many packs do some of you foamies think it will take to make a complete ODST armor set? I'm using mainly Kirrou's HD files based off the WETA ODST I believe, and a few other files I found lying around. Also while I am on the subject of ODST, are there any ODST Visor tutorials?

Well it really shouldnt take more than 4 packs, which would be 16 sheets.
Ben actually released a video on how to vac form an ODST visor in his other thread towards the later pages:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish

Well it really shouldnt take more than 4 packs, which would be 16 sheets.
Ben actually released a video on how to vac form an ODST visor in his other thread towards the later pages:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish

Thanks a lot. I'll search the thread for the visor.

EDIT: Alright. I found the video, but that process seems fairly expensive and a hassle for a teenage kid to perform. I read that Sean Bradley sold some of them fairly cheap, do you think he still does? If not, I may have to improvise for a while, until I can afford the materials for it.

Thanks a lot. I'll search the thread for the visor.

EDIT: Alright. I found the video, but that process seems fairly expensive and a hassle for a teenage kid to perform. I read that Sean Bradley sold some of them fairly cheap, do you think he still does? If not, I may have to improvise for a while, until I can afford the materials for it.
here's a link to how to make an odst visor
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26508-Halo-3-ODST-Visors?highlight=zakuace+odst+visor

Ugh, either my computer is messed up, or the edit feature is broken. :/

Anyways, nevermind. I just copied the link and pasted it into my browser. It's looking good. I'll keep tabs on your thread so can see how you progress and learn from what you do.

It kind of makes me want to start right now. Too bad I'm short of money. :( Being a kid has it's downfalls.

yea i dunno it was having a spaz attack whenever i try to edit stuff. and it spazzed out when i was putting in the hyper link

I just came across this - I think it would be fantastic for putting together kids' halo costumes. It's relatively cheap, looks fairly simple, and if they grow out of it, I think it could be adjusted over time.

I think this is pretty epic.. and i am going to start on my.. as soon as more tutorial video is up. My main question is how to smooth out the gaps and details of foam before painting it... it would be great if someone can let me know, ^^

i'm not sure about the gaps, (More hot glue maybe or a gap filler like Selleys 'no more gaps' ? (do they have Selleys in the US?)) but the foam is fairly easily sanded, surprisingly easily, I've found, if that is any help.

i'm not sure about the gaps, (More hot glue maybe or a gap filler like Selleys 'no more gaps' ? (do they have Selleys in the US?)) but the foam is fairly easily sanded, surprisingly easily, I've found, if that is any help.
Working on this stuff with a Dremel is a dream. You can do all kinds of nice detail work. You can also get a nice set of detailing bits for the Dremel at Menards for $5.

I did a test yesterday where I sanded(220 grit) half of a section of foam and left the other half raw. The raw half looks much better than the sanded half. It seemed like the sanded half absorbed a lot more of the Plasti-Dip primer I used than the unsanded half. The gloss Red Pepper Krylon Fusion I used also appeared much more matte on the sanded side. So it seems like you want to sand as little as possible if you are planning on painting the foam directly with only a Plasti-Dip primer and want a shinier finish. Also, on larger pieces, when you bend them in half, the foam returns to its original shape and there was no cracking of the paint but the Plasti-Dip surface with the paint will form wrinkles. Neat texturing effect but not so cool if it was an armor piece. Of course, this was an intentional and exaggerated test to see how the paint and primer reacted. In a regular bump/scrape, unless you squashed really hard(say you tripped and fell), I do not think it would be noticeable.

Has anybody tried using the Krylon Fusion spray paints on the foam? I only had q dark grey around so it is hard to see how well it worked. It seemed to have the same wrinkling effect as you described with plasti-dip and paint but only under extreme bending and rubbing. The paint is for "hard to adhere" surfaces and seems promising. I'm going to pick up some other colors after work today to test them out but I wanted to see if anyone here had tried them yet. First post here btw, been reading for awhile now thought I'd join the ranks!

Has anybody tried using the Krylon Fusion spray paints on the foam?
All of my tests have been with a Plasti-Dip primer with Krylon Fusion. However, I have only been priming one side of the foam. The edges of the foam certainly catch some of the overspray and it does not seem to come off by rubbing it with my finger or scratching at it with a finger nail.

The guy used mod podge to coat the outside of the foam before painting... could this work? Or would it make the foam too stiff...?
It sounds like they are using it over at the Replica Prop Forum for the foam Iron Man builds going on. They are also using a much lighter, open cell foam from Walmart camping pads. I see no reason why it would not work the same. Armor is supposed to be somewhat rigid. Mod Podge is kind of pricey though. I have only seen 16oz containers at Hobby Lobby for $7+tax. You can get 3 lbs of Foam Coat, which seems like nearly the same thing, for $10 online. Also, that is 3lbs dry weight vs 16oz wet weight, so you are getting even more for your money. I am still waiting for my Foam Coat to get here for testing.

Note: I do not recommend Walmart camping pads for foam material, especially if you plan on cutting it with a hot knife. When it melts, it produces toxic fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back