Mission Objective: Create Halo Armor by Next Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameOver

OK so I just read about this pep armor about 2 weeks ago, did my research on it, and jumped right in and bought a 250 pack of cardstock 3 days ago. After one fully pep'd helmet thats a hair too small, I finished my 2nd helmet that seems like its going to fit just fine. Im going to start on the chest piece this week, but im still learning about scaling, so if anyone has any suggestions im 6'2" and weigh 130 pounds (yes quite a bit on the skinny side). Being tall and skinny, I'm hoping I can find a way to scale this armor properly the first time, since making the helmet was fun, but remaking the helmet after i made it too small wasnt fun! lol

Both Helmets:
IMG_2590.jpg

Front shot of fitting helmet:
Halo_Helmet6.jpg

Profile shot of fitting helmet:
Halo_Helmet7.jpg

Any feedback is good feedback!

You built that without the numbers????

You can put numbers on the flaps and edges to help match up pieces. Go to 2D Menu in Pepakura Designer and select " show edge ID". It will make assembly MUCH easier.

That aside, your pep work looks fantastic.

For scaling the chest, measure from the bottom of your rib cage to the top of your shoulder, and then add 10cm to 15cm.

I am incredibly impressed by the fact that you hadn't used numbers for it though haha.
I really want to know how long it took him to do that without numbers...and I also want to know just how many hours of Halo he's logged on his console to be able to assemble a Pepakura helmet without directions, haha... That's impressive.

It looks really good. I actually prefer not to have numbers it makes me line up the pieces better and slow down, its comes out better for me anyway.

It looks really good. I actually prefer not to have numbers it makes me line up the pieces better and slow down, its comes out better for me anyway.

Pardon the noobish question... When you're assembling, do you typically glue one tab at a time? I assembled a piece tonight using standard paper and simple clear glue and found that gluing more than one tab was not easy by the end...

Pardon the noobish question... When you're assembling, do you typically glue one tab at a time? I assembled a piece tonight using standard paper and simple clear glue and found that gluing more than one tab was not easy by the end...

Well It really depends on the piece but yes I myself glue one tab at a time and make sure it lines up perfect then move on to the next tab.

Well It really depends on the piece but yes I myself glue one tab at a time and make sure it lines up perfect then move on to the next tab.

I figured as much... Do you refer back to the model in Papakura for placement or is there another option available?

I figured as much... Do you refer back to the model in Papakura for placement or is there another option available?

Yes when there is no number i refer back all the time to what goes where. As my picture shows (quick sketch) make sure that your corners are even and are not further than the other one.

1003102306.jpg

You built that without the numbers????

You can put numbers on the flaps and edges to help match up pieces. Go to 2D Menu in Pepakura Designer and select " show edge ID". It will make assembly MUCH easier.

That aside, your pep work looks fantastic.

For scaling the chest, measure from the bottom of your rib cage to the top of your shoulder, and then add 10cm to 15cm.

I was aware of being able to turn on edge ID but chose not to use it. I just sat here in front of my monitor with a X-acto knife, metal ruler, blue and red pen, and a hot glue gun with some hot glue. Thanks for the advice on the scaling! hopefully that will save me time of having to do two chest pieces like i had to do 2 helmets! haha

I really want to know how long it took him to do that without numbers...and I also want to know just how many hours of Halo he's logged on his console to be able to assemble a Pepakura helmet without directions, haha... That's impressive.

The first helm (too small one) took me about 4-5 hours. The second helm took me about 6 hours because i was a tad bit more patient with the hot glue drying and I was rather happy I messed up on scaling my first helm cuz it gave me practice, and a few hints on how to get the helmet even more perfect for my correctly scaled one.

Also, im not a huge halo fan. Was a HUGE Original halo fan, LAN parties and all that fun stuff. played both halo 2 and 3, and tried out ODST and Halo wars. Just recently beat Reach, and right after I beat it my xbox broke.... bad luck I guess. So actually I havent put all that much time into my Halo playing since the original. I really love the master chief's suit, and ever since i got the Halo 3 Legendary package, with the lame helm u can barley fit on your cat, I have always wanted to have my own halo helm. Didnt even realize it was possible till about 2 weeks ago, now its my mission to finish this armor by next years halloween.

Only one thing stands in my way, lol and thats money! haha, being a college student on my own, i dont have much to waste on stuff like costumes. So ill most likely have to do it each little bit at the time. Good thing a package of cardstock is only 15 bucks! haha!

Ok i know im new to this, only have done two helmets, but i suggest for the most part only doing one tab at a time. That way u have time to fully line up the edge, and make sure its possitivly affecting all the bends around it, cuz one wrong glue could make a seriously ugly kink in your gear. But there are situations where glueing a few tabs at a time might make it easier, but thats up to your judgement and experience.

Well I finished my Thigh pieces earlier today, finally got time to post some images.

Outter side view:
IMG_2593.jpg

Front View (accidently put them on the wrong sides, the right is left and vice versa, lol):
IMG_2594.jpg

Inner side view:
IMG_2595.jpg

Back View (actually got them on the right side for this shot!):
IMG_2596.jpg

So Now onto doing the shin armor's. Im not sure if I was supposed to load updated pics into the new post, or edit my old post so i just did it this way for now. Still new to the site, so if im doing it wrong, please tell me and ill be more then happy to fix it! Im getting more excited about this project with each piece of armor i complete, and i honestly thought i couldnt get much more excited then i started out! haha.

Also i got one question, im building mine with hot glue, and I been reading about how some resin's will heat up and melt the glue. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that also builds with hot glue, and if they could tell me the exact resin they use. It would be greatly appreciated!

Is that Pencil you used for the lines? it seems too bold to be just the lines inked off the printer.

No actually its black pen for my scoring of the mountain folds, I use red pen for my valley folds. No specific reason for the colors, just the ONLY two pens i could find around the house, lol!

{{Also i got one question, im building mine with hot glue, and I been reading about how some resin's will heat up and melt the glue. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that also builds with hot glue, and if they could tell me the exact resin they use. It would be greatly appreciated!}}

i agree thats a very good question im also useing hot glue and didnt know bout that lol plus your work is epic nice cant wait to see whats next!

as long as you have fiberglass resin its fine. the only time tabs come apart is if they are improperly glued where they sit on top of a layer of glue rather then having the actual glue hold the piece together, seen when there is constant remelting of the tabs glue to readjust the piece and having to put a bit more to compensate will create a definite layer of glue between the pieces that wont hold the cardstock together, so when you glue a piece together be sure to pinch it together and squeeze and wipe out the excess. if you have to re adjust a piece, then be sure to go over the tab with the glue gun to melt and separate the piece then go over the exposed glue to remelt it, and quickly pinch the tabs together. Also you can take scraps of cardstock from the cut outs and glue them on afterward to hold them, or tape the inside works too.

Just have to say, love your armor so far! For the thigh piece, I suggest getting the black thin foam sheets you find at craftstores to replace the part that will touch the inside ouf your thigh so you can move better.

Ok here's my First shin. I'm not 100% sure if ima stick with this scale and make the other shin, or scale it bigger. my foot BARLEY fits through the bottom of it, and it might be a hair short for my legs, but it's REALLY wide for me around my legs, so its borderline too big and too small at the same time.... So for now ima jump too the boot next, by doing the boot next, ill be able to tell if the height of the boot will make up for the length of my shin being a little too long. For now tho im open to suggestions if anyone knows a easy fix for this.

I know i can cut some of the bottom off to fit my foot thru, because i can fit it thru with a little bit of help. might be tough tho once its resigned and glassed. I was wondering if there was a way to scale just the height of the armor and not the width, that would be the ultimate solution for me. I read on another thread that its not a easy task tho to do that. so suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some pics, hope you like it!

Front View:
IMG_2598.jpg

Side View:
IMG_2600.jpg

You might want to be careful using hotglue instead of superglue. there is a possibility that the hot glue will melt when you resin the pieces.

Hot glue can be finicky and activate with other products, depending on what you use, so you should be careful and spot test before you do anything en masse.

yeah i already plan on testing before i commit to fully resigning a piece. I also have a couple extra pieces built that were scaled too small, and i figured i'd start out with a test resign on one of those pieces first. Thanks for the warning tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back