Boyscouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

I've been a member of scouts Canada for more then 10 years now. I've been through all the levels, am about to get my Queens Veuturer award (don't know the American equivalent), and am currently a leader for the lower levels.

I just got back from a camp acting as a leader, it brought back a good number of memories from when I was the age of the scouts I was with. The whipped cream can, the white gas, the pancake mix.

Who else here is/has been in scouts? Share your memories of flammable incidents, somewhat cooked food, and knife stories.

-.. --- -.-- --- ..- .-. -... . ... -

Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America, here. I was a Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol, Junior Assistant Scoutmaster, Chaplain's Aide, and Quartermaster.

Oh snap. Im an Eagle Scout (the top rank in the USA). I have basically been every job execpt for chaplain's aide and Junor Assistant Scoutmaster. I was my troop's Senior Patrol Leader up until last night when we had our troop elections and I didn't run again. I'll be moving on to organize our troop's Venturing Crew and i'm probobly going to be a junior ASM. I was my troop's first eagle scout. But enough about me.

Our troops very first offical campout, there was a kid who decided to light a plastic dock on fire with bug spray and some flint and steel. We were suprised it worked. And then a park ranger showed up and the kid was caught. Pwned. He then our PLC had him take the Fire Safety merit badge as concequences of his actions. That same kid also tottally ruined a brand new pan while trying to make teriakyi chicken. He almost burnt a hole through the pan. He bought the troop a new pan afterwords. We have not eaten or attempted to even cook teriakyi chicken since then.

I've got stories. My troop is awesome like that.

I did some scouts, havent been able to do any in a while though...

I once got angry at my friend and flicked out my knife, GROUNDED! I hit a kid by accident with a walking stick, GROUNDED! Hit the scout leader when using a bow in arrow by accident again, GROUNDED!
It was really cool because one day while out camping with the others, me and my friend started wandering. We found a raft at a river that NO one knew about, so we snuck out every once in a while to hide there. One time when we were getting back to land, I jumped and fell waist deep in the water, camp leaders asked why I was wet, my friend made an excuse and they bought it.
I once was fishing and I pissed off a snake by hitting it in the eye with the hook.
We played CTF and me and a buddy of mine got lost, it took us 3 hours to get back to camp!
^
That was all in one camp out.

I was a baad scout.

I was in the Snake River Council, the furthest I got was a silver star. All our troop did was play basketball. But camping, we had a lot of great experiances with camping. One that I'll share for now, now that Rhinoc mentions being a bad scout and rivers, Our troop was Kayaking down the Salmon river where my friend paddled into the willows and pulled out a body bag. It was empty, but it was cool so we made it our flag back at camp. It was the same trip where I nearly ran over a black bear cub with my four wheeler and got third degree burns on both hands. I got a lot of horror stories, any interested just encourage me. :)

These stories are great, keep em coming.

I will now speak of the incident involving the whipped cream can.

Ever year our region holds a small camporee with about 6 other groups, in total there are close to 20 patrols. Part of the camporee includes a camp baking contest so my patrol brought several cans of whipped cream. Once it had all been consumed one way or another, we were left with nothing to do, that is until one of the patrol members decided it would be a good idea to put one in the fire. Word got around to the various patrols and soon there were about 20 scouts in our campsite. The brave (or just plain insane) patrol member placed the can in the fire and dashed behind a log. It took about 5 minutes for the plastic valve to melt off the can, the result was a hot pressurized rocket going in no particular direction at about 70mph. just as the rocket had expelled its last gas , a leader came bolting in only to find an empty campsite, and a smoldering fire.

We were pretty smug

These stories are great, keep em coming.

I will now speak of the incident involving the whipped cream can.

Ever year our region holds a small camporee with about 6 other groups, in total there are close to 20 patrols. Part of the camporee includes a camp baking contest so my patrol brought several cans of whipped cream. Once it had all been consumed one way or another, we were left with nothing to do, that is until one of the patrol members decided it would be a good idea to put one in the fire. Word got around to the various patrols and soon there were about 20 scouts in our campsite. The brave (or just plain insane) patrol member placed the can in the fire and dashed behind a log. It took about 5 minutes for the plastic valve to melt off the can, the result was a hot pressurized rocket going in no particular direction at about 70mph. just as the rocket had expelled its last gas , a leader came bolting in only to find an empty campsite, and a smoldering fire.

We were pretty smug

I'm doing that at my next campout. No joke.

i am eagle scout out of ohio. i was in oa made brotherhood those who are in know what that means. my troop was a bunch a misfits and it was the best time. we went camping every month, even tent in snow. hiked with food and tent etc 50 miles in a week, did same thing in a canoe the next year. scouts was good to me learned alot of dos and don'ts

I am So happy to see this thread.

I have been in scouts ever since tiger cubs (Lowest rank in USA) My mother was our den mother for 5 years, and at the same time my father was our cubmaster . we earned our arrow of light (highest achievement in cubscouts USA) therefore we joined boyscouts when we were 11 . My dad has been our scoutmster for almost 4 years now and will be retireing when I get my eagle (highest rank achieveable in USA) in January . I just finished my eagle project 3 weeks ago and made some awsome memories doing it ! I was the Seniour Patrol leader and chaplians aide until last week (I had been in that position for 9 months) to where I was made Troop guide and grub master (Its about time, Ive wanted that position for 3 years! lol ) We went to camp rotary (claire , MI) In july where all together my toop earned 27 merit badges (we have a troop of 8 boys) It was wonderfull! I only need my personal fitness and hikeing merit badge and then I will have all 21 needed for the rank of eagle ! I cant wait to read more replys to this thread to see who else that is a part of these forums is involved in scouts! Thanks for makeing this thread,

Jacob
Troop 955 , Houghton Lake , Michigan

I was for 9 years in the Belgium Scouting VVKSM.
Had to run away from the forester once. Never ran that fast my life haha he was wearing a double barrel rifle :/
But all and all i was a lazy git back then. had crazy health issues so i was the sleepy one from the group.

Ohwell great times :)

oh snap :$ , Troop 44 tallahassee, florida yea SUWANEE RIVER AREA COUNCIL ,life scout hoping to get eagle. patrol leader, troop guide :)

troop 44. Florida

can i get a Hell, ya for all those who went to the 2010 national boyscout jamboree... hell,ya!

I'm an Eagle Scout out of Missouri, I'm also a Brotherhood member of the OA. I was a member of my troop from the time I was 12 until I aged out, and i'm still semi-registered in a Native American Venture Crew and working on starting a Shooting Venture Crew (college and jobs steal your free time). I held the positions of Senior Patrol Leader, Troop Guide, Patrol Leader, Den Chief, Chaplain's Aide, Junior Assistant Scout Master, and Assistant Scout Master. I was also the 2nd place Grass Dancer for 2 years at our Section Conclave (Shawnee and Anpetu-We) and 1 year 1st place.

My fondest memories are of what I did while extremely active in the Native American Venture Crew. We were gone almost every weekend, and we went all over the place. We did demonstration dances and displays for the Art Department at our local college, Blue and Golds for cub scouts, spiced up Rendezvous, put on shows for handicapped people, did a presentation for our local Conservation Agency, and more.

Although, my funniest memories would have to be from my regular troop. One kid decided that he should light stuff on fire using Axe. So we ended up setting a tent pole and his shorts on fire...while we were in the tent and he was wearing his shorts. Then there was the time we went Deep Sea fishing in Alabama, everyone caught a fish except me, talk about great luck lol. That trip was cool because we got to spend the night on the USS Alabama and slept in the actual beds they used, plus playing hide and seek and tag was freaking amazing.

Dang I feel old, really started to ramble didn't I?

oh snap :$ , Troop 44 tallahassee, florida yea SUWANEE RIVER AREA COUNCIL ,life scout hoping to get eagle. patrol leader, troop guide :)

troop 44. Florida

can i get a Hell, ya for all those who went to the 2010 national boyscout jamboree... hell,ya!

Hell ya!

Oh snap. Im an Eagle Scout (the top rank in the USA). I have basically been every job execpt for chaplain's aide and Junor Assistant Scoutmaster. I was my troop's Senior Patrol Leader up until last night when we had our troop elections and I didn't run again. I'll be moving on to organize our troop's Venturing Crew and i'm probobly going to be a junior ASM. I was my troop's first eagle scout. But enough about me.

Our troops very first offical campout, there was a kid who decided to light a plastic dock on fire with bug spray and some flint and steel. We were suprised it worked. And then a park ranger showed up and the kid was caught. Pwned. He then our PLC had him take the Fire Safety merit badge as concequences of his actions. That same kid also tottally ruined a brand new pan while trying to make teriakyi chicken. He almost burnt a hole through the pan. He bought the troop a new pan afterwords. We have not eaten or attempted to even cook teriakyi chicken since then.

I've got stories. My troop is awesome like that.

I hope that boy got this Fire'em Chit taken away (or a corner cut off, depending on the scoutmaster)

On your troops first camp out, We all earned our Toten chip and Fire'em Chit . There was this one boy who was just Disobediant. He decided to to throw a bunch of dry brush and leaves on teh fire and then jump over the pit. He jumped , and thank the lord he didnt get hurt, But Our scoutmaster (My dad) took his fire'em chit away, and he had only had it for 20 minutes! So, About a hour later, We were whittling on some stick, because we had just earned out Tottin' chips . This boy decides to chop some wood in the Axe yard for the fire. So here he is swinging this 20 pound Axe at a peice of wood that is laying flat on teh ground. My grandfather walked up and says "What in the H**L do you think you are doing?" . The boy replys "Im chopping some wood!" in the cheeseist of voices. Well, needless to say, He got his tottin chip taken away when he had had it for only 15 minutes.

I see a trend here. A bunch of us are the highest rank in scouting. That makes us awesome.

My troop started with 5 boys 4 years ago, and now we have 22-24 scouts. I was one of the founding members. My mom is my scoutmaster and our troop is THE BEST in at least our district. I started in Tigers and now imma Eagle brah!

In Jaunary, a small crew of us, like 6 or 7 of us, will be going to the International Scout Center in Switzerland. There is another troop in our district that thinks they are so cool because they go to Norther Tier and Switzerland in the summer. THE ARE SO LAME. Only real scouts go winter camping. We will snowboard in switzerland and have an awesome time. We get the most respect everytime we go to a camporee.

Troop 84, Orlando, Florida

troop 44. Florida

Dat be a Hells Yes right dere. I got me some Halo Patches when I was there.

I see a trend here. A bunch of us are the highest rank in scouting. That makes us awesome.

My troop started with 5 boys 4 years ago, and now we have 22-24 scouts. I was one of the founding members. My mom is my scoutmaster and our troop is THE BEST in at least our district. I started in Tigers and now imma Eagle brah!

In Jaunary, a small crew of us, like 6 or 7 of us, will be going to the International Scout Center in Switzerland. There is another troop in our district that thinks they are so cool because they go to Norther Tier and Switzerland in the summer. THE ARE SO LAME. Only real scouts go winter camping. We will snowboard in switzerland and have an awesome time. We get the most respect everytime we go to a camporee.

Troop 84, Orlando, Florida

Dude, That is AWSOMETASTIC!!!!!! I somtimes think those moms are better leader than then the men! lol jk I think the closest I've ever get to a National scouting exhibit is 'Adventure Base 100' when it came to grand rapids MI in march. I hope to someday go to the National Jambo .

Dude, That is AWSOMETASTIC!!!!!! I somtimes think those moms are better leader than then the men! lol jk I think the closest I've ever get to a National scouting exhibit is 'Adventure Base 100' when it came to grand rapids MI in march. I hope to someday go to the National Jambo .

Start planning now. The next one is in 2013. The National one at least. The next World Jambo is next summer, less than a year away. I'm one of the few scouts to say that they have been to both the World Scout 100th Anniversary AND the National Scout 100th Anniversary. I'm going to try and go to world next year but i'll be 18. Sadface. Oh well, there will be plently of ladies there.

Yes, almost all of the time our scoutmaster is way more awesome then some of the other scoutmasters around here. It depends on who you are though. My troop is a lot like a european troop, and we always fight the power and do awesome stuff. Like dress in costume for the camporees. Oh, and wear awesome neckerchiefs.

Troop 84, Sand Lake District, Central Florida Council, Orlando, Florida. Best troop evar.

forgot but call out the "hell to the yes" if ya got some reach patches at the jambo

hell to the yes troop 44

btw JBETTS97 what was your subcamp? mine was 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back