Halo Movie Back in Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirfroget

Jr Member
Hay everyone, haven't posted in a wile because of computer problems but just herd of
Steven Spielberg trying to get rights to make halo movie(s) based off the novels hopefully it happens and goes good and we actually get to see it in the future .
what are your thoughts on it?

If they do it right, then by all means. I just hope they don't make another one of those lame game-adaptions that are somewhere between boring and plain stupid. The Halo universe has a lot more to offer than firefights and explosions - especially, if you include the novels.

meh, sounds like an internet hype started by some bored kid with nothing better to do... but hey, if it's real.... DROOOOOOOOOLLLL!!!!

god if the halo movie is back in produtcion that would be awesome. i just hope if they do its a good movie going through the campaign of one of the games. i think halo ce would be the coolest. and if they dont, me and some friends are thinikng about a halo reach movie. nothing big but i think it would turn out ok. and if spielburg screws up the movie with a bunch of stupid crap to make money, ill have to augment myself and build real mjolnir armor to go and kick his ass with.

http://kotaku.com/5657490/report-halo-movie-might-happen-with-spielberg-but-in-an-unexpected-way

there's the linky.

Lot's of possibilities with this, but here's my thoughts:

Back when they were first pushing forward with the Halo movie I was deeply absorbed in the whole process (from a fan's perspective mind you) checking every update in print, online, and television. So while I don't pretend to have "insider" information, I do remember more or less how the whole thing went down, and what it all boiled down to is this:

Microsoft for reasons both good and bad where ultimately the ones who kept the movie from happening.
The GOOD reasons were that Microsoft wanted an unprecedented level of creative control over the entire project in order to make sure that hollywood didn't mess with the lore or the canon too much. They wanted approval on script changes, concepts, designs, and probably even costumes and sets, and they had a very thick bible clearly outlining all the factions, characters, and lore that Hollywood could not deviate from.
You know all the Transformer's fans who rage against Michael Bay for what he did to the lore? We would not have felt their pain. A good film or otherwise, it would NOT have been "Halo in name only".

The BAD reasons were that Microsoft ALSO wanted a huge amount of the profits from the film, and when the numbers started coming in on what the budget was going to be to make this thing happen, the studios came back to microsoft to renegotiate and they wouldn't have it. It's a little more complicated than that probably, and Microsoft was not the only greedy party in the whole process, but they were the major one.

Basically, Microsoft wanted ALL the potential benefits and rewards the movie offered with virtually NONE of the financial risks involved in a project like this. It didn't make any financial sense for the studios involved...so they pulled out, though they still retain the option for the films development.

So that brings us to NOW, with dreamworks possibly planning to produce a franchise based on the books rather than the game license. Will this be any different?

Surprisingly...yes, I think it will, and I have 1 very simple reason why: 343 industries. For better or worse, microsoft seems willing to take a few more risks with there license this time and they've already been testing the waters with Halo: Legends. So it's almost inevitable that if the Halo movie does happen, it will happen in conjunction with 343 industries, and they'd presumably have a hand in it financially and creatively.

I honestly will not get my hopes up until I see the first Trailer for the film. So yeah, not to be a downer, but I have been and will always be suspicious of any story claiming that someone, (No matter how big the name/company is.) is trying to get the rights to a Halo film.

But here's to dreaming. :)

If they do end up making this thing, I hope they use the original voice actors like Jen Taylor and Steve Downes. Anything else would be too weird.

And I also hope that they make the Covenant alot more dangerous. I want to see the elites do things that have never been seen in the game. I'm also curious what a grunt can do to a human in hand to hand combat.

Micheal Bay or whatever his name is can't get his hands on this. He'll make a plasma shot look like a bloody nuke went off...which would piss me off.

-Pony

As long as they get the lore correct like Chief should have the correct armor on I'll accept a slight re image of the Mark V for a more modern realistic look since it was original x box graphics which were a bit lacking but not to deviate into a completely different suit. Also the directing has to be dead on, since the books mention how well the Spartans moved with fluid motion and could know each others action near telepathically I definably want to see that aspect. Since it's supposedly based on the Fall of Reach we should expect a very character driven movie rather then an explosive one which is fine with me since we have the games to satisfy our need for explosions, I want to see how the spartans grew up, how they trained, and to truly see how a GROUP of them move together in sync. Since we don't get a sense of how cool a squad of spartans moves together from the bad A.I. Of Reach =/
P.S. If they Hire Justin Bieber to play a young John I will MURDER THEM ALL!

As long as they get the lore correct like Chief should have the correct armor on I'll accept a slight re image of the Mark V for a more modern realistic look since it was original x box graphics which were a bit lacking but not to deviate into a completely different suit.
cough cough Halo Reach armor cough

WOW! lots of post lol. but ya theirs a lot of concern in the costuming for the movie,i have the same thoughts as a lot of you guys do but its Steven Spielberg i'm sure the covenant will look good but the UNSC idk hopefully it will go good....but now the halo franchise is floating there in space for almost anyone i'm kinda afraid of what might become of it in the future .if the movie is going to be made the 405th community should get intact with the props department for the movie considering we have sum of the best prop makers Ive ever seen . but blue realm studios would be perfect for making the Mjolnir Mark V Armour after all thay had the best Mark IV Armour ,that i'm aware of that is.

We can only hope for the best.

Honestly guys, if I were you, I would not spend 1 minute worrying about the costume department for this proposed project. Again, if it happens, the people in charge of the franchise have a pretty remarkable track record of making sure Hollywood sticks close to the canon, almost to a fault by some peoples accounts. They may make some modifications for the sake of mobility, but you can be pretty sure they'll stick close to the iconic representation of each character and/or faction.
And If Legacy FX (the guys behind most of the live action marketing) don't do the costumes, it will only be because they found someone even more equipped to handle the process.

I'd relax, we're in good hands on that front.

As a fan, I'd be a little more concerned about the script at this point in time.

Honestly guys, if I were you, I would not spend 1 minute worrying about the costume department for this proposed project. Again, if it happens, the people in charge of the franchise have a pretty remarkable track record of making sure Hollywood sticks close to the canon, almost to a fault by some peoples accounts. They may make some modifications for the sake of mobility, but you can be pretty sure they'll stick close to the iconic representation of each character and/or faction.
And If Legacy FX (the guys behind most of the live action marketing) don't do the costumes, it will only be because they found someone even more equipped to handle the process.

I'd relax, we're in good hands on that front.

As a fan, I'd be a little more concerned about the script at this point in time.

True on the suit. Spielberg made Dreamworks and if you guys remember that's the company that also made Iron Man, Stan Winston's studio created the suits.

As for the scrpt....well they did also do the previous mentioned Transformers that Spielbreg Executive Produced. So here's hoping it's more like Iron Man than Transformers in script quality.

It's interesting that no one in this thread has mentioned a possibilty of this movie being CGI. I mean 'The Package' in Halo Legends was state of the art, and the Final Fantasy CGI film was beautiful to look at, but I think that the gravity of the events in Halo lore would be lost on compuetr generated graphics. if Spielberg directs (or better yet Neil Blomkamp or Guillermo Del Toro) LIVE action flick and makes it onto something along the lines of 'A.I.' (minus the ponderous length or Hellboy) I could see them pulling off a Halo CE movie where you leave the theatre thinking "Holy snot, the Chief is the lone survivor".

As an aside, I don't know about you guys,but I felt the loss of each and every one of those ai marines and Helljumpers that fought alongside me."hey look! A SAPRTAN!" or "Give me an angle!" and "Nice and smooth now" I always thought If all these guys die then It'll be me alone against the Covie/Flood again.

I just hope it's not Ryan Reynolds as MC. He seems to be in everything these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back