Halo Movie Back in Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly...if Spielberg is backing the franchise then the danger of Michael Bay is very legitimate.

Honestly...there might be some redeeming aspects to a Michael Bay Halo film based on the first game (not that I'd prefer it mind u), but frankly I cannot imagine his take on Fall of Reach. Fall of Reach deals with very sensitive themes and concepts about the morality of the military industrial complex that will be very difficult to adapt. Character motivations are a little easier to spell out in the novel than they are on film, particularly for Dr. Halsey and the trainees.

That's another problem with adapting Reach. Good luck casting this thing. Once the covenant show up and we transition into Chief's adult life I don't see much of an issue. I don't exactly see why people are so keen on Kiefer Sutherland as the Chief...but whatever. Me, i'd prefer Steve Downes...but there are any number of actors who could take the part since it would be mostly voiced based work and/or digital performance capture anyway.
No...the real danger here is the early sections of the film. For that we're going to have to sit through what I'm guessing is a pretty sizable section of child actors. That has the same problem which Ender's game has gone through in attempts to adapt it to the big screen because the central characters are actually very intelligent trained warriors who just also happen to be children as well. You'll have to find not just one but at least 3 unknown child actors who can pull that off without it being overly corny. And god help all us Halo nerds if they get some cutsie child star to play Chief. Remember Jake Loyd as Anakin Skywalker? Yeah.....

Sadly...if Spielberg is backing the franchise then the danger of Michael Bay is very legitimate.

Honestly...there might be some redeeming aspects to a Michael Bay Halo film based on the first game (not that I'd prefer it mind u), but frankly I cannot imagine his take on Fall of Reach. Fall of Reach deals with very sensitive themes and concepts about the morality of the military industrial complex that will be very difficult to adapt. Character motivations are a little easier to spell out in the novel than they are on film, particularly for Dr. Halsey and the trainees.

That's another problem with adapting Reach. Good luck casting this thing. Once the covenant show up and we transition into Chief's adult life I don't see much of an issue. I don't exactly see why people are so keen on Kiefer Sutherland as the Chief...but whatever. Me, i'd prefer Steve Downes...but there are any number of actors who could take the part since it would be mostly voiced based work and/or digital performance capture anyway.
No...the real danger here is the early sections of the film. For that we're going to have to sit through what I'm guessing is a pretty sizable section of child actors. That has the same problem which Ender's game has gone through in attempts to adapt it to the big screen because the central characters are actually very intelligent trained warriors who just also happen to be children as well. You'll have to find not just one but at least 3 unknown child actors who can pull that off without it being overly corny. And god help all us Halo nerds if they get some cutsie child star to play Chief. Remember Jake Loyd as Anakin Skywalker? Yeah.....

Very Good Point. Steve Downes is pretty big, so if chief is live action... he could pull it off. as for child actors... hmmmm... serious child actors are hard to come by... last one i saw was... The kid who played Bruno in "The Bicycle thief"... but that was made in the 40's lol

No matter how it is, if its made, everyone will hype it. It will be great, but then everyone will nit-pick at something about it in a ridiculous way. Eventually the movie will be accepted for what it is, and the film-makers will still swim around in cash from it.

No matter how it is, if its made, everyone will hype it. It will be great, but then everyone will nit-pick at something about it in a ridiculous way. Eventually the movie will be accepted for what it is, and the film-makers will still swim around in cash from it.

well put...

Off topic but..... Do you really wear the JFO helm? lol

well put...

Off topic but..... Do you really wear the JFO helm? lol

Sometimes. I'm changing my armor every day. I'm dying for the level cap to be released, not for ranks, but for new armor.
1-2 months? Seriously not cool. They could have at least raised it to a new cap instead of full Inheritor release.

Sometimes. I'm changing my armor every day. I'm dying for the level cap to be released, not for ranks, but for new armor.
1-2 months? Seriously not cool. They could have at least raised it to a new cap instead of full Inheritor release.
Ah, i See. I really haven't taking a liking to the JFO... Mark V on the other hand :D
but yeah i think we can all agree that Mk. V, Security and Pilot look beast :)

Very Good Point. Steve Downes is pretty big, so if chief is live action... he could pull it off. as for child actors... hmmmm... serious child actors are hard to come by... last one i saw was... The kid who played Bruno in "The Bicycle thief"... but that was made in the 40's lol

I'll make you one gaurantee. Downes will NOT be suiting up for the part. I'd hope if transformers can get Peter Cullen back for Optimus Prime, us Halo fans can get our iconic hero back...but there is no way he's suiting up.

For that matter, I'd say there's a 90% chance that the overwhelming majority of Adult chief's work will be done by a suit actor. Even if they do the unthinkable and show his face, they'll almost certainly just paste it on digitally, no matter who they get.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Downes as the Chief if the filmmakers decide not to take off his helmet. In that case, I wouldn't settle for anything else. But in, for instance, Fall of Reach, there are multiple scenes with Chief out of his armor, and I don't see Downes playing him as anything more than a voice. If they need real acting, not just movement capture, then I want Sutherland in the role.

I am sick of the whole attitude of "it's too unoriginal to have MC in a Halo game/movie", obviously if you like Halo, you like MC, and if there's going to be a movie, I don't want another power ranger gang/noble team thing happening.

I hate to say it. But there has been no good adaptation of video games to movies. To refresh your memory of the horrors you may have forgotten about.

Mortal Kombat
Super Mario brother - (oh it was so bad. *sigh*)
Tomb Raider
Hitman
Bloodrayne
Double Dragon
Alone in the Dark
House of the dead
Wing Commander
Street Fighter

I worry for the safety of the Chief. I don't care how big the budget is, if the plot and acting is crap, it's dead in the water.
I will gladly eat my words though if he pulls it off. I just am very leery.

Doom was alright for a game to movie thing. I agree with the plot. They should get Nylund and all the Halo fiction writers in on the script for this.

Tomb Raider and Wing Commander were actually pretty entertaining... for being based on games :)

But in my opinion, a Halo movie should not just be about firefights and explosions. Sure, no Halo without some action - but especially the novels tell us a lot about what's going on inside the characters. The young Spartans' pain during training, their strange no-nonsense mission oriented way of thinking later on, the horrors of the various augmentations they had to go through (not really depicted well in the books, because at the time, the Spartans were well beyond the point where they could have been shocked and appalled). And that's only the Spartans. There's also room for not only epic, but also innovative space battle (physics!) and lots of other cool stuff.

If they try to avoid any of that and hope that the fans will be satisfied with a nice soundtrack and some rattatatatakaboom in the middle of a few styrofoam ruins, the movie will be second class at best.

I hate to say it. But there has been no good adaptation of video games to movies. To refresh your memory of the horrors you may have forgotten about.

Mortal Kombat
Super Mario brother - (oh it was so bad. *sigh*)
Tomb Raider
Hitman
Bloodrayne
Double Dragon
Alone in the Dark
House of the dead
Wing Commander
Street Fighter

I worry for the safety of the Chief. I don't care how big the budget is, if the plot and acting is crap, it's dead in the water.
I will gladly eat my words though if he pulls it off. I just am very leery.

One of the quotes I live by is this "There are no bad stories, there are only bad storytellers."

The failure of every single videogame movie thus far has nothing to do with the nature of the source material. In a world where movies based on action figures and theme park rides are getting oscar nominations, there's simply no argument left to blame source material.
Every videogame movie thus far has failed simply because the filmakers they've put in charge of those projects have been some of the most incompetent people working in the industry.
Go through imdb and check out the directors of all the movies on that list.

Find ONE good movie that any of them have done that wasn't based on a videogame. You won't. Every single thing any of them have ever touched has been complete garbage. You could give someone like that Shakespeare and they would produce something just as unwatchable.

If they get a good team of creative people behind this project there's no reason at all that Halo can't be fantastic.

One of the quotes I live by is this "There are no bad stories, there are only bad storytellers."

The failure of every single videogame movie thus far has nothing to do with the nature of the source material. In a world where movies based on action figures and theme park rides are getting oscar nominations, there's simply no argument left to blame source material.
Every videogame movie thus far has failed simply because the filmakers they've put in charge of those projects have been some of the most incompetent people working in the industry.
Go through imdb and check out the directors of all the movies on that list.

Find ONE good movie that any of them have done that wasn't based on a videogame. You won't. Every single thing any of them have ever touched has been complete garbage. You could give someone like that Shakespeare and they would produce something just as unwatchable.

If they get a good team of creative people behind this project there's no reason at all that Halo can't be fantastic.

-Oh I agree completely with this dude. I think that's just it, most well known directors won't touch these projects because they realize what could happen to them with creating such a goose egg. But yes if the team is right, it could be good. But although Spielburg might have potential to get Halo going BUT...let us not forget Howard the Duck.

Like I said, I will gladly eat my words if the film they produce is amazing. I'd love to see a movie break the stigma of 'video game movies are disasters.' But only time will tell and a monstrously big budget. ;3

my thoughts exactly Peter Jackson and Niel Blomkamp would have done the movie, after all of the movies that they have made in the past became the best of the best.
i just really hope its good and i want to see a trailer first before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back