so are we nerds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

savage22

Jr Member
Im 29 years old in college and most of the rest of the class are younger out of high school guys. So I figured id take my helmet and show it to a few of the guys there ive played Halo Reach with. 1-2 thought it was cool but several others just kinda gave me this look like making halo armor was a bit 'over the top' or something. I dont really care, i think its kinda cool. anyone else get odd looks or folks just think your a total nerd?

I think I am a nerd but whose wearing the cool armor? I have some armor but it isn't good. But in reality this can lead to jobs in 3D modeling, just modeling, and just alot more.

It is something you are gonna need to deal with. Some people will love it, some will like it, some will compliment the craftsmanship, some will call you the biggest nerd ever and go back to their Call of Poopy Modded W****fare Poo (I honestly like the CoD series but ya know... whatevs (poop joke FTW) and other way nerdy things, some will just laugh. It is life man. As said by many, everyone's a f***in critic! I say that just because it is armor from halo doesnt mean we are obsessed, it means we love the hobby!!

But to answer your question, yes, we are all nerds here, but that doesnt mean we cant be totally awesome guys!

by my definition of nerd is some one very smart. now... i am not a nerd (my grades suck) but i like to make armor. also who cares what other people think as long as you like to do it. and yes, there are job's out there that require crafting like this.

My wife thinks I'm a nerd, my family thinks I'm a nerd, my friends think I'm a nerd, but they all respect the amount of work that gets put into projects like these. And regardless of what most people say, chicks dig nerds :p, at least my wife does.

-Matt

my dad and my mom think that i am, my mom and my dad say that anyone who does this has no life and that only people 12 and under should do this stuff

LOL! glad to know im not the only one (I didnt think i was to begin with.)
one older older guy said 'what the F*** is that?" I said its a helmet. "like for paintball or something?"
"yeah i guess you could use it for that."
LOL

Nerds don't have any social skills, Geeks do.

I see this all the time, why is it socially acceptable to paint your your face and do other crazy things at let's say a football game but it's not ok to dress up for other events and such? The tides are turning on these people who don't understand us, at some point we will become the norm and they will be the weird ones. Just take a look at the comicons, they are growing in size and popularity and are becoming mainline. Remember this famous saying, the geek will inherit the earth.

my dad and my mom think that i am, my mom and my dad say that anyone who does this has no life and that only people 12 and under should do this stuff

your parents are a little mean? btw this might want to get moved to 405th descussion (<-- hope its spelled right)

Tell your parents they are jerks and wrong, this hobby is freakin awesome

LOL! glad to know im not the only one (I didnt think i was to begin with.)
one older older guy said 'what the F*** is that?" I said its a helmet. "like for paintball or something?"
"yeah i guess you could use it for that."
LOL
Dont use it for paintball, bad idea all around.

I don't consider us nerds. We are geeks.
And geeks have skills. Like computers and gameing.
With the exeption of armoring.

i dont play paintball but the guy is 60+ years old, if thats the best way i can get the idea of making this across instead of saying 'this is a helmet based on a character in a series of video games...' then fine, its for paintball. ;)

I consider myself a nerd.

But only because I build all my computers, I'm a major in computer engineering, I build halo armor for ghits and siggles, I know Halo, Star Trek, MASH, and Firefly by heart.
I program my TI-83 on Friday nights instead of going out to bars.
I'm usually in bed by 9:00.
I'm fluent in Javascript as well as Klingon.

(okay, maybe not that last statement, but you get the idea)
Plus, I live in my parent's basement.

Last edited by a moderator:
nerds, geeks, losers, misfits, it doesnt matter what anyone calls you , all that matters is that you are doing something that is making you happy and most important not hurting anyone. i mean would you parents rather you be sneaking out drinking and smoking ? just be you ! and who know what this might lead to , you could be designing movie sets as far as anyone knows

i've gotten some looks carrying/wearing my marine helmet that i recently made, but most people who have time to sit down (during a class) and look at usually want to to try it on and ask the standard questions. But to answer you question i consider my slef a nerd for it and the other things i do, but i take pride in the armor cause anything good takes time and that im one of the few people at my school willing to take the time to make it

i dont think its nerdy... i have barly played halo 2 and have yet to see anything past it...(no spare moneyz for a new xbox...)i was rando surfin youtube and saw a built armor and said i had to do it. thats how i found this place. my family says it was a waste of my spare time for the past 2 years. but yet when they seen it they were all like WTFLOLCOPTER!!! the only part i hate about it is i get asked if im a storm trooper(White MC) but then again i am nerdy... but idc what others think. dont like it dont look... how i see it as... and its always more fun to play games with items from the game(wii with zelda shield nunchuck and sword remote...) or halo wearing a suit while drinkin(optinal) with a few friends...

It's definatly frowned upon at my sports obsessed highschool, but I have more admirers than haters ;P
All depends on how you treat the hobby. Acouple of days of work, spend time with friends, go outside, all that good stuff :p

In my personal experience, there is a very fine line between being a nerd and being just outright artistic. I’m just outright artistic and by no means am a nerd. Why? Lets look at the facts that I used to conclude this statement…

Why I’m NOT Classified as a Nerd:

-My grade average is 67% (approximately)
-I have multiple friends and a bunch of acquaintances who I talk to on a regular basis
-I have a girlfriend (over 11 months solid relationship)
-I don’t wear glasses
-I’m enlisted in the Canadian Armed Forces reserves
-I make “Totally kick-ass costumes”

Why I MAY be Classified as a Nerd:

-I make “Totally kick-ass costumes” (this point goes either way)
-I have braces (Not sure how this qualifies-must be the nerd stereotype)
-My grade in Canadian History (1700-1999) and Ancient History is above 98%

Basically, you can see how the scales tip heavily to the “Not a Nerd” side.

A few things I’ve picked up that prove a lot about what is generally the dark side of “cool people”. This is why, nerd or not, best to not be one of these low-lives…

-People considered “cool” always seem to start their stories with “Woah man, I was so drunk/stoned at that party on the weekend…”. This is a good indicator that these guys/girls are a really bad group to hang out with. Key words here… SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL ABUSE IS BAD (And ILLEGAL for minors if alcohol related- Unless its drugs, then its 99.9% to be illegal anyway- Stay away from that crap). These people often tend to drag everybody down with them, so if your in the situation where somebody offers you something you shouldn’t be taking, don’t take it. Remember, the second you take it, the sirens always seem to be right around the corner the second the “deed is done”.

-People considered “cool” typically are a public nuisance, and its best not to bee seen with these hooligans anyway. For both your own rep, and the general public.

-People considered “cool” typically have their pants down to their ankles. Honestly, how many times have you walked behind one of these people and thought/said aloud “Dude, pull up your pants. I can see your MW2 boxers…”

-People considered “cool” typically are a bad representation of todays teenagers. Completely disrespectful, and always mouthing off. How many times have you seen an elderly person walking down the sidewalk, and these “cool” people just mow right through that person expecting that person to move or be run over? These so called “cool” people should always move aside for the elderly person, or, in fact, any person in general. What ever happened to being polite? You know, those words known as “please” and “thank-you”.

-People considered “cool” always have terrible school grades, and end up staying in high school an extra 2, 3 or even 4 years just to get the credits they should have gotten in the first place years ago. It’s not hard to graduate high school with a 51% average in 4-5 years…

So, in the end, would you prefer to be a nerd/ extremely artistic apposed to being that idiot who is considered “cool”. Let’s see who the real failures in life are in a few years… Remember, school is never the official judging of your social standing. Only in the real work environment can you truly be judged as either a 30-year veteran at Mc Donalds who is still a burger flipper due to being a high school dropout, or the next Tony Stark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back