so are we nerds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100-86.jpg

I'm not a teeth shattering hard colored candy

I always tell people "Im not a nerd... nerds are smart" Honestly I'm a High school dropout, but that's a complicated story im working to fix. Im pretty intelligent but i just messed things up so i think im a nerd or geek or whatever a proper classification of a game playing, computer addicted, video game artist wannabe is.

100-86.jpg

im not a nerd ....shot i never finish school.....lol but my friends and family call me a nerd for making helmet and armor of any type.....i really dont give a flying dodo wat any1 think of me .......cus in the long run we are the 1 wit the sick costume

Let's see:
I am an aerospace engineer, so that pretty much seals it.
But a nerd, not a geek. A geek is a guy who bites the heads off of live chickens for booze money. I'm not that.

At 53, I'd say this was not a hobby exclusively for kids.
But...
Played ice hockey in middle school, football in high school. Still playing hockey now. Had my share of girlfriends and am now happily married with 2 kids. Does that disqualify me?

"Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?"
(by the way, that's the Schrodinger wave equation in the background)

Don't tell your parents that they are jerks, just that you like Halo and that building props and armor is an excellent hobby.

When you roll out in your MK VI or ODST for Halo-ween, they'll all get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
People will always sneer, but that's because they need to validate their own superiority because they don't think they could ever make something so cool.

You should pick up a book called "Mindset". It's extremely interesting!

I think the term "Nerd" has lost it's meaning. If there's one thing I try to live every day it's remembering that all people are multi-dimensional and made up of a thousand different experiences.

When I made my helmet, I wanted lights in it, so I went to the engineering department at my school to see what kind of help I could get there. Every person in the room wanted a photo-op with the helmet, trying it on or just wearing it on top of their head if it didn't fit. It was amazing how many pointers they gave me, and one even loaned me his soldering iron so that I could connect the wires. I think two of them asked me where I had gotten the info to make them, and one pursued it and made one himself.
My mom on the other hand was one of those really popular people when she was younger. She can't figure out why I turned out so geeky and into games, but she figures it's my artistic side. When I showed it to her, she looked at it, asked me what it was made out of, and carefully inspected it. Then she asked me how feasible it would be to make a whole costume, show it off around halloween, and sell custom ones as Christmas gifts. My mom may not be geeky, but she certainly could appreciate the time and effort I put into it, as well as figure out how I could use my new fiberglass skills to my advantage.
Nerdy? No.
Geeky? Hell yes. It just means I'm not a sheep.

im proud to be a so-called "Nerd".

Ive shown 3 people my armor so far.

My teacher was stunned and thought it was awesome. A hot girl was also stunned and asked me to describe how i did it. And my friend thought it was nifty.

I think that makes it COOL

haha we aren't nerds. We're geeks. And to be fair I've never had a problem with this. The ladies love it and the guys just stare in awe. Trust me , when ya walk up to someone decked out in armor, just look at their faces. Priceless I tell ya. Helps if you have a tinted face place. It's like watchin the world go by without them realizing youre staring at them.

I've had girls give me their numbers just coz I've got armor and I know of guys who pick up chicks while wearing armor lol. I admit though, chicks do dig the Cpl Hicks artwork on my chest plate. As one once told me, it looks very mysterious lol.

I don't play computer games. I'm a handyman and I love to build ****. I do get the occasional you're a weirdo stare. But then when you explain how the suit was built, trust me the people appreciate the work a lot more. Esp since I'm an ODST. Everyone of our suits are different reflecting the personality of the wearer.

People can say whatever they want. But seriously who gives a ****?

Some friends think its pretty cool. Some don't care what-so-ever. Some think its stupid. But whatever, I dont really care. It's an amazing hobby, it's very original. I doesn't really matter what we game or story we are making costumes from, its just the hobby.I must say though, I'm really glad my gf is good with the whole thing, cause otherwise... :p

Im a closet nerd, I hide behind a helmet so ha, but nobody seems to care or make fun that I build this stuff, they all are amazed when they find out it all started out with sheets of paper, but out in public no one would ever know Im into this stuff but the truth is I love all the sci fi crap Starwars stuff etc. So I guess im a nerd

I'd say I'm a nerd/geek/whatever, but I tend to balance it out by doing somewhat less-nerdy things like snowboarding. I hope this will one day open up the awesome possibility of going snowboarding in a complete suit of Halo armour. However, I'm also an IT Tech, so I guess that kinda leans back towards the 'nerd' paradigm. Also, I use words like paradigm.

All it really comes down to, is we are ourselves. Let others bother with labels and such.

I'd say I'm a nerd/geek/whatever, but I tend to balance it out by doing somewhat less-nerdy things like snowboarding. I hope this will one day open up the awesome possibility of going snowboarding in a complete suit of Halo armour. However, I'm also an IT Tech, so I guess that kinda leans back towards the 'nerd' paradigm. Also, I use words like paradigm.

All it really comes down to, is we are ourselves. Let others bother with labels and such.

Snowboarding in armor. Now this will be epic!

Haha, I think I'll need to build it out of something sturdy, or first crash and I'll wind up impaled on chunks of fibreglass!

Honestly; being a geek/nerd/whateveryouwannacallit is a good thing. This stigma on being intellectual is entirely self-perceived, and in most circumstances, built out of outdated social observations. Being a nerd or geek doesn't immediately make you socially inept, physically impotent, or dexterously incapable. That said, having an affinity for making costumes isn't really going to put anyone in the ballpark of being a nerd or geek, but spending hours and hours researching how to do something properly, or how to make something, or in our case, reproduce something form a fictional universe with almost obsessive attention to detail, will shunt you into the category very quickly. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; remember, nerds rule the world.

I, personally consider myself quite a bit of an intellectual, a philosopher of sorts, along with a total nerd, technogeek, and renfaire-freak. That said, take a look at my signature. Now also consider the fact that I make quite a bit more than most people from my age-group, doing something that I really enjoy.

To quote my 3 year old baby sister; "Being smart is awesome."

Men and there Hobby's. Some men build classic cars, while others get into wood working. Me, well I get into building near movie quality props and SF/X makeup. The Halo project is just that. A prop to show what I can do with a ream of paper, a bottle of glue and a gallon of Smooth Cast 321 (resin) Its a Hobby That you define. It in its self dose not define you. As for nerd or geek at the age of 42, I wish I was half as smart as the people whom get called those name maybe then I wouldn't have to put my life on the line every day to make a living. So just remember people make fun of things they don't understand and/or are afraid of. Me I give them something to be VERY afraid of. So if you're the brains in you're hood give them something they can't under stand.

Well, let see in HS I played football, and ran track. When into the Navy for 23 years, retired from that. Then got into law Enforcement, retired from that. Now I play, and put on 24 hour paintball games. I like to build cool props for my games, plus I just like working with my hands. I'm I a nerd/geek, not to me. Just a big kid who likes to play, and make big toys for "FUN".

With the internet bringing people together who have all manner of interests and hobbies, being a "nerd" or being into something that's not quite mainstream, is no longer a niche thing.

It used to be that nerds had to explain their interests to people who've never heard of such things, and of course, due to ignorance, those people usually made fun of what they didn't understand. Now, most people have heard of everything thru the internet, or are at least aware that the internet brings like-minded people into forums and communities.

This means that your average non-nerd or "cool guy" knows that if you make Halo armor, you're probably not alone in this interest and probably are part of a community of Halo armor-makers. The more asinine "cool people," -the ones that put down, or make fun of interests like this, are the ones that are out of the loop, out of touch and frankly, are becoming the minority.

Nerdy stuff and mainstream (accepted) things have been increasingly overlapping for that last decade. The basement-dwelling, D&D-playing, non girlfriend-having stereotypes are going away. Now, you're either socially inept or socially adept. Dones't matter if you LARP on the weekends.

BOTTOM LINE: You're only a nerd if you think you're a nerd, or worry about whether or not you're a nerd. ;)

I pride myself on being a geek, I'm 43 years old and I've taken part in a lot of nerdy things in my years like AD&D, LARP, Paintball, LaserTag and more recently (last 22 years to be precise) I've been into Battle Re-enactment with real weapons and armour (yes I'm English so use the correct spelling :p) however I've recently got back into costume making and just love the stuff you guys and gals are making. I was even a nerd before the internet existed when I used to play Chess and was beaten up daily at school by the cool kids (read bullies) who now look at me with a wonderous tear in their eyes and wishing that they were as cool as I am today ;)

In the immortal words of Dylan Moran "Men never really grow up, with one hand down their trousers and the other up their nose they just get taller"

Some of my friends say I am, but they just screw with me... I think. Then again, a lot of people say it's awesome, so I guess it balances out. I wouldn't consider myself a nerd though, more so a craftsman.

yeah maybe we are "nerds", but at least we'll have valuable skills when its all said and done. Plus we'll all be part of a community of people who like the same things as us and love the same hobby ;) . I have a few friends that think what i do is cool and others say its lame and i'm a nolife dude, nerd it's all been said. But i don't care i love making armor and props plus it's not the only thing i do, i make this stuff when i'm alone, it's not like i'm not gonna go to my friends house because i wanna make some armor. Thankyou for letting me blab on for a while i hope you got my drift comrades ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back