Props Tactonyx M392 DMR

What should Tactonyx's next project be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I know the feeling. Kinda like having the super glue smell stuck in your nose. I swear it feels like my nose hairs shrivil up when I get a good dose of vapor. I can't imagine why anyone would want to get high off that stuff, it's about the same as snorting oleoresin capsicum.

I'm proud to present my completed gun: The Armalite M392 Designated Marksman Rifle 7.62x51mm HEIAP
DMR+Promo.jpg

DMR+Promo+2.jpg

I will have more detailed pics up tommorow. Enjoy

DMR+Promo.jpg

DMR+Promo+2.jpg

Wow, that looks great! Can't wait to see the more detailed pics cause that is a work of art worthy of museum status. Great work.

That DMR is flippin sweet!!! I would so like to have one. It's my favorite Halo gun for sure. Outstanding job to both you and Brandon. Excellent!

Thanks everyone, your comments are greatly appreciated.
I got some more pics of the DMR, showing off some of the details that aren't easily seen.

Here's a oblique view of the DMR, showing off the bussiness end
Tactonyx+DMR+015.JPG

Here's a closeup of the scope. WHat I was trying to accomplish here was making the scope appear as thought it were made from entirely different materials from that of the DMR. I gave the scope a newer look and a darker color scheme. A Misriah brand scope on a Armalite brand rifle.
Tactonyx+DMR+016.JPG

In this picture, I wanted to show different colors of the materials. The foregrip I painted a dark blue gray "bruise" color to give it a more plastic feel and look. The heat shields were done in "evil chocolate parkerize" brown, suggesting that this was designed specifically to handle excess heat. The plating on the front of the electronics suite I made darker than the upper reciever to make it look like it was newer and replaced teh carrying handle teh DMR may have had.
Tactonyx+DMR+013.JPG

This part of the DMR turned out awesome, though the wear around the mag release didn't do what I wanted it to. But still, it works. The grip was also done in the same plastic blue that I used for the foregrip. The lower reciever and extractor has three different shades of dark gray, giving more imppression of depth. The baseplate on the mag was done in a darker blue gray like the grips, once again giving the impression that the mag is an entirely different brand from that of the DMR. The tag that identifies the gun as a DMR and it's function and serial number, was printed out on a peice of paper and glued to some posterboard. I painted the edges a dark gray and superglued it to the lower reciever.
Tactonyx+DMR+008.JPG

The grip is a combo of metel plates and the plastic grip. I gave the metel plates a heavily worn look as though the gun has been handled thousands of times, the plastic grip still looks plasticky. The scope controls in front of the trigger, once again I tried to give it a "add on" look to show that it wasn't manufactured with the gun.
As a request from the late Mathieu, I spattered Elite blood at the base of the grip.
Tactonyx+DMR+001.JPG

Here we are looking straight into the scope. I used a "pale" US Army helo drab as the background of the sights. I used an old CD case, cut it to dimensions of the scope, and stuck a decal on the plastic and glued it into place. The picture doesn't do it justice on how awesome it is. I am very dissapointed in the ammo counter. The plastic screen is very crooked and the numbers aren't as bright as they are on my other DMR. I also had a lot of problems with bubbles on the cast, so it's pretty tough looking. Sadly there is no longer a rush for sending the DMR out, so I think I will go back and fix this.
Tactonyx+DMR+011.JPG

It took me about four day's to paint the DMR with spraypaint, airbrush, paintbrush, fingerpainting and powdering. I think I used 25 different colors to paint this beast. I will be making a Acrylic Painting and Airbrushing tut, using this DMR as the subject, so expect to see that sometime here in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my DMR, and I'm glad you guy's are enjoying the pics thus far. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcomed.
Tactonyx+DMR+007.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+015.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+016.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+013.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+008.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+001.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+011.JPG

Tactonyx+DMR+007.JPG

Thanks
I'm now casting my DMR. I'm experimenting in pouring it so I can get resin into all the details without worrying about bubbles. Most likely this will end in disaster, but if it works, I'll have a sweet looking, albiet ivory colored, DMR. If no one's willing to take it, I'll probably give it a desert camo setup. That might be cool. Standby for cast...

Hey, you said you make these out of PVC foam board yes? is that like polystyrene foamcore boards?
If so, how to you cut it without getting a chundered up edge?

Nope. It's nothing like the polystyrene boards. Working with both, I prefer the PVC expanded foamboard over the foamcore, it's like working with wood, except it's more awesome and less allergenic. As for the polystyrene, I usually put white glue on the chattered edge and stick a sheet of regular printer paper, and trim it up with a razor, and if at all possible, sand it with 200 grit sandpaper. But the stuff I currently use is faster and easier to work with over foamcore, except it's more expensive.

I've stayed up very late playing around with the mold Brandon McClain made for me, and my little experiment was a success, kinda. Before putting both halves together to mold the DMR, I mixed a small batch of resin and poured it into the troublespots, and used a toothpick to get the bubbles out. With this DMR I put in too much resin in before the actual cast, so it's a little funky. But with a little bit of sanding, it'll be good as new.

Here's my cast.
DMR+Cast+002.JPG

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I got the front sights to come out perfectly on this cast.

DMR+Cast+003.JPG

DMR+Cast+004.JPG

I'm quite happy with it. Once again, thanks goes out to Brandon for making the mold.
As usual, any questions, comments, critiques are welcomed.

DMR+Cast+002.JPG

DMR+Cast+003.JPG

DMR+Cast+004.JPG

oh mama, me likey... me likey alot! Seriously though, nice work on the cast.

i see, i may have to look into this PVC foamboard stuff. It looks like something i might be able to work with :)

And thats looking real good. rreeaaallll goood =D

Thanks for the comments guy's.
I'd thought I'd share this, a member over at Legacy Effects, who participated in making "We are ODST'" and "Deliver hope" trailers, said this about my DMR: "Sooooo much better than the ones we made for the commercial ...Ours was printed out by a computer and the detail wasn't anywhere near as clean..." I think that's pretty cool, exceeding that of a screen used prop

Thanks for the comments guy's.
I'd thought I'd share this, a member over at Legacy Effects, who participated in making "We are ODST'" and "Deliver hope" trailers, said this about my DMR: "Sooooo much better than the ones we made for the commercial ...Ours was printed out by a computer and the detail wasn't anywhere near as clean..." I think that's pretty cool, exceeding that of a screen used prop
That's awesome! How did an LE guy get a hold of your rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back