Thermoforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deputy Dog

Jr Member
Just wondering if anyone had any knowlegde of where I could get good plans to build a thermoforming/ vaccum forming machine?

FYI: DO NOT use a Food oven to heat your plastic, when the plastic softens it also releases a toxic plastic vapor and it will coat the inside of your oven. and if you use it to cook food afterwords the vapor will absorb into the food.

FYI: DO NOT use a Food oven to heat your plastic, when the plastic softens it also releases a toxic plastic vapor and it will coat the inside of your oven. and if you use it to cook food afterwords the vapor will absorb into the food.

What if you cover the inside of the oven with aluminum foil? will that help?

I've seen alot of people use their kitchen oven to do this kinda stuff, its strange that there has not been, as far as i have seen, warnings about this. I thought styrene was non toxic. I have never herd of this being a issue, until now. Wait, maybe your thinking of a microwave oven and not the big full fledged oven.

I've seen alot of people use their kitchen oven to do this kinda stuff, its strange that there has not been, as far as i have seen, warnings about this. I thought styrene was non toxic. I have never herd of this being a issue, until now. Wait, maybe your thinking of a microwave oven and not the big full fledged oven.

Polystyrene is a plastic, non-toxic and doesn't really care about microwaves. When you burn it, especially under "at home" conditions, some nasty stuff can be released that you really don't want to breathe. I couldn't find many resources saying that fumes can be released when you heat it up without setting it on fire, so I'm not sure about that.

Styrene is a solvent (i.e. liquid) and the main reason you got that fancy respirator for working with polyester resin.

Polystyrene is a plastic, non-toxic and doesn't really care about microwaves. When you burn it, especially under "at home" conditions, some nasty stuff can be released that you really don't want to breathe. I couldn't find many resources saying that fumes can be released when you heat it up without setting it on fire, so I'm not sure about that.

Styrene is a solvent (i.e. liquid) and the main reason you got that fancy respirator for working with polyester resin.

Oh, ok then.

Hello all. I have a 6 Ft.X10 Ft.former and I have benn looking for some CAD files to make my molds so I could make my armor to go trick or treating with my kids for the past 2 years. I need the help with the files, so who needs help with the armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back