Reach UNSC Trooper WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks pretty darn good. it's nice to see someone using something other than pepakura to build some armour. i really like where this is going. keep up the good work.

OMG seriously i'm loving this build wow... just pure win and awesomeness and yeah thanks for mentioning the type of paint that you used for the shoulders man :D

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the positive comments and it motivates me to do more. Hopefully I'll have some updates to post later on today. :)

Nice, everyone else always wants to be a spartan. im going to be doing ODST and Marine stuff, and alot of them use the same parts.

Thanks Akademee and Toacrabman! Yeah, it's good to have an actual 3d reference of the subject. My next project may very well be an ODST armor.

HELMET UPDATE:

I had some time to attach the helmet wall using a thin ABS sheet that I super glued to the foam helmet base. What I did was use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut grooves along the bottom rim of the helmet going from ear to ear. Then I slipped the thin ABS sheet into the grooves curving around the back to the other side. I then used paper mache' to give the wall some volume. I learned that using bondo directly on ABS, results in the ABS sheet to come loose or peel-off thus leaving the bondo vulnerable to cracking and breaking off. This is the reason for using the paper mache' base before bondo since the paper mache' actually sticks to the ABS better than bondo.

So, I applied the bondo after the mache' base cured to give the wall strength. In this picture, I haven't sanded the bondo layer yet and top still needs a lot of work, but I just wanted to give you guys an update on the helmet. Included in the pictures is a partially pepped right ear from Lee's unfolded Reach Trooper helmet, which I will resin, FG and bondo then attach to the helmet. Here are pics of the helmet on a foam dummy head.

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01329.jpg
    DSC01329.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC01328.jpg
    DSC01328.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01330.jpg
    DSC01330.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC01331.jpg
    DSC01331.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC01332.jpg
    DSC01332.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 191
Wow man love the way your building the helm, its very creative not to mention your awesome fabbing skills 2 thumbs up ill be checking on thisone

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I want to sand this helmet so badly, but I hate sanding by hand. I am waiting to get a Dremel Multimax to make sanding easier for this kind of project. So, I'll probably have another update later on this week.

835531e0-a70f-4327-a734-9a6a0f53f709_300.jpg

Attachments

• 835531e0-a70f-4327-a734-9a6a0f53f709_300.jpg
    835531e0-a70f-4327-a734-9a6a0f53f709_300.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 192
TD! IM LOVING IT! LOVING IT! Did i mention IM LOVING IT?! Keep up the Awesome-Fantastic-SuperDuper work!

SprayNoob

God i love these forums, You learn so much. I must say that your armor is coming along nicely. I love your freehand work. The method your using for the helmet is genious. I will definatly have to try that. Keep up the great work. Im looking foreward to seeing this one done

Thanks Spraynoob and Jack7226! I haven't been able to work on my armor as of late since I've been busy with holiday shopping, my kid's school work and their holiday programs. Here are a couple of pics of the helmet with a layer of MH Ready Patch which has been sanded since but I haven't taken pics of it yet.
DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

I received this in the mail which I will be using for my three chest mounted mag cases.
ACC-MAGCASE-BLACK-4.jpg

I am also thinking of getting one of these to strip it down and fabricate my own AR Reach body instead. I'm guessing that Bungie based the AR from the same bullpup type design of the real SA80 assault rifle.
btn_spring-sa80-rifle-fps-360-electronic-sight-flashlight-airsoft-gun.jpg

Assault_Rifle_left2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01334.jpg
    DSC01334.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01333.jpg
    DSC01333.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Assault_Rifle_left2.jpg
    Assault_Rifle_left2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 171
Man, I'm really liking the bicycle helmet base for your build. I think I'm going to have to look into doing that on my next run. Certainly be more sturdy that a pure pep build.

Awesome work my friend :) The helmet is starting to look ace!

Just wanted to say also, with the SA80, there may be a few things you may want to consider.
If you intend to keep it as a functional airsoft rifle (im assuming it would be airsoft you'd use) then be aware that the gearbox stretches most of the way through the buttstock, so shaving the back end down to the size of the AR would most likely involve taking the gearbox out. If you aren't having it functional that wouldn't be a big issue though. And also, the AR's upper receiver is all straight throughout the body of the rifle, while the SA80's tapers at an angle, which could be a hinderance. Just food for thought :)

Anyway, again, great work!

- X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back