cheapest molding and casting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well-

This video should help you out with molding-

As for casting, smooth-cast is GREAT! I suggest smooth-cast 320 (off-white, easier to pigment) or smooth-cast 300 (bright white) . Casting resin MUST be used outside with proper ventilation. Smooth-cast is non-toxic ( most products) and is a easy 2 part mix. Hope that helped-

Jacob

For more help, I would suggest contacting a senior member, or go to the noob form under the stickies. Spase has posted 'help' threads for all kinds of help!

Last edited by a moderator:
this is wierd about 1 hour ago i started looking into moulding as well
i also suffer with the problem of everything on this site being about american products

I personally haven't tried the following materials, but I have been meaning to try them.
For a mold I plan on using 100% silicon caulk, and fiberglass and resin for the mother mold.
For the casting part itself I was going to use a 75/25 ratio for a resin/bondo mixture.
Hope this was useful

this is wierd about 1 hour ago i started looking into moulding as well
i also suffer with the problem of everything on this site being about american products

I Think that there are Sites in the UK Called Moldlife And one called topps, Not sure.

Im wanting to use molding to make a copy of my helmet and I need it to be economical. I to, am wanting to use silicone calking for the mold however I'm wanting to use smoothcast resin for the cast (probably 300-320)
To do this I will need a few questions answered by someone with a little experience on the topic:

Is water sufficient to keep the calking from sticking to bondo,paint ect? or do i need somthing else?
Will there be any unwanted chemical reactions between smoothcast and the silicone?
Will the trial size order of smoothcast be able to make one standard mark VI helmet cast?
How thick does SmoothCast have to be to have the strength equivilant of 1 layer of fiberglass?

Any help on these subjects would be greatly appreciated :D
-Gryphon

I was wondering if this work:
use caulk around the model fibre glass resin on the outside and for the cast use a mix of bondo and resin

That should work Bomb.
I've used colorplace brand silicone caulk on a few toys and stuff for molds and used rondo to cast.
good luck with your mold

No expert, and never tried wall plaster before, but if it was sealed, it might make an okay mold... however, since it's stiff, you'd probably have to make it into a two piece or more mold... maybe just try it on something small first?
I could be wrong with all this, but with my little bit of experience, I think it's worth experimenting with.

Oh, and srry for the double post guys, but plaster IS a decent mold for casting low-temp metals... just make sure the plaster mold has absolutely NO moisture in it before you pour the metal in, or the mold might explode... yeah, planning on making some 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick aluminum armor and etc, maybe using something like this method... I'll post my results when I finally get my first piece done!

I would think that vacuu-forming is the cheapest way. I think there is a youtube video showing how to make your own vacuu-former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back