Fallout New Vegas, NCR Veteran Ranger Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the advice guys! and the support, i'm getting pretty excited about this project.

Sumofl, yeah, you're right about that, but i'm not going for accuracy for the in-game designs, i'm trying to keep to the CG trailer and promo art, in which it looks like the helmet and riot armor are from the same "stock" and thus have the same rough color.
thanks for warning me about that though! if i were going for the in-game, i'd have made a big mistake!

I think it looks amazing. The reason you feel like you r missing something is because you haven't done the eyes yet, once you do them it will be completed. I think the glowing eyes is a huge part to the mask.

Ithica
I agree that the eyes are all you need and it will be done. I think if you add anymore it'll be to much. What you have now sir is a near perfect costume and I think it looks amazing. I can't wait to see some pics of you wearing this! Mega Ultra Super Job!

ay,
was laboring over something not quite right 'bout the helmet,
well with the helpfull comment of a friend, i took a bit off the rim, and now it looks alot more like the shape it should.

PB010695.jpg

i've gone for adding a healthy coat of grim to the parts,
this shot really shows the different colors i've lightly misted across the parts.

PB010697.jpg

this is a tradition of mine.
i'm not a fallout 3 fan, that is to say, i didn't START with fallout 3, i'm an original fan, and while i enjoyed F3, the number 13 holds a special place in my heart, as anyone who enjoyed the first two games i'm sure will agree.
so i make a point of including this number on every fallout costume i do (i've done a vault dweller before as well)

i'll also be adding a few more kill marks on the helmet as well.

PB010698.jpg

tthis shot is more of a tester,
i've got a few issues with it right now.
i'll be adding some chemical to the lens to stop them fogging up on me.
i'll be painting the rim of the helmet, and it's also on slightly crooked, and taken from an angle where my photographer was sitting while i was standing.
but you get the general idea of how everything is coming together.
PB010700.jpg

red glow will be added later, not for this con. as i didnt have the funds to order the EL wire till today, and that's not enough time to get them shipped and installed.

Attachments

• PB010695.jpg
    PB010695.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 352
  • PB010697.jpg
    PB010697.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 236
  • PB010700.jpg
    PB010700.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 214
  • PB010698.jpg
    PB010698.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 332
Well I haven't tried it with very small stencils but I have printed my own from my computer and just cut them with an exacto knife. It's best to use card stock or at least thick paper so it doesn't fall apart and you get better edges.

Good, but I think you need to put either a Black or chromed visor behind the red lens with the EL wire in between, and scuff the outer parts of the lens with some varying grits of sand paper. :)

hey is one of the issues how the helmet looks the same color as the mask. (oh and are you going to do the hole in the back of the duster where back of the armor sticks out a little.) now i relize that it could be the camera or the picture or some thing but in my personal, oppinion blues and metal colors dont mix they look to simalar usually its the grey blues. but you sir are obligated to do what ever you feel nessicary or what ever appeals to you. so do what ever you feel and please dont add any more it's fantasic enough as it is stick with what ever you had planned for it.

Dude, this is some pretty sick stuff. And im new to all this, and i was wonderin how you got the foam or something, plse

Kommissar, I think your helmet's off color, the in game model is an olive color.

RangerCombatArmor.png

I totally agree with this, not for perfect game accurate, which is less fun that a little personalized, but it woul maje it look more put together, less "stock" or maybe just a little better, its gonna be hard to get painters tape on all those details first though.

Attachments

• RangerCombatArmor.png
    RangerCombatArmor.png
    895.2 KB · Views: 549
i'm really comfortable with the current color of the helm and armor, though i do appreciate everyones input.
the build is going great, i've been working on the hand and arm plates, as well as the actual sewing.
sewing isnt exciting to look at in pictures though. so i'm not sharing anything right now.

Sewing may not be exciting, but updates are. Show us what you're doing Kommissar!

Edit: How are you connecting the helmet to the mask?

Sewing may not be exciting, but updates are. Show us what you're doing Kommissar!

Edit: How are you connecting the helmet to the mask?

they actually fit together without any connections,
the mask pops inside the helmet, and the elastic straps i rigged, keep the mask in place, and the helmet just goes on over the top.

its coming along great. The only thing im really dis liking is the switch on the side of the helmet light. Why didnt you hide it?

why didn't i hide it? because it looks retro and awesome, that's why.
i picked the switch because it looked good and would be visible.
sorry it doesn't fit with your opinion of fallout though :(

oh god i look like some kind of offender with the spandex hood on.. i need to add mesh to the eyes..

sewing pics are boring, so i'v omitted them, instead, actual progress to see for the coat!!
PB060671-1.jpg

the sleeves need shortening, and the rain cape needs adding, but it's all coming together.
i think i may put wire into the collar.. but i'm not sure.

PB060672.jpg

PB060673.jpg

PB060674.jpg

PB060675.jpg

PB060676.jpg

found a plastic pistol that looks alot like the ranger sequoia (sp?) for honorable service pistol, needs alot of detail added, but it does have the leafy swirls all over it, so it's a great start.
needs painting, and wont be ready for the 7th, but it was an awesome deal for a buck.

Attachments

• PB060674.jpg
    PB060674.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 402
  • PB060673.jpg
    PB060673.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PB060672.jpg
    PB060672.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 255
  • PB060671-1.jpg
    PB060671-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 272
  • PB060676.jpg
    PB060676.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 409
  • PB060675.jpg
    PB060675.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 352
Kommissar, I'm new to the forum here and just starting my cosplay hobby. When I first saw the NCR Veteran Ranger I wanted to create one of my own as it is a really cool costume. I've just gotta say, WOW, you have done some really impressive work with yours! I am just starting my costume, but I'll be happy if it looks half as good as yours. Great work man! You're definitely inspiring me a lot. I plan to make mine as original as possible in my own way, but I hope you wouldn't mind if I used a few of your ideas.

What cons do you plan on attending this year?

Kommissar, I'm new to the forum here and just starting my cosplay hobby. When I first saw the NCR Veteran Ranger I wanted to create one of my own as it is a really cool costume. I've just gotta say, WOW, you have done some really impressive work with yours! I am just starting my costume, but I'll be happy if it looks half as good as yours. Great work man! You're definitely inspiring me a lot. I plan to make mine as original as possible in my own way, but I hope you wouldn't mind if I used a few of your ideas.

What cons do you plan on attending this year?

you want to make it as original as you can, but your using my ideas? :p sorry that comment made me chuckle, but i get what you mean.
thank for you the compliment!
i'll be attending Anime LA (from today onwards) SDCC, perhaps PAX, and maybe AX.. not sure.

No time for descriptions, off to the con in two or so hours, and going to be hand stitching a few parts on the way!

PB080677.jpg

PB080678.jpg

PB080679.jpg

PB080681.jpg

PB080682.jpg

PB080685.jpg

PB080684.jpg

PB080686.jpg

PB080687.jpg

Attachments

• PB080678.jpg
    PB080678.jpg