Halo Tech vs. Other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK based on what I have read I can finally say this: in a showdown between gordon freeman, a sc2 marine, a spartan, a jedi, a combine elite, a captain picard/kirk, it would mainly be down between the jedi, gordon, and the spartan, gordon being the first to go (sad to say) then the spartan next (also sad to say) leaving the jedi (not to hard to say saying I'm a sw nerd)

technology wise: high charity, halo, combine tech, sc2 tech, deathstar, enterpise A-E, Its a battle between starwars and halo. halo would win though do to more advance shielding tech and the fact that halo can kill any thinking thing within 25000 lightyears.

to clear up some questions: a lightsaber can in fact cut through everything listed (yes, it can cut through the spartans shields) The reason why the forerunners died out was due to the fact that you can "destroy" the flood completley without starving it to death (without a new human body, a infected form would die after its body fell apart (probably due to age)) and thus created halo, the ark, and onyx. after preserving all the living races besides themselves, they activated halo before they could reach onyx do to the flood.

finaly, in a bloody war between all, halo would win hands down. halo would kill them all (except for the forerunners/other halo people who hid in onyx)

SizeCompareFrigFlyFalc.png

So, I shopped Frigate Savannah, Firefly-class Serenity, and YT-1300 class LF Millennium Falcon into a single image, in scale with each other, at 1 pixel per foot. (At full size) These Frigates are the tinies of the UNSC Navy. Holy sonuva-

Anyway, I don't see how you can say, for definite, that a lightsaber could cut through the shielding and armor of a Spartan. Lightsabers use heat to melt, boil, and immolate the targeted object until it gives way. Lightsabers are also seen to fail, be ineffective against shielding, and more so against dense materials. If a Spartan weighs 1000 pounds in his armor, that's very dense armor. Even if a lightsaber could puncture the shields, it would take extended exposure to the armor, to cut it. In that time, even were it split seconds, a Spartan could easily overpower any Jedi, through brute force.

Beyond that, though, Spartans can use long-range combat tactics, such as kinetic energy weapons, that Jedi don't have access to.

The Halo Array is designed as the single, most Pyrrhic weapon ever developed. It utterly decimates the enemy's forces, at the cost of literally every sentient being within the galaxy. Pyrrhic, and with great civilian collateral damage. By the time one fires Halo, they have already lost their war, a hundred times over. In a bloody war between sci-fi universes, Halo would have to lose before it could fire its death ray and win, and even then, nobody would win, because the array kills everything. Even hiding out in slipspace didn't seem to do anything, because to get to slipspace requires access to a craft capable of sustaining you indefinitely within it. That means, essentially, Shield Worlds. No Forerunner made it to them, because by the time they were actually thinking of using the array, the space around them was thickly occupied by enemies.

I would have to say, in the brutal, bloody end, Halo does win, but it wins in losing.

Still, I'd rather have this be a battle of technologies, rather than military might or sentient/sapient cost.

Attachments

• SizeCompareFrigFlyFalc.png
    SizeCompareFrigFlyFalc.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 138
tachnically, halo would still win, by winning. the forerunners categorized every sentient being in the galaxy. though it would take mellinias to rebiuld, and centuries to identify and reverse engineer the tech from the thousands of delirect ships, halo would still win in a all out engagement.
and technically, ships can technically remain indefinitley in slipspace, as long as they have nav data, and power to transition in and out. the problems are food, water and, matenance. people have been known to vanish while working on shaw-fujikawa translight engines.
i also say that if lightsabers use heat, a single plate of ultra-hardend ceramic would suffice to stop it. and a well placed 8gauge MAG would be enough to stop a attentive jedi in his onslaught.
Oh, and don't forget about the SPARTANs and halsey. They're living in a micro dyson sphere.

The problem with remaining indefinitely in slipspace is, as you said, maintenance, and supplies. No UNSC or even Covenant vessel (High Charity, aside) has the supply capacity to maintain an entire crew for very long, hence cryogenic freezing during long trips. It still leaves the issue of fuel, which, during extended high-power slipspace jumps, would run out in the reactors, and cause STP (Slip Termination - Preventable). Beyond that, maintenance. To safely work on one, it has to be disengaged and removed from its mounts. That means you gotta leave slipspace. To reinstall one takes more care than one can have in one ship, without extensive maintenance facilities, otherwise you could find yourself "teleported to oblivion". Again, the only non-Forerunner exception is High Charity, but that's a Covenant vessel that relies on a Forerunner dreadnought, anyway.

Of course, there are the Shield Worlds. Artificial planets containing slipspace portals to Micro (possibly full-scale) Dyson Spheres, held within slipspace, and therefore, out of the range of the Halo Array. The problem is, to activate the Halos, one would have to be on a Halo, or the Ark. The Ark is theoretically out of the effective range of the Array, but then, being as there are so many places, now, out of the Array's range, Halo's effectiveness can be averted, if there is any movement to the Ark, or a Shield World, prior to firing, as the enemy would follow, at least in some force, and that would leave some enemies alive, meaning the Halo universe wouldn't win in a massive war. Further, it seems the Flood found their way aboard some of the Shield Worlds, if anything from Halo Wars is to be considered canon.

Still, though, you had a good point about Categorization. But, 100,000 years is a long time. It's still a very pyrrhic victory, to kill the entire galactic sentient population, then force them to restart their entire evolution, from the course of the 100,000 years between Halo's firing and the Human-Covenant War. To win by losing to your own means of attack.

Anyway, you see my point about Jedi, yes? Their tactics and weapons don't bode them well against Spartans.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered. The Millenium Falcon, (Or any YT-1300, really) is small enough to dock inside a Frigate's main hangar, just as a Frigate is small enough to dock inside an Assault Carrier's main hangar. That's a crazy craziness.

SchizophrenicMC; good points on the slug throwers... but the confederacy did create droids specifically to combat Jedi. I'm thinking of the ones that first show up in Republic Commando with the melee tools. Proto-Grievous kinda guys, if you will. Kicking out a few more droids specifically aimed at taking out the Jedi would be nothing in the grand scheme of things - not with the resources the Confederacy is shown to have in the movies. I'm more than willing to admit that it may just be a fact of 'it was cool and made sense in the books, but Lucas didn't care to put it in the official canon' because he does that everywhere else.

From my understanding, slug throwers are extremely premitive? I only know from what I've read in the Han Solo books or the lone board game book I bought on weapons. May be mis-remembering. But I remember bolt-action hunting rifles and the equivalent of flintlock weapons?

I don't believe a Spartan would be any heavier or stronger than a super battle droid? Would a Spartan be able to take out some of the Jedi? Sure. The elite of the Jedi vs the elite of the Spartans? It depends on the Jedi. And it depends on which rules of the Force we're allowing in here. If it's everything, the Jedi could frak with the Spartan's mind before s/he got anywhere close to the Jedi. Jedi are also quite alright at being aware of their surroundings and not squishing themselves historically. They just operate on a completely different level - it's really not a fair comparison. I'm with keeping it out of this particular thread.

As far as Basestars - if I implied they were endless, sorries. I meant that the Cylon forces themselves were, and they inarguably are unless the resurrection ships are destroyed. Also, you can't ignore the reimagined series in a discussion like this :p (I like both series, btw.. Dug the original when it was in reruns and enjoyed the newer one as well). Where are you getting the info that they're smaller than the Covie ships? Just curious to see numbers.

Slugthrowers are said to be any weapon that fires a solid projectile, using a chemical explosive, so they essentially amount to any gun, today. I seem to recall something about rifling in a book with a slugthrower, and something about Aurra Sing using it against Jedi, in another book.

Based on the size of the B2 Super Battle Droid, and my assumptions, based on their combat performance, and the properties of Durasteel, I would say they are indeed lighter weight, due to thinner, lighter armor, and the lack of a human operator, equipped with Ceramic Carbide ossified skeleton. Knowing the construction of MJOLNIR armor is primarily Titanium-A and Ceramic battleplate, its density is fairly massive, contributing to the 1000-lb mark. Based on the times we see B2s, they move fairly slowly, and have very limited reaction time, and don't even get me started on the B1 or OOM. Given this, it's perfectly understandable that Jedi can wipe out legions of them, especially considering they don't use large, explosive, or slugthrown weapons. However, Spartans have greater reaction times, use slugged weapons, move very quickly, and, well, are intelligent. Besides that, their armor is denser and capable of sustaining much more damage. You have to admit that much, at least.

On the mental note, the Force only seems to be able to sway the will of the weak-minded, not cause mental trauma- at least not the light side, and no one said Dark Jedi or Sith. Beyond that, even if Spartans were weak-minded (Okay, maybe Carter), the Force Mind Trick only seems to work at close range. Really, that leaves Force Push and Pull for light Jedi. (Choke and Lightning, also, for Dark Jedi) Even if it were a dark Jedi, using Force Choke, that relies on crushing the windpipe, but given the capabilities, both of protection, and of medicine, the MJOLNIR armor contains, I doubt that would have great effect. Then, there's Force Lightning, but the energy shielding of MJOLNIR is known to be able to absorb damage from plasma, which is all lightning is. The Force, essentially, then, at least in the combative hands of a Jedi, has little effect on the performance of a Spartan supersoldier.

Basestar: Width rated at 1030.7m
Covenant Assault Carrier: Length: 5346m

While I disagree with the story content of the RIS, I must admit they remained true to scale, and, well, the OS page didn't have a size figure. In any case, the Covenant have greater firepower, FTL capabilities to move closer than the defense systems of a ship can protect against, and the sheer will to decimate any foe. Robotic cylons have no chance. The thing is, Cylon footsoldiers do no good against a space-faring armada of Covenant. The only reason your "human" Cylons that needed the resurrection ships (god, a stupid concept) in the first place is, the humanoid Cylons were spies. That tactic has no water with the Covenant.

On the Jedi-fighting droid note, are you taking about IG-100 Magnaguard? (I haven't played Republic Commando) If you are, note that they're limited-production units that were fielded as guard and spec-ops units for commanders, not the main force, and Jedi had trouble fighting them, though their long-range combat capacities against Jedi were never shown. They weren't designed for anti-Jedi combat. In fact, it was an existing design, prior to the Clone Wars. They were designed as guard droids for high-level personnel, specifically Grievous.

WOW, this is one hell of a thread, I'm not even going to bother going in on this because i don't have much general knowledge in some of the sci-fi series getting knocked about, but im going to put my money down on Halo.

Unless that MJOLNIR is made from cortosis the Jedi will own John's arse I'm afraid. And those shields don't block energy swords, so a lightsaber will have no problem with that either. Slugs (solid bullets rather then plasma/laser based) would just be melted on contact with a lightsaber, so no upsides there. Also, they could use the force to throw John around or break the electronics in his suit.
Let's examine this claim for a minute. In the films you can see a laser bolt's flight path, which means it is traveling at about 300 feet per second. A typical .223 or 5.56 NATO round fired from an AR15/M16/M4 travels at about 2500 ft/sec. On full-auto, a user can empty a 30 round magazine in 3 seconds. That means, in 3 seconds a Jedi will have to deal with 30 rounds all traveling at about 2500 ft/sec. To be fair, recoil will cause some of these rounds to travel outside the Jedi's danger zone. Using the force, the Jedi will be able to eliminate some, but not all of the rounds.

The speed of sound is 1126 ft/sec. The speed of light is 300,000 km/sec. or about 186,000 miles/sec. If these blaster rifles were firing real lasers, they would be traveling at the speed of light. Recoil wouldn't be an issue since the user is basically shining light, so accuracy would be constant. A Jedi would have very little chance defeating a Storm Trooper firing real laser bolts, and would have no chance defeating multiple storm troopers. But, since the flight path is visible on the screen, the lasers are clearly not traveling the speed of light, which makes one wonder, are they really lasers or some sort of plasma bolt?

Given these facts (mixed with opinion), I think a Spartan would have some advantage over a Jedi at some distance, but as you say, at close range a Jedi would win hands down.

I have to point out blasters don't fire lasers, but operate on the same principle as Covenant plasma weapons, firing a ball of superheated plasma. That's why you see it, and that's why blasters run out of ammo, because they rely on a power pack and a container of gas to superheat and direct.

Spartans would have a definite advantage over Jedi at a distance, but wouldn't be so disadvantaged at close range, as you say, again, because of their MJOLNIR armor and the strength it provides. At close range, a Spartan could punch a hole in a Jedi. Even if a lightsaber could quickly compromise the dense hardened ceramic plating and Titanium-A, it wouldn't be able to sustain that for a slash across, but a stab, through. Assuming the hole a lightsaber leaves is no greater than the lightsaber's blade diameter, the biofoam injectors aboard the armor would keep the Spartan alive and well, plenty after he dealt a death blow with a fist. Look at Emile. He took two prongs from a Covenant energy sword through the gut, and still managed to stab and kill the Sangheili wielding it. Sorry, but Jedi don't stand a chance against supersoldiers.

Again, though, THE FALCON CAN DOCK INSIDE A FRIGATE WHAT THE HELL

I never said the Cylons could dispose of the covenant. Just that they might have a common interest in activating the halos. The Covenant want to activate them because of their religion, the Cylons want to eradicate humans. If the rings were activated all sentient life would die, but the Cylons, not being life forms, would survive, remaining the supreme beings in the galaxy. Cylon centurions WOULD have the advantage over covenant ground forces, due to strength and firepower.

I think the real issue in this discussion of Jedi vs. Spartan is, as noted, the inclusion of the force. A powerful Jedi (or more like, Sith) learned well in the ways of the force would be able to win the fight hands down. But as pointed out, this is a discussion on technology comparisons. If it were, say, a non-force-sensitive (i.e. normal) human who KNEW how to use a lightsaber (which is a possible, if not INCREDIBLY difficult skill to attain), versus the average Spartan, the Spartan would win incredibly easily.

Basically, it, would be the equivalent of a well-tained medieval knight trying to take on a super commando, albeit with a sword made of burning plasma.

So it's probably not a good idea to bring the topic of magic or any of it's variations into this discussion, as it will completely overload what is trying to be achieved here.

In my option the UNSC Fleet could easily defeat any Star wars fleet unless you bring in the deathstar then the UNSC would retreat but come back to fight again. Why, you may ask, MAC Guns these things are able to gut a Covenant Cruiser from stem to stern also most star wars fighters would be demolished by UNSC anti-air fire also tie fighter vs longsword longsword wins.

Except, they use different tactics. The Longsword is a single ship, used as a fighter-interceptor, in smaller numbers, because it's larger and more expensive, carrying greater ordinance and armor. The TIE fighter relies on swarm tactics, being a small 1-man fighter, with minimal weapons and armor.

MAC cannons are incapable of destroying even Covenant Frigates, without using multiple shots. Even if Covenant shields are greater in power than Imperial-class deflectors, the sheer amount of armor and decking contained in the latter would stop a round, easily. Further, the amount of heavy turbolasers would quickly boil away and strip a UNSC vessel, lacking any form of shielding, of its armor. The Death Star would annihilate the entire UNSC fleet. Even a Covenant armada would have a hard time, because of the concentrated turbolaser fire the Death Star can put out, as well as its deflector array, and massive, massive amounts of armor and decking. The only reason the Rebels could defeat it, is they had schematic data on the weapon, revealing a 2-meter-wide exhaust port in a heavily-defended trench. They lost many, many, smaller, more agile fighters than Longswords, just to the trench's defenses. The UNSC, even the Covenant, would have no chance fighting the Death Star, directly.

I still have to disagree about the Force, Swift.

As for the Cylons and the Covenant, it doesn't come to the Cylons' will, but the Covenant's. The Covenant are short-sighted, and don't accept other races, easily. In fact, they've never assimilated a race without a war, followed by that race becoming the lowest tier of the Covenant. The Covenant would more than likely, at least mostly, obliterate the Cylons, before either enslaving them, or completing their annihilation. Only reason the humans won the Human-Covenant War is the Great Schism that occurred in 2552, splitting the Covenant's forces, and pitting half of them, plus the combined human force, against the Loyalists, on a battlefield that was the spark of it all; the Forerunners were thought to be gods, but they were just a race of beings that passed down the mantle of protection to humanity.
"This is Reclaimer, not Reclamation"
-Mendicant Bias

The only reason humanity beat the Covenant is they had half the Covenant's help, after exposing the fallacy of their religion, and even that would have failed, if it weren't for the intervention of a Flood Gravemind to the Arbiter of the Elites.

The Cylons could not beat the Covenant, and the Covenant would not ally themselves with the Cylons.

What about Boba Fett vs. Master Chief? That would be a good fight.
That's actually a very good question.

Master Chief's a supersoldier in MJOLNIR armor, but then, Boba Fett uses a flamethrower, rocket launcher, and most notably, a disruptor, and he's got a jetpack. I'm actually gonna say our Mandalorian warrior is the winner, here, because his armor can resist all but the largest slugs, and his disruptor could very quickly overcome the shielding and armor of a MJOLNIR suit, not to mention his blaster, flamethrower, and rocket.

Am I allowed to go on about the Falcon docking INSIDE A FRIGATE?

That's actually a very good question.

Master Chief's a supersoldier in MJOLNIR armor, but then, Boba Fett uses a flamethrower, rocket launcher, and most notably, a disruptor, and he's got a jetpack. I'm actually gonna say our Mandalorian warrior is the winner, here, because his armor can resist all but the largest slugs, and his disruptor could very quickly overcome the shielding and armor of a MJOLNIR suit, not to mention his blaster, flamethrower, and rocket.

Am I allowed to go on about the Falcon docking INSIDE A FRIGATE?

Hey now, the chief can use jet packs too lol. while Boba Fett may be a skilled warrior with cool tools, the Spartan is faster, stronger and quicker, with genetic enhancements. Jetpacks or no jetpacks, hand to hand the Chief will win, might as well be fighting a jackel.

Now if they had their weapons, i wouldn't say a total loss of spartan life, maybe 50/50. Im not aware of what HUD options Boba may have in his helmet, but if its less or none compared to the chief that already gives chief the advantage. Considering Blaster vs a "Slug Thrower" Boba has the advantage, but not by much. The rocket un-guided is slow enough to evade and guided leaves Boba opened if he cant get targeted quick enough. The flame thrower has a poor accuracy and short range, to kill a spartan with that is sort of laughable, must have been Spartan-1337 lol. The blaster is accurate and deadly and real hard for a spartan to fight against in which his only option would be to shoot it out of bobas hand (more than plausible) or evade and get close for the kill.

So its 50/50, Boba with armor and weaponry and the chief with skill and agility.

Lets phone Spike tv and get a "Special" DeadliestWarrior setup lol.

Hey now, the chief can use jet packs too lol. while Boba Fett may be a skilled warrior with cool tools, the Spartan is faster, stronger and quicker, with genetic enhancements. Jetpacks or no jetpacks, hand to hand the Chief will win, might as well be fighting a jackel.

Now if they had their weapons, i wouldn't say a total loss of spartan life, maybe 50/50. Im not aware of what HUD options Boba may have in his helmet, but if its less or none compared to the chief that already gives chief the advantage. Considering Blaster vs a "Slug Thrower" Boba has the advantage, but not by much. The rocket un-guided is slow enough to evade and guided leaves Boba opened if he cant get targeted quick enough. The flame thrower has a poor accuracy and short range, to kill a spartan with that is sort of laughable, must have been Spartan-1337 lol. The blaster is accurate and deadly and real hard for a spartan to fight against in which his only option would be to shoot it out of bobas hand (more than plausible) or evade and get close for the kill.

So its 50/50, Boba with armor and weaponry and the chief with skill and agility.

I think the only way that fight will end is with them both exhausted but alive. I mean, hey now, there are certain characters who are sustained simply by their levels of badassery. Anyone familiar with the Star Wars EU will know how ridiculously immortal Boba Fett is, and anyone who's played Halo (just about aeveryone) will know that the Master Chief is just as unkillable.

The powers that be (fans) would have them both survive in some way or another.

Problem being Boba's armor could resist any bullet the Chief threw at him, save the Sniper's 14.7mm SDAM, or, well, the 102mm SCE rocket. That rules out almost all long-range combat, for a Spartan, who would then have to rely on his hand-to-hand combat skills.

From there, Boba Fett commonly carried with him an EE3 Carbine, a DXR-6 Disruptor Rifle, MM9 Mini Concussion Rocket (left gauntlet, tracking rocket), a ZX flame projector and Dur-24 Wrist Laser in his right gauntlet.
The flame projector had the range and power to get him much of the way out of the Sarlacc. The Wrist Laser was comparable in power to most blaster rifles. The EE3 Carbine excelled at medium to short range combat, capable of putting several bolts out per second. The gauntlet-fired mini rocket's tracking capabilities could easily have tracked and hit a moving Spartan. But, finally, I come to the DXR-6 Disruptor Rifle.

Disruptors were widely illegalized, because of their sheer power. Even a glancing blow from a disruptor could cause gruesome injuries. A direct hit often left nothing but a smoking pile of ash where the target used to be. Disruptors break apart matter at the molecular level, upon impact. That kind of destruction well overpowers the shielding and armor of a Spartan. Given, the DXR-6 can only carry 10 shots at a time, but it can be fitted with a zoom scope, and could fire to very great distances.

I mean, sure, Boba Fett doesn't have any genetic modifications. (He was the "clean" clone) But, he IS a Mandalorian warrior, trained from nearly birth to fight, and a Bounty Hunter from the ripe age of 12. Spartans weren't fielded till they were 14. His armor is made of Mandalorian Duraplast, with very similar anti-bullet capacity as MJOLNIR, he DID carry a personal energy field generator, at some points, and get this, it was powered. He was in Mandalorian MJOLNIR, essentially. And, while his Jetpack was limited to 60 seconds of operation, it exceeded the MJOLNIR jetpack in speed and maximum range, and, well, Master Chief didn't have access to the MJOLNIR jetpack. It was an experimental device, in testing on Reach. Just as Noble used nonstandard armor, and experimental DMRs, the Chief didn't, because he couldn't.

Really, the odds are so stacked against John, or, any Spartan. Hell, Boba's known for being just as lucky and invincible, if not more so, than John. (Hell, Boba fought Darth Vader, once, and could have won, if he hadn't decided better of it, since the Empire would have given him hell if he did.)

I just don't see the Chief beating Boba Fett.

Your probably right, but at least hand to hand the chief would drop him in an instant.

Although i'll still believe a spartan is just as skilled maybe slightly more than a Mandelorian. Just not nearly as technologically inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back