Halo Tech vs. Other Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizophrenicMC

This was spurred from the Battlestar Galactica-Halo tangent in the Chess thread. I wanna discuss and debate how the technology in Halo matches up against technology in other science fiction universes. BSG, Serenity, *gulp* St-star Wars and Star Trek... The more information we have on the technology, the better. Gives comparison, and all that jazz.

So, someone, pose a question, and let's all try and determine the answer.

Star Trek has better "beam me up" technology than Halo, unless you count Guilty Spark's method of transportation. ):

human technology= tissue paper compared to other stuff. covenant technology= fare game. forerunner technology= well, it may not have been able to stop the flood, but It could do some damage to a droid armor.

Before I begin, I would like to say I am one of the biggest Star Wars nerds in existence ;)

The Star Forge in KoTOR has gotta be one of the best technological wonders I have ever seen in sci-fi. I mean... seriously. It can spew out hordes of COMMAND SHIPS at will. Halo has... well, everything is built by hand. Though, so is everything else in Star Wars after it goes kablooie. Was good while it lasted. Except for, you know, driving anyone who uses it evil. <_<

Star Gate has near-instantaneous travel across millions of lightyears, and Halo still has to rely on their slipspace drive!

Star Gate also has a race of beings that basically IS advanced technology.

The main diffference here is that everything in the Haloverse has to be explained through convventional, physical means. With something like Star Wars however, there is almost no limit to what is possible because it can be explained by 'The Force did it," or with Star Gate "The Ancients did it."

Halo, thus far, has the most powerful weapon of mass destruction of any Sci-fi that I know of: Halo, with the effective range of 25000 light years. Put's Star Wars Death Star to shame. As for small arms, we already have weapon technology that is more advanced than what they use in Halo's 26th century. Examples include LSAT, SABR, OCSW, Lethality Central, WASP knives, Metal Storm, so on and so forth...
But I think that Star Trek, despite the lack of comparative superweapons, would beat out all the others technology wise. Especially that sniper rifle from Deep Space Nine, that thing was a beast!

human technology= tissue paper compared to other stuff. covenant technology= fare game. forerunner technology= well, it may not have been able to stop the flood, but It could do some damage to a droid armor.

That last statement there, that's something that never made sense to me. If the forerunners were so advanced and all, why couldn't they do something more about the flood? I mean a single human could do it. So why not an entire super advanced alien race?

If I remember right, I believe Johnson's hand was required to activate the Ring in Halo 3. Or was it the Ark. Anyway, if it was Johnson, then were the Forerunners in fact human? Wiped out thousands of years ago to destroy the first wave of flood?

If I remember right, I believe Johnson's hand was required to activate the Ring in Halo 3. Or was it the Ark. Anyway, if it was Johnson, then were the Forerunners in fact human? Wiped out thousands of years ago to destroy the first wave of flood?

According to the game, yes, we are Forerunner disendents. quote from Spark: "You are Forerunner, inhereter of all they created, but this ring is mine!" And then qew lazer face, lol. But yep, thats why the Covies can't get through a door on Halo without us, I heard that when the Prophets found this out, they perverted their beliefs so there won't be a uprise about it.

But I think that Star Trek, despite the lack of comparative superweapons, would beat out all the others technology wise.

I don't watch Star Trek, but I think they would be the first to go. The reason I say this is that They only shoot one beam out of their ship(I will most likely be mistaken, so please forgive me). They warships in the other sci-fi are littered with weapons.

-Pony

lets see some covy tech go up against some chozo metroid tech. plasma vs plasma. i vote samus putting an end to the covenant

Ive found that the halo universe and Starcraft 2 universe are quite similar. They both occur in the 26th century, and have 3 warring factions and a predecesor race (Forerunner and Xel-naga).
Ive found that the main difference between these two universes is the level of intensity of everything.

Take for example the difference between the Chief and an SC2 Marine:
A Marine is probably just a little weaker than the chief in terms of fighting strength, as they both have armor, weapons, and super strength. The thing is that the marine is the 2nd weakest unit in SC2 and can be produced in mass number (you better have Siege Tanks when you have 200 of these bad boys knocking on your door) And even though there are similarities in technology, like Hornets and Banshees (SC2 banshee, not Covenant), one thing that the Terran have are assault walkers like Thors and Vikings.

The Covanant's counterpart in SC2 is the protoss. They both are quite ritual, and have more of a smooth, energy based tech. However, somthing that is not wielded by the covanant is Psionic energy. The Protoss technology is largy based off of psionic technology, like their psi-blades and psi-storms (the bane of my Terran existance). However, even without psionic tech, their technology is still far greater because of things like their ability to warp in units strait to the battlefield and their robotic combat units (like Collosi). Despite these advantages, the Protoss are by far outnumbered by their enemies while the covanant are in mass numbers.

A fight between the Flood and Zerg would definatly be an interesting one. The flood bolster their ranks by reanimating and infesting the enemy units while the zerg devour everything in its path and use the resources to spawn and infest more units. In terms of unit strength, It would be close because, although the zerg can shred metal with their claws, the flood destructivly overclock their hosts body to achieve a similar level of strength. Of course the zerg is much more diverse in its possible unit combinations. The battle on the genetic level would be quite perplexing as well. The zerg mutates very rapidly, constantly throwing off new mutations. At the same time it is having a competition on the cellular level between the new and the old mutations, in which the stongest one survives. Because of this, the flood virus could infest the zerg, however it is possible that the zerg could mutate an immunity to it. The same is also possible that the flood could adapt to the zerg immunity as well. In that case, no real winner could be drawn because it would be a back and forth battle. They both are hive-minded races as they are all dictated by a controling entity. The Zerg is controlled via Psionic Energy by Kerrigan (It used to be controlled by the overmind, but it got killed) while the flood form a "GraveMind" from a critical mass of tissue.

I wont be comparing the differences between the Forerunners and Xel-naga because, number one this rant is getting too long, and number two, Xel-naga technology is too sparse for an accurate comparison.

With all things considered, I would have to say that the Starcraft universe would probably trump the Halo universe.
That, ladies and gentlmen, is the end of my crazy rant.
-Gryphon

Well the forerunners have technology beyond that of a star wars blaster, look at what they did to a covenant corvette at onyx. i think even in star wars forerunner's technological advances beat all beats all. Besides they built a safe world in the core of a bunch of drones did a jedi do that.

I personaly think that if the Covenant went up against, the Cylones, the Galactica, Or any of the Star wars army, Empire, Sepratist, Republic, or Rebels, The Covie would win hands down, the sheer numbers of the Covinant and there weapons are a sure sign of victory, lets see the Death Star go up against High Charity, and all those Carriers! That would be awsome. Though i don't know who would win, as far as human tech goes, A Jedi/Sith or a Spartan, like, oh I don't know, Mr. John-117? ;)

Unless that MJOLNIR is made from cortosis the Jedi will own John's arse I'm afraid. And those shields don't block energy swords, so a lightsaber will have no problem with that either. Slugs (solid bullets rather then plasma/laser based) would just be melted on contact with a lightsaber, so no upsides there. Also, they could use the force to throw John around or break the electronics in his suit.

Unless that MJOLNIR is made from cortosis the Jedi will own John's arse I'm afraid. And those shields don't block energy swords, so a lightsaber will have no problem with that either. Slugs (solid bullets rather then plasma/laser based) would just be melted on contact with a lightsaber, so no upsides there. Also, they could use the force to throw John around or break the electronics in his suit.

That sucks.

I got a question, John vs Predator, who would win?

Predator would be Master Chief's Bitch, hands down. Even a Jedi doesn't stand a chance against Master Chief with a shotty (I'd like to see a jedi deflect all 15 pellets)
Gordon Freeman vs. Master Chief? If Gordon Freeman can destroy a M1A1 tank with a crowbar, I'm sure he can mess up Master Chief with the Glock 17.
I retract my statement about Star Trek having the best stuff. Combine technology from Half-life is definately superior. That dark energy stuff is just crazy.

An experienced Jedi could easily use the force to stop the pellets, or even send them back at Chief :p
But I have to agree with you on the Combine. Advanced portal technology? Advanced bioengineering? OWNERSHIP OF ENTIRE DIMENSIONS!? The covenant are WAY behind here...

Based on my own knowledge i am going to say that as far as infantry weaponry goes, the Halo universe wins against the Star Wars universe.

E-11 Blaster (Stormtrooper Blaster): Highly in-accurate (as far as canon shows us [although, could be the stormtroopers fault for that]), versatile (small rifle i suppose) and high powered (not talking rocket launcher powerfull, but as far as i can tell, they blaster bolts burn straight through poo stormy armour)

Battle Rifle (c'mon, pretty self explanatory): High powered, accurate, 2x zoom. How can you go wrong?

However, the melee weapons in the Halo universe are lacking, uhhh... Stopping power?

Lightsaber: Wouldn't consider it a "Technological advancement" (look at them, basically made from crystals) but they pack a punch, cut through almost anything without any troubles (consider it an uber sharp sword), if used in the right hands, the ultimate weapon (along side the force)

Energy sword: Seriously? tough as nails but lacks the cutting ability, feels more like a club with a pointy end. It will kill someone with one hit, but no slicing action.

A battle against a highly trained Elite (or Chief) and a Jedi master would be interesting but quick. The sense's of a fully trained jedi (Mace Windu, Yoda etc...) are incredible, along with various force abilities, the Jedi will come out on top.

Armour wise however, I am going to admit, Halo comes out on top. Stormtrooper armour is the equivalent of space age cardboard. Chiefs armour is the space age equivalent of a 20 meter by 20 meter thick concrete wall compressed to fit a super human (probably exaggerating a little)

... Okay, a lot.

STAR TREK!

The Enterprise-D could likely cut the average UNSC or Covenant ship in half. It has 14 Phaser arrays, capable of simultaneous fire, as well as 250 photon torpedoes that may as well be nukes.

It has a complex deflector shield array that can easily handle plasma torpedoes, and other nefarious covenant weaponry. The Enterprise is constructed to fight other shielded ships so they will have experience and tactics in battling other shielded vessels. The covenant should pose an interesting but not hopeless challenge to the federation.

Plus, they have VULCANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back