HALO Pitch Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Brendan. That was a very excellent cinematography reel. You definately have an eye for the dramatic scene, and colour grading. What camera and lens selection did you use?

Ahh yes. I remember that...
So as I said it's was name and number in boot. The Sierra 117 is a code name given to him, not unlike Ghost in CoD. I'm pretty sure this is when the Spartan II were collecting covenant tech. This was before most of the UNSC knew about the Spartan program. The way humanity depeloped the shield for the mjolnir armor was through the use of the jackle arm shields.

So all in all I believe the code names were used from the time the Spartans first got their armor until most of the UNSC knew about them.

Sounds good. Another question is were all the original Spartan IIs in green Mark V gear?

i'd be willing to to put together the helmet but i dont have the ability to make a mold and casts right now money is tight. i can pep resin and bondo the helmet and ship it to someone who can finish the rest.

Digitalskylight, Brandon McClain is DA man. His stuff is great. I highly suggest you acquire his services

"Sierra" is simply the radio code word for "Spartan". Therefore, "Sierra 117" is simply "Spartan 117". Pretty much, though, his official name is John 117. In the Believe Diorama commercials he is referred to as "Master Chief Petty Officer, John 117". All his fellow Spartans, however, just call him John or Master Chief. The S-II's all called each other by their first names.

It sounds like you're really moving forward with this concept quickly! I would caution you, however, about taking on such iconic characters as Cortana and Master Chief. These characters, how they look and sound, are pretty concrete in the minds of Halo fans. If you can't get your actors to look and sound very close to their virtual counterparts, I fear that it might draw the audience out of the experience.

Also, and I hate to say this, but, Master Chief is a pretty darn one-dimensional character. Bungie purposely made him that way so that people playing the game could simply put themselves into his shoes and imagine that they were Master Chief. It worked really well for a game. On the big screen, though, I have a hard time imagining you being able to make him a character that people can relate to. Especially when you're only going to be showing him for a brief pitch trailer.

My recommendation would be to focus on a different aspect of the Halo universe. Make it about Spartan-III's or about a different group of Spartan-II's (this would allow you to have a cameo of childhood Master Chief in some of the flashbacks). One idea that I had was to make a sort of hybrid of Halo and Band of Brothers. Start out with some old men being interviewed about the war with the Covenant -- giving some anecdotes of their time fighting, etc. -- and then flash back to the actual war when these guys were young and ODST's. I just feel that focusing on someone or several someone's with actual depth to their personality would be a more rewarding experience for the audience than an hour and a half of Master Chief.

That's all just my opinion, though. Without actually having seen your script or the final cut, I have no idea. Anyway, I hope everything goes smoothly for you (shoots like this can be a b**ch) and I look forward to more updates!

Maybe you could make a trailer of how everyone interacts with the war, not just spartans but regular civilians, ODST troopers, marines, etc.

Maybe something like Reach, where people find out the covenant invade, what do they do next, how do other spartans gear up, etc.

Will there be any dialog? Or will it simply be music playing and video?

Thank you to everyone for their input so far.

Smiggly, I understand where you are coming from. However, we would still like to proceed as planned with a short pitch on the Chief. As you said, he was made a flat character so that many could relate to him, and therefore, it would be best to honor that relation by bringing what has only been done with console graphics to life (the Halo ads, with the exception of Halo: Reach, never seemed to depict a live Master Chief). I have taken great consideration into your recommendation of using familiar Halo characters, such as Cortana, and will seek out the closest ones that both look and act like these characters. There should, however, be a bit of leeway with that, as was in Halo Legends

Santicity, there will be a bit of dialogue, but mainly voiceover. I am preparing two other scripts for my crew's review, so that they may figure out what will work out best. Regardless, the same elements will stick throughout (armor, characters, and so forth)- we're just somewhat concerned about a couple locations in the current script that we'd like to either build, find, or work around.

Finally, I must ask those that are a bit more attuned to the Halo Universe- in The Fall of Reach, were all SPARTAN IIs given the same armor? I have seen and read various articles and postings that argue both sides of this. In my mind, it makes more sense that the SPARTAN IIs were uniform from head to toe, and there wasn't room for color or armor variation. Thoughts?

Thanks for being patient everyone, as well as the support so far. I am going to try and get down to run some green screen tests tomorrow (Tuesday) and play a bit with creating a Cortana. Hope to have some images up in the evening, if all goes well!

I'm almost completely sure that the armor was uniform, Dr. Halsey's reaction to the change in armor that noble team made supports it. Seeing that it was new tech one would assume it would be the same color. Though I don't remember if it ever actually said they all started off the same color.
Although considering noble teams armor wasn't the same armor that the Spartan II started off with it continues to support the idea that the original sets armor were the same color.

There were color variations between various teams. And if I remember right red team kept the mkv helmets after they updated to mkvi. But I could be wrong.

The armor was all uniform, both in shape and color. The designations of Blue Team or Red Team were not reflective of the colors that the Spartans wore. For instance, Master Chief's fireteam was Blue Team, but it is very clear that they all wore green armor and not blue armor. Every Spartan-II, at least in the books, wore Mark V, green armor. This wasn't updated to Mark VI until Halo 2, by which time Master Chief was one of the only remaining S-II's anyway.

Also, you can see that every S-II on the cover of the books wears the same armor, all of it green.

I just saw your thread i was wondering will you be shooting in and around Chicago and also you should contact leekegan if you need weapons he is the best and canmake or has almost all of them. also if it helps i am int he Chicago area and do private security for filming in the area

I just saw your thread i was wondering will you be shooting in and around Chicago and also you should contact leekegan if you need weapons he is the best and canmake or has almost all of them. also if it helps i am int he Chicago area and do private security for filming in the area

Dreads,

If you could PM me, that would be great. I'd like to get in touch and figure out a few things with you.

All,

I received a call this afternoon to prep for a shoot this evening, so didn't get a chance to test the Cortana imagery. I will be sure to get things done Thursday (my next free day) and post things up. Sorry if any of you were looking forward to this.

so is anyone willing to make a mold/casts and finish the reach Mark V helmet that I pep, resin, and bondo. i have already started pepping the helmet.

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted the test shots up yet- I am currently in Vancouver, BC shooting something (have to pay the bills and make funds for this pitch trailer!). I am due back Saturday, so will get them up then.

So far, we've got someone working on the helmets/full suits. We're looking now mainly for weapons that appear in CE. If anyone has any they're willing to either donate, sell, or even loan out, feel free to PM me. Things are slowly moving along, and my crew is extremely excited to get going with this.

Brendan

I'M IN VANCOUVER!
I make prop weapons, I have a decent magnum 80% done. Its the halo reach one but is modular so it can look like the M6B without much trouble. I can lend it to you, or I can see about making some cheap casts.
What are you filming up here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back