used scotch tape so am i screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGGOT9324

so i made a few peps out of 90lb card stock and clear scotch tape and im ready to resin but i just learned that resin and tape dont mix so how can i fix this? do i have to start all over with glue?

Oh wow. Thats quite the situation you got there. It would be best to start over however, you might be able to save this. I would try resining the inside then fiberglassing it. then pull the tape off unless you taped the inside then your in trouble. Dont hold me to this though, there is still a chance the tape will come undone.

Oh wow. Thats quite the situation you got there. It would be best to start over however, you might be able to save this. I would try resining the inside then fiberglassing it. then pull the tape off unless you taped the inside then your in trouble. Dont hold me to this though, there is still a chance the tape will come undone.

damn! cause i taped the inside and outside of my helmet and chest and back, so thats a month and a half down the drain :(

i was hoping there would be something i could spray on or something to salvage this :/

It would be best to wait for an answer to your post in the Help!-thread before posting it again.

The problem is that polyester resin contains styrene, which can dissolve certain tapes (or the adhesive on them). You can use epoxy instead, that should work. Keep in mind that the safety requirements are slightly different, though.

It would be best to wait for an answer to your post in the Help!-thread before posting it again.

The problem is that polyester resin contains styrene, which can dissolve certain tapes (or the adhesive on them). You can use epoxy instead, that should work. Keep in mind that the safety requirements are slightly different, though.

what type of epoxy should i use?

what type of epoxy should i use?

I don't think it really matters as long as it's solvent-free (apparently there are some products that aren't). If you want to use fibgreglass, get one that is supposed to be used for laminating. Also keep an eye on the curing time (I don't want to write an essay about that, the advantages and disadvantages should be obvious :)).

Nah, your probly screwed.

1241103487138.jpg

Attachments

• 1241103487138.jpg
    1241103487138.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 107
Try getting some cheap white glue, and just pull one piece of tap at a time and glue that spot. That might be your only option.

Try getting some cheap white glue, and just pull one piece of tap at a time and glue that spot. That might be your only option.

yeah my friend had the same idea. just peel the tape off piece by piece. probably be easier to just restart and invest in a hot glue gun even tho im not a fan of glue

yeah my friend had the same idea. just peel the tape off piece by piece. probably be easier to just restart and invest in a hot glue gun even tho im not a fan of glue

There is no way of building armor that does not require glue (Foam, paper or anything else) It will be your friend soon enough.

Hot glue isn't expensive at all. A gun costs $5 and a bag of 50 sticks is, like, $1. 2-3 bags for a whole suit, you're looking at $7 for glue that won't melt under resining.

Hot glue isn't expensive at all. A gun costs $5 and a bag of 50 sticks is, like, $1. 2-3 bags for a whole suit, you're looking at $7 for glue that won't melt under resining.

the price of it isnt an issue. i just find it too messy but i just took off the tape i put on a piece i made for another war machine helmet and superglued that since all i have is superglue. ill get hot glue soon

(would have edited above post but it wouldnt let me)

i got an idea from a hot glue thread i found on here. is it possible to melt down some hot glue sticks and then paint the glue on the inside of the armor then fiberglass it?

you could always try to do a batch of rondo and put in allllooootttttt of catalyst to make it harden super fast before the tape is eaten away by the resin.

what you could always try is cutting pieces of 110 lb card stock into 1 inch wide strips by 2 inches long, coating it with a very light layer of elmers glue and layering that over were you used tape. The hot glue will work to because all you are going for is a way to cover the tape so the resin wont eat it but if your not a fan of getting burned (I would be one my self) I would try giving that a shot.

Attachments

• 1241103487138.jpg
    1241103487138.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 3592816d-56c9-41b3-8d2f-33e526881bcc.jpg
    3592816d-56c9-41b3-8d2f-33e526881bcc.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 111
i had this with my odst you have two options fill with rondo and loads of hardener OR paper mache the hole inside( be carefull of extreeem mega warpage) then resin the hardend paper mache on the inside then resin th out side it wont mater if it desolves the tape on the outside coz the paper mache is your freind + you could also take tape of piece by piece ( be carefull it can peel the paper/cardstock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back