The Ultimate Pepakura FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
InvisibleMan said:
Can you add the Mountain and valley fold lines to your Pep card stock prints? Or should I just like look at the computer screen and figure it out that way?
thanks
They should be on there already.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the different folds, how do you tell which is which, and how do you do them? I need to know this bad thanks. Byt the way im not a noob well i am but only to pepakure i have a NAS suit but i want to try the pep armor.
Also which way do i do the folds does it matter?

There are mountain and valley folds, (fold in or out relative to the outside of the model)

You can specify which symbol to represent each in the line options of the program. (The default settings are shown above and in a couple of other stickies)

s-meister- the greater the lb of cardstock, the tougher it is (as to your other question see statement at the top of the FAQ= it may be possible to use other ways but you will spend a lot more time and effort to do something that may work and not work as well)

I used regular paper for my first helm. Took me forever to fix it up. I never did that again.

Double post of Doom but list is updated and the Subheading has been changed.

I think I might just start copying and pasting stuff from here into help threads with a link to it at the end. :rolleyes

Thanks to everybody who has contributed here!

for the visor i would like to know which motocycle visor would fit a 26cm scale helmet for both the mk v and VI pepakura

The perfect one to use would be an HJC model 65 Large

But just about any would fit any helm.

Here's an example of the size range you can use the same visor for.

HPIM1054.jpg

ok because im a little short so i didnt want to order a visor for it to be too big

It's really two visors, one with a hole cut in it overlaid on top of a plain one.

I made mine with the help of Sean's Double Visor tut sticky in molded armor.

The first double visor was posted by Bluerealm.

Sigma-LS said:
It's really two visors, one with a hole cut in it overlaid on top of a plain one.

I made mine with the help of Sean's Double Visor tut sticky in molded armor.

The first double visor was posted by Bluerealm.
Oh sweet.

I am new to the site and all the information I have found in the posts has been very useful and yes I have used the search button a lot. But I have noticed one bit of confusion. That's over the Great stuff foam. I have seen in other posts where people recommend the red can with the yellow cap. Or to be more specific The insulating foam sealant ISBN #074985001543
In this thread you have recommended.

5. What about using expanding foam/Great Stuff as reinforcement? etc

Use the Red and Blue can of Great Stuff or the foam will shrink and warp your work.

Do you mean the Great Stuff Window & Door Insulating Foam? Sorry I dont have an ISBN# for this. Just a little confused over wich Great stuff product is safe to use with my Pepakura Helmet

Maybe adding a small picture of the product would help us Noob's, I know it would help me. Thanks for the help. :)

Spartan 161 said:
I am new to the site and all the information I have found in the posts has been very useful and yes I have used the search button a lot. But I have noticed one bit of confusion. That's over the Great stuff foam. I have seen in other posts where people recommend the red can with the yellow cap. Or to be more specific The insulating foam sealant ISBN #074985001543
In this thread you have recommended.

5. What about using expanding foam/Great Stuff as reinforcement? etc

Use the Red and Blue can of Great Stuff or the foam will shrink and warp your work.
Do you mean the Great Stuff Window & Door Insulating Foam? Sorry I dont have an ISBN# for this. Just a little confused over wich Great stuff product is safe to use with my Pepakura Helmet

Maybe adding a small picture of the product would help us Noob's, I know it would help me. Thanks for the help. :)

That and the generic gap filler are the two that should work best. I used the gap filller so I know it works.

Sigma-LS said:
1. Low Temperature Hot Glue (Will say on glue gun)
How low temp?
My current can get up to around 380. Is that too high for pepakura amor?

yay first n00b post! Alright well i have my Pepakura armor made. it'll be finished by tonight. and i want to start resining tommorow. But then i realized i had the wrong stuff. i have Bondo-Glass. Everyone says u can purcahse resin at Wal-mart. Well could someone give me a brand name or something along those lines. Something i can go in with and ask if they have it. This would be extremely helpful. and another question. one more for this post. I've been planning on just buying some industrial velcro and elastic straps, some buckles, and attaching that to an Underarmor suit. Does anyone else have any suggestions. What else could i use? trying to keep it below $70 for whole suit. Thanks

Brand Name is Bondo.
Check the Resin Tutorial in the stickies, it shows a pic of how the Resin product is to look like.

MC-3189 said:
How low temp?
My current can get up to around 380. Is that too high for pepakura amor?

I'm not sure, I know that most new guns will say high or low temp on them and so will the refill glue.

Low temp gets just hot enough to blister you but not give you a major burn.

You can use any temp you like though, but the burns will hurt a lot worse with high temp.

Spartan-078 Posted Today, 03:43 PM
yay first n00b post! Alright well i have my Pepakura armor made. it'll be finished by tonight. and i want to start resining tommorow. But then i realized i had the wrong stuff. i have Bondo-Glass. Everyone says u can purcahse resin at Wal-mart. Well could someone give me a brand name or something along those lines. Something i can go in with and ask if they have it. This would be extremely helpful. and another question. one more for this post. I've been planning on just buying some industrial velcro and elastic straps, some buckles, and attaching that to an Underarmor suit. Does anyone else have any suggestions. What else could i use? trying to keep it below $70 for whole suit. Thanks

Bondo glass is resin pre-mixed with fiberglass so it is very goopy for lack of a better term. It won't give you the kind of smooth finish you're looking for.

Bondo makes pretty much everything related to what you will need for pepakura: Body filler, resin, fiberglass, catalysts, fiberglass applicators etc.

I don't know if $70 will cut it on a project like this. I would think that $100 is the low end (plus you're really going to want the $30 motorcycle visor. It upgrades your armor almost 200%.)

Sigma-LS said:
I'm not sure, I know that most new guns will say high or low temp on them and so will the refill glue.

Low temp gets just hot enough to blister you but not give you a major burn.
You can use any temp you like though, but the burns will hurt a lot worse with high temp.

Well, mine is around 10-15 years old and only has one setting. The print on the back says "CAUTION---Nozzle reaches 380*"
From what I gathered, it's a "Ridlen," the company is/was based out of Dallas Texas.
The sticks can work for either high or low temp guns.

Thanks for the help, Sigma.
It's funny, this thread was the first one I read when I visted this site.

the 70$ was talking about the undersuit, like the underarmor. that wasn't including the pepakura parts. but thanks for the answer Sigma i'm gonna run to walmart tommorow and get everything i need to start resining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back