The Ultimate Pepakura FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigma-LS said:
There are many questions that n00bs and first time pepakura folks seem to ask over and over.

Almost all of these questions have been answered many times but sometimes it is difficult to find them in the sea of posts that make up the forum.

This is a concise list of the most common questions asked and the answers that go with them. It is important to remember that these are not absolute answers and that it is just the easiest and most common way.

Thanks this helped me alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it may have been asked already but what is an alternative for cardstock in the UK? as i do not know if we sell it here. What type of printer as well, i have a lexmark big enough to print on A3 so all is ok but i don't know if it will take Cardstock.

sorry to be a pain.

Thanks

Matt

For the paper, it's 220 gsm I believe....

Printer, no idea, you should ask a printer shop :D

And it was answered a couple of posts above yours...

Venom_Di_Lemon said:
haha ^^ maybe i should read more instead of skim reading, Thank you for the info though.
Yes, you do that. I already answered that same question on the previous page.

slow drying time, but use a toothpick or q-tip if you are going to.
apply it thinly, and squeeze the parts together tightly. also, apply glue to both ends, it makes a tighter bond.

but you already know that, right?

Thanks this is great!
Ok I have a couple questions:
After the resining & fibre glassing stuff dries is the helmet wearable or are here fumes?
If I am puting in a faceplate do I cut out the place wear it will go before or after I strengthen it?
If I put like a sort of padding in it would I just make it a couple sizes bigger? Or is it just fine without padding?
And last, how do you breath in it? Do you put in a mouth piece or a fan or just breath normally?

CODILICIOUS said:
After the resining & fibre glassing stuff dries is the helmet wearable or are here fumes?
If you added the correct amount of hardener, there should be no smell at all. If after sevral days it is still tacky, sprinkle it with baby powder.

CODILICIOUS said:
If I am puting in a faceplate do I cut out the place wear it will go before or after I strengthen it?
Your question is confiusing but if I get the gist of it, many people remove it after putting fiberglass. Personally, I remove it after a couple of resin coats. It's much easier to do than when you have fiberglass on.

CODILICIOUS said:
If I put like a sort of padding in it would I just make it a couple sizes bigger? Or is it just fine without padding?
Unless you want to look like a walking bobblehead, put the paddings in.

CODILICIOUS said:
And last, how do you breath in it? Do you put in a mouth piece or a fan or just breath normally?
Majority put fans inside. It also helps prevent fogging, in addition to comfort.

Ral Partha said:
If you added the correct amount of hardener, there should be no smell at all. If after sevral days it is still tacky, sprinkle it with baby powder.
Your question is confiusing but if I get the gist of it, many people remove it after putting fiberglass. Personally, I remove it after a couple of resin coats. It's much easier to do than when you have fiberglass on.
Unless you want to look like a walking bobblehead, put the paddings in.
Majority put fans inside. It also helps prevent fogging, in addition to comfort.
Thanks that was very helpful and I can't wait to start!

cool cool sorta know how to do this all now but i have onequestion...how doyou make it simetrical..i tryed to make one MC-Helmout of paper but the left side looks diffrent then the right side..can some one PM me on how to do all that?

Sigma-LS said:
In order of preference:1. Low Temperature Hot Glue (Will say on glue gun)
2. Superglue
3. Electrical Tape (Resin will not eat through much. Use in place of ductape.)
4. other non dissolvable glues (other glues may work when you put the paper together but the resin will dissolve it when you fiberglass it and your model will fall apart in front of your eyes)

DO NOT USE
1. clear tape
2. dissolvable glues
3. duct tape

What about masking tape?

well i need some help with my first halo 3 assault rifle the pepakura was easy so far (about half done ) the reason im only half done is that i do not know how to resin and fiberglass the gun it self the outside seems easy enough but i do not know how/what i should and shouldnt do to the inside of the weapon please help thanks

I was reading this thread and saw the small Q&A Sigma put up; a couple of questions:

1. I used a scale for my helmet and it seems it fits. However I can't get my head through the neck. I know Sigma said to hinge it, but I think I may be a bit confused about what he means...

2. The whole thing with not using clear tape...does that mean double sided tape is not recommended? I used it on the helmet I'm making (helmet was made from regular paper for practice just to see how it would look).

3. I'm probably going to make a couple pieces of armor out of regular paper just to practice and see how I can work out some kinks. Does anyone think this is a waste of time or should I keep going? I want to see if I can finish a complete set of armor before Halloween, but if I can't it's no problem since one has to very patient when making armor.

4. I want to post pictures of my current practice armor so anyone can give me feedback on how it goes. However, this is the first forum I've joined and I'm not familiar with how to properly put a picture in without breaking any rules. If anyone could just help me or direct me to the proper post that be most helpful.

Other than that, I'm glad I found these info on these noob forums. Thanks everyone and I can't wait to begin the real armor.

Ok. I may have missed it, but I have been searching for it for a while, reading stickies, and various other forums, but nothing that answers what I need.

What is the final durability of pepakura armor? Can it stand airsoft, paintball, whacks with big sticks? Perferably airsoft, but you never know. Can fully completed resined, bondo, painted armor stand such things?

I apologize if the answer of this question is stated somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it. I would greatly appreciate an answer.

Gratefully,
Vancar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back