Ask the Q's get the A's with your host BenStreeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ben,
Been around this forum for just shy of a couple years. I dont often ask too many questions because if you just do some recon around here, you can almost always find the answer to some degree or another. However I havent seen too much info on the "shaping and forming" process when sculpting the outside of a piece. My question is, when you are doing a piece like a helmet where you need both side to be equal to one another... Do you use some type of measuring template or do you just eyeball it?

I actually do both. Most of the time when I need a part to be symmetrical, I make a template for one side out of paper and then just flip it over for the other side. If I need layers to be the same height, I use a caliber or I use a router with an adjustable height setting and a locking mech. Or I make a "Jig" ( something custom made to hold the tool at a set height/angle for a specific part or cut). I try my hardest nut to have to build a "Jig" because they are just a waste after the part is complete.

it does not require a dremel, but I would not do it with a box cutter. You are just asking to slice your hand that way.

as for the latex keys I dip some cheesecloth into latex, then roll it up into a ball.

lol getting some free time. I've been slammed with work now that I have a "real" job. It's not stopping me from working on props, but it is slowing me down.

lol getting some free time. I've been slammed with work now that I have a "real" job. It's not stopping me from working on props, but it is slowing me down.

Agreed!
Damn you job!
If I had my way, I'd be in the shop all day working on props/armor.
But... Then I would have no job... and the wife would be less than impressed... then the drinking would start...

I guess it's safer to just take the time we get!

Agreed!
Damn you job!
If I had my way, I'd be in the shop all day working on props/armor.
But... Then I would have no job... and the wife would be less than impressed... then the drinking would start...

I guess it's safer to just take the time we get!

AHMEN!! lol

Hey ben, just wanted to give ya a big thanks for what you do. The videos i have seen of yours help me out a lot. Keep up the great work! Your a stand up guy, my grandma says so too lol She was watching one of your videos with me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back