McFarlane Reach figures...am I the only one who's kinda "meh" about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

I have been/still am a avid collector of Mcfarlane Halo 3 figures, having way more than I want to think about. I am really happy with the line (as far as collecting/displaying), even the LE's, like the Recon Grifball and the hard to get Halo points Gold chief. IDK, when that line was going, it was a fun time IMO for collecting them.

Now, I don't necessarily dislike the Reach figure line, but I've been somewhat dissappointed. I can say the primary reason is the lack of quality control I have seen when sorting through them. I must have searched through about 40 Jorge figures before I found one worthy of purchasing, because alot of them had twisted limbs, the legs looked like they were place on wrong, etc. I think the worst QC'ing I've seen is with the Emile figures. I cannot tell you how many horrribly painted helmet skulls I've seen, one wasn't even on the visor! Even the ones that were painted correctly had messed up limbs.

Eh, my buddy got me an Emile figure today, and it's impecable! He searched and made sure it looked good, and I can tell you it looks awesome. Overall, I just don't "feel" it with the new line. The overall quality is killing me and I don't really care to get anymore Reach figures. I really wanted to get a Noble 6, but I'm having the same exact problems.

It's just amazing that considering the extent they went with the halo 3 line, with every other accessory in the game being put with a figure, I've never seen such a lack of concern for a figures appearence and packaging....

I started noticing the same thing around the newest Halo 3 action figures. I had a spartan that has pretty much just fallen apart on its own the day I got it. I got the white recon guy, pics of him look great, quality of the item your going to get... He only right shins for his shins and only left feet for feet, the visor was half painted and the other paint looks like a baby did it, all the parts are warped... it sucks basically. But I must say that the new reach figs were a improvement, not much of one, but slight improvement none the less.

For christmas I just got two figures, a McFarlane Noble 6. Which came with his legs twisted in a VERY strange manner, and his gauntlets and helmet were messed up (also why did they put the tac-pad on him? it is supposed to be based off the premiere trailer but it wasnt there in that.) I also got a Square Enix Noble 6. That is just... wow... it is the BEST halo figure I have ever owned! Super high detail, AR stays on his back but still comes off like a charm, grenade is just amazing, and the knife is removable as well and it is just plain AWESOME in a blade. Square Enix Noble 6... above and beyond the bar. haha I sound like a salesmen... lol

Yeah McFarlane has gone down hill and Square Enix is really expensive, in the words of Crunchbite "Blarg blarg honk honk blarg" Well blarged Crunchbite, well blarged.

Yeah... I mean even the first few Halo 3 Series were a bit medioccre, but this, this is worse than star wars quality :/ I had to repaint my Marine, ODST, and Spartan-ODST and an assault rifle that came ALL SILVER. -_- Also, my Master Chief came with two left hands...wut? I still love them though so i guess I don't mind repainting the lot of them :)

I agree. It's a damn shame that the company that set the bar for niche action figures has fallen so far, with one of the most promising franchise titles. The biggest offense in my opinion is the sloppy weathering that appears to be applied in the paint dunk method. As an aside, my brother actually saw the Play Arts figures in a little side 'shop' in Chinatown. He said they had Carter and Jorge and some guy wearing a sahwl over his armor. "They have JUN!??" I asked and my jaw dropped. Then he added that they were VERY expensive. As much as I'd like one I'd rather not get raped for asomethinfg that will be out in a few months anyhoo.

The McFarlane figures have gone down a bad road unfortunatley. I only got Jorge for reference, but with the QC and Mcfarlane now using recycled plastics (which explains why stuff snaps off). It's a huge bummer...

I have the Square Enix Reach toys, got em; from Hong Kong since they were released there in November, from legit places for the same price and only $4 as far as shipping. It only took about a week to get them (and the Square Enix site is all 3-4weeks, and Im a spaz, so I had to get them faster than that *nerd*:B) I did some video reviews for Noble 6 and Jun for a start up game site, Emile is in transit now :) I tried to be fair in my review and compare the Square Enix to the McFarlane. I still love what Todd did for the figure industry, just seems like the bottom line has become more important than quality.

Yeah some of the shops in Chinatown are beyond shady, these things shouldn't be anymore than $50(without shipping). Image Anime or Forbidden Planet should have them in stock sometime soon too, but they(Image) charge $10+ with the rents being higher since they're closer to MSG.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GGMReviews?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/AScSQiy2moo

Just saw your review SKG. Very nice. Jeez those guys are huge. I subscribed to the Youtube channel and can't wait for your Kat review..I'm gonna buy her as soon as she comes out . Jun was going to keep her company but he looks different than what I expected, so I don't know. It's great to know that people like you are there to take the risk to find a legit place to buy things like this overseas. Thank you.

Also, a common trick used by Gundum builders for worn and loose ball joints is some nail polish. The principle is that the viscous nature of the enamel will fill the void left by excess friction on the female part of the join. There are some other ideas on this page. Good luck.

BTW: I TOO have a part in my butt.

I got the Noble Six, Jorge and Emile right when they came out and the paint and joints were all amazing compared to my earlier Halo 3 ones. I then bought the Elite Ultra combo and White Mark V combo pack... the figure look's horrible.
IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 205
Ah my pleasure Alix :) I like Sniper's and Assassin's hahaha, go figure, though I have heard people weren't nuts about how they did Jun. Oh nail polish? I'll have to try that out, thanks for the tip :D!

Yeah Kat and Jorge are on my "get these next" list, so they may start popping up next month on ebay :). My bf got me Snake in his sneaking suit for Xmas, hehe so I'll be tossing him in there and my 1/60 VF-25G from Macross Frontier when it comes in in the next couple of weeks *nerd*

@Miky: Ack what the heck, man QC out the window :(

tubachris85x I'm with you. I've picked up the Reach action figures a half dozen times and keep putting them down. I have the Halo 3 Series 3 12-inch blue Spartan and I love it. I'm using it for scale, sculpting and detail reference. It's a delicate action figure but great for reference. I'm hoping McFarland will put out a similar 12-inch Reach model (very high detail). So far I have not been in love with the new toys though.

Oh jeez, you cannot the believe the problems I've had from Mcfarlane, right from Series 1 too! From every series I could name at least 2 problems/defects I had.

And nice find on the Squenix ones SKG. I've been wanting those, but $50 is still a bit pricey. My only complaint is the disproportionatly skinny shins.

My only complaint is the disproportionatly skinny shins.
That's what SHE said. LOLZ. Lookit the
haloreachtoys530pxheaderimg.jpg
Paint Master from McFarlane and then look at what the paying public gets in the pictures above and you can see That MikeyV and Visigoth are certainly onto something. Big-UPz to Todd but like The Girl sez, but get-it-sold-at-minimal-cost is the motto of the day. I wonder what Joyride would have done with this franchise.

Attachments

• haloreachtoys530pxheaderimg.jpg
    haloreachtoys530pxheaderimg.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 196
@ Microbe: ahahah, you don't like your Spartans with mile long anime legs ;) I can understand that :)

The only things about the square enix figs Noble 6 that I feel is wrong, aside from the anime-ish body style, is I feel the head is too small for the body. The Mcfarlane figure looks right, but the SE's head just looks off to me in scale

Hm possibly *shrug* I just like the designs really, as far as figures go, the proportions don't bug me, just depends on your tastes really.

Now my Kai Arts Naked Snake MGS, figure, yeah that's pretty much perfect, and it LOOKS like Snake :D

Hm possibly *shrug* I just like the designs really, as far as figures go, the proportions don't bug me, just depends on your tastes really.

Now my Kai Arts Naked Snake MGS, figure, yeah that's pretty much perfect, and it LOOKS like Snake :D

The details and everything else is awesome, but it's just the way I am about it. Small errors in accuracy/scale tend to annoy and bug me over time. That's how I got into this hobby after all..

haha, don't get me wrong, the detail on the Squenix ones are unparallel, but I have a thing with proportion. haha, you should see how many times I've rescaled my armor.

I'll always love my McFarlane figs, these little guys like to party every now and then...

014-3.jpg

Attachments

• 014-3.jpg
    014-3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 208
I haven't seen the Enix Jorge figure yet, but I do like the McFarlane version. The legs don't look like stilts, and the colors and paints are not too bad. Of course, I saw two more in the same box where the paints were off, so I can't say about what anyone else is seeing.

I haven't seen the Enix Jorge figure yet, but I do like the McFarlane version. The legs don't look like stilts, and the colors and paints are not too bad. Of course, I saw two more in the same box where the paints were off, so I can't say about what anyone else is seeing.

The biggest issue I have with the Jorge figure is the peg design for his backpack. IDK if it's just my figure, but the backpack won't hold itself in there unless I stand the figure up and don't even touch it. The littltest breeze will not only cause the pack to fall off, but Jorge will fall over too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back