XBOX 360 Console Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshane81

Sr Member
I'm reaching out to some of the helpful folks on here to see if I can find a solution, without having to send my console back to Microsoft.

I've been having an issue regarding the video output of the console, I do have audio however. I would like some input from anyone who may have also had this issue, and any solutions they used to fix it.

Now that being said....please don't suggest any methods that involve wrapping the console in a bath towel, or 3, using a heat gun, etc., anything heat related that would just cause additional damage in the long run. I'm looking for viable input that can be utilized by someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with small-scale electronics.

Any useful input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

are you using your standard-def red white and yellow input, the 5 component cables, or an HDMI cable?
I'm assuming you have audio and no video whatsoever: If using the A/V cables, I would make sure all contact between TV and wire is clean, then if it still doesn't work, try moving the video cable around, or make sure the TV/HDTV switch on the actual xbox cable is set to tv. If this isn't what is happening, could you elaborate on your problem?

so you are saying that you have no video at all when you are playing? if that is the case i would just bye a new chord, i don't really know any other way to fix that, sorry but i hope you figure out a way. if i find out how to fix this i will tell you :)

Thank you for looking.

In light of the previous inquiry, I guess I need to elaborate further.

The console itself is experiencing flawless audio, with absolutely no video. I am using standard A/V cables, no HDMI. I have tried 2 different cables on 2 different televisions with no change. I have of course gone through all of Microsoft's troubleshooting tips, but the next step of course, is to send it in for repair, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks

The only other things I could think of would be to:
A. Clean the metal contacts on the Xbox - I would use a Q-Tip and apply gentle pressure (The best trick back in the days of the N64)
B. Make absolutely certain that the switch on the xbox cable is set to TV not HDMI; Should be switched toward the Xbox itself
C. Try connecting your Xbox to any HDMI TV in your house, a neighbor's house, your friend's house, anyone's house. If it works on HDMI, it is probably the A/V adapter on the Xbox. If you are still only getting sound and no video, you have a bigger issue that would warrant a good ol' postage-paid 1 way trip for your Xbox to Mesquite, Texas.

I am a certified xbox 360 tech and normally when you are having video issues you should check the xbox on different tv's, if that does not work you should then replace the avi cables, third if all else fails then it means you have a faulty scaler chip or your GPU "Graphics processing unit" has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.

forumline-1.jpg

flames2.png

Oh im good.....

Attachments

• forumline-1.jpg
    forumline-1.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 199
  • flames2.png
    flames2.png
    15 KB · Views: 232
Ensure the TV / HDTV switch is in the correction position on the cable itself.

cableswitch.jpg

If you are running on standard aduio + video (white/red + yellow) it must be switched to TV.

If you are running on audio + component (white/red + red/green/blue)s switched to HDTV.

Is your AV Cable switch in the correct position? If not you will experience sound and no video. If it is in the wrong position, turn the unit off, change the switch position to reflect the correct position, and power the unit on. If you now have audio and video your fixed.

If you have done this there may be a few other tests before you ship it off.

Ensure the TV / HDTV switch is in the correction position on the cable itself.

View attachment 328

If you are running on standard aduio + video (white/red + yellow) it must be switched to TV.

If you are running on audio + component (white/red + red/green/blue)s switched to HDTV.

Is your AV Cable switch in the correct position? If not you will experience sound and no video. If it is in the wrong position, turn the unit off, change the switch position to reflect the correct position, and power the unit on. If you now have audio and video your fixed.

If you have done this there may be a few other tests before you ship it off.

when you said white,red,red,blue, and green and switch to hdtv, i have the cable like that but i didn't switch it to hdtv i just keeped it on tv and it works fine for me

with my xbox it never game wit this "switch for tv or HDMI" :S newest model (not slimline but the jasper model)
i went out and bought a standard HDMI cable for £6.00! :D not a £16.00 Microsoft one with red white blue yellow... so it can be used for dvd players, sky boxes, so on :D but try with other peoples cables on other peoples tvs, clean it like Sky dragon said, then if all else fails send it off.
for people in UK i got the HDMI cable from the factory store!

i had the same problem with mine last year. Error code 63 or something like that where the GPU was being damaged because the thermal paste burnt through somehow. I took mine apart and fixed it. I do not recomend doing that though.

My A/V cable doesn't have any kind of a switch. I have one of the original core systems that came out a few years ago. As far as the insides go: I have taken everything out down to the board, cleaned, and then reapplied new thermal paste, Silver to be exact, and still just audio. I may have to bite the bullet and send it in. The worst part is, this a refurbished unit that I got back from Microsoft last year, because my original went out on me. Oh well, thanks again to everyone for providing some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back