Method to power amor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithica

Sr Member
I know most of us toggle switches to turn on the power to our armor but what if you could use a piece of the armor as a switch. Here is an example of using an AI Chip to toggle the power in your helmet. This method could be used for anything with a little modification based on the piece.

I will be posting more videos soon...

Ithica

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, can't wait to see a prototype. :)

I can see this as a good way to conserve your power source too.

I do have a concern though, as I am not an electrician, but would there be a risk of shock? Maybe apply some sort of rubberized coating around where you touch the chip.

I have several of my own ideas I am going to use but something you may want to consider would USB ports possibly. Ive got a junk pc that ive scavenged parts from so maybe ill give the sd card reader a yank too and see what i can wire up. the sd card itself could be the key to turn stuff on and off.

I was thinking about this the other night myself. I was thinking about mounting it in the rear of the body armor with a small laptop with good power connected to a USB HUB. Then anything you mount in the helmet itself (I was thinking of the lighting, small 2-inch monitor connected to a rear cameramounted in the back of the helmet, fans, etc) could be powered with USB. One cable to the helmet with the HUB mounted on the inside rear of side of the helmet. Then only one cable would be needed to connect the hemet to the laptop. With the minimal power draw the laptop could last several hours. Possible a netbook, becuase they are small and not
equipped with moving parts (DVD ROM).

As for the the electrical shoc potential, if your power draw is minimal and you use the proper sized wiring for the power draw you should have adequate insulation and low-heat build-up. If you go the USB route then the porblem is moot, provided your connections are insulated. Air flow may be an issue.

With your concept Iticha, I am not sure on the size on the AI chip, but what about incorporating the batteries into the design. Like a 4 AAA battery pack that you put your rechargable batteries into then insert the chip into the helmet and activate the accesories. When the chip is removed then the system is unenergized.

I do have a concern though, as I am not an electrician, but would there be a risk of shock? Maybe apply some sort of rubberized coating around where you touch the chip.

Touching those contacts wouldn't be dangerous if you just run the usual LEDs and fans, and resin is an isolator and the deep slot would provide mechanical protection as well. So there shouldn't be any danger here, unless you put something with a really high power drain in there.

I was thinking about this the other night myself. I was thinking about mounting it in the rear of the body armor with a small laptop with good power connected to a USB HUB.

You can get USB connectors from any well-sorted electronics store and hook them up to a 5V power supply of your own, that'll last even longer and save you three hundred bucks for the laptop and all the trouble of getting it into the armour. I know it's fancy to have one, but it really isn't neccessary, especially not as a power source. Also keep in mind that USB ports on computers generally provide only a very small current. I think 500 mA is the limit, and many laptops don't reach that in an effort to save power.

This is great! I think i have a cheaper way, just make the ai chip to scale, resin and what not, i fould some blueprints from HaloGoddess, just make a broken circut, like what Ithica showed but just take out the switch. Put the material to complete the circut at the end of the chip, so when you put in the chip into the slot, it completes the circut. The battery pack can go into the back off the helmet, and have the wires run along the inside of the helmet to the led's or fans.

Ok I see alot of posts stating the obvious of what I was saying. All thid basic chip is designed for is to complete the circuit. If people want to add aditions they can. Here is a second video covering the housing unit.

Ithica

Last edited by a moderator:
my question of intrigue was what started this it was a joke posed to ben streeper in his Q and A thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30082-Ask-the-Q-s-get-the-A-s-with-your-host-BenStreeper/page2 ... :/ this is way out of hand, maybe it will turn around the end result will decide...

Ithica Sir,
I agree with your methods and your logic is sound, however i will be working on a project parallel to yours.(if you would like to compare notes or veiw my own please feel free to ask.)
May the end be near in sight and your aim be true.

Thank you,
GakkenGod

Thats the exact same method I was telling others about in the thread you spoke of, Ithica. Yet as simple as the circuit would be others still have some crazy methods for what they think would work. I hope you can work out all the kinks and get it up and running so this thread can get stuck, because it's a genius idea.

Thats the exact same method I was telling others about in the thread you spoke of, Ithica. Yet as simple as the circuit would be others still have some crazy methods for what they think would work. I hope you can work out all the kinks and get it up and running so this thread can get stuck, because it's a genius idea.

I agree, some of us (me in particular) were thinking of something far too complicated. Ithica's design is genious in its simplicity.

One more thing I'd like to add, not sure if any of you have thought of this: Losing the card. No card means no lights, so it might be a good idea to hide a real switch somewhere in addition to the card-switch you're discussing here, just in case. A second slot just to store the card while not in use might also be a good idea.

One more thing I'd like to add, not sure if any of you have thought of this: Losing the card. No card means no lights, so it might be a good idea to hide a real switch somewhere in addition to the card-switch you're discussing here, just in case. A second slot just to store the card while not in use might also be a good idea.
True... hiding a switch that is set in off mode sitting right above the contact points, so if the card is lost a quick flip of a sliding button connects the circuit instead.

Always good idea to have an override switch when you are giving system control to something that is not 100% reliable.

Watched your vid ithica and I say leave the USB port on there, wire it up to a 5V source! lol That way you can charge your cell phone while you are out and about. ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back