TUT for Working Cortana AI Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I was wondering is if it would hold itself there...

No, but glue will.

The two things I fear most about doing this is
1) not angling it right and it not being able to line up and complete the circuit.
2) sins the chip would have to be at an angle to fit in the helmet it would just slide out.

Well, these are problems that can be solved, but they are also reasons why using a reed switch is unnecessarily complicated in the first place. Closing the contact mechanically would be a lot easier and most likely, as a side-effect, hold the chip in place.

As far as keeping the chip in, you're already using magnets to complete the circuit so just have the magnet contact a metal anchor on the chip to hold it in?

The chip is the magnet.

Ahh, I though the magnet was in the helm, but it makes more sense to have the reed switch in the helm with the magnets on the chip. Well then, magnet on chip just attaches to a piece of metal on the helm and still has more than enough magnetic force to close the reed switch. Blamo!

Here are updates with working model...will upload video of working homemade reed switch as soon as it finishes uploading
100_0248.jpg

100_0247.jpg

This is just everything soldered togeather before i installed the reed switch

Attachments

• 100_0248.jpg
    100_0248.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0247.jpg
    100_0247.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 88
Here is the video of working model remember when doing this put the reed switch in the helmet and the strong earth magnet in the cortana chip

Last edited by a moderator:
hey darknemisis wouldnt it make sense to run the led in the chip with some small cell batteries? soo that its lit almost always and put a small switch on it?

I get that. but as ithica was mentioning it would only be a switch, are you saying cortana is the powersupply... if soo that would be wayy cool too.

Not a power supply but the chip will close the connection causing the lights to come on and when the chip is removed the lights or whatever will shut off....thus making my model perfect for that purpose plus you can wire a crap load of stuff to the 9 volt battery as long as your resistance is right

agreed but can the AI chip have a seperate circut for its led while it is a circut connector its self soo you could say... Hand your AI off to someone else and it doesnt look like an empty chip.
I agree with you completely but i have some querys I hope you could answer and will benifit everyone.

you could run a seperate circuit in the chip to run a led for that I would just use a small 3volt cell battery and use a small tactile switch to cut it on and off with

you could run a seperate circuit in the chip to run a led for that I would just use a small 3volt cell battery and use a small tactile switch to cut it on and off with

thanks. hopefully armor makers will be able to swap their AI and the AI would actually contain data.

that would be awsome!!!

you could hide a small usb drive in the chip aswell if you wanted it to contain data but thats kind of james bondish for all of u all that have not seen the vid of the working prototype here it is

sorry 4 the double post but this will come in handy

Last edited by a moderator:
hey darknemisis wouldnt it make sense to run the led in the chip with some small cell batteries? soo that its lit almost always and put a small switch on it?

The idea of this whole thing is not to light up the chip, but to light up everything else. But of course you can put coin cells and another LED into the chip in addition to this. Coin cells don't have a lot of capacity though. Wikipedia says 200mAh (for one particular form factor), which seems plausible and would give you a run time of only ten hours if you use an LED with a current of 20mA.

yeah this working model is only to power up the armor once the cortana chip is inserted... with this working model you can run all of your led's off of it, sound effects if needed.... as far as i know this is the only working prototype around.. and very easy to solder up

I was going to post something about normally open vs normally closed reed switches, but then I remembered the last time I used reed switches was for an ammo clip. Magnet in the clip had to open the circuit so I needed the rarer NC switch.

For your Cortana chip you would use the common NO reed switch. It looks in the picture Ithica suggested is using a house window open sensor, so now I am curious to see the reed switch that you made.

Edit:
Coin cells don't have a lot of capacity though. Wikipedia says 200mAh (for one particular form factor), which seems plausible and would give you a run time of only ten hours if you use an LED with a current of 20mA.
Thinking about this, howabout a supercap to run the chip LEDs, plugging in the chip would charge the super cap which could easily run the chip fir an hour or two unplugged.

Thinking about this, howabout a supercap to run the chip LEDs, plugging in the chip would charge the super cap which could easily run the chip fir an hour or two unplugged.

A supercap sounds like a neat idea. That would eliminate not only the need to replace the coin cells all the time, but it would also allow you to completely close the thing up, or cast it from solid resin, with the electronics inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back